Fiberglass/plastic propane tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2013, 12:12 AM   #1

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Fiberglass/plastic propane tank

I saw this tank today it is brand new it passed the DOT regulations. Made of fiberglass/plastic. I read about it on RV Travels.
Attached Thumbnails
fiberglass propane tank.jpg  
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:22 AM   #2

Trailer: 1975 Boler
Registry
That should lighten some tongue weights (...and some wallets).
I've seen some sailboats at the marina with these. They look nifty! No rust or oxidization.

Now if only they could make stoves and furnaces that ran off of hydrogen (lighter than air!)
Evan Friesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:00 AM   #3

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
I've been looking at them too and like the look. I'm jus not sure how it would mount to my 13' scamp except with straps that go up the sides and under the handle. Has anyone here mounted onto the tongue?
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:14 AM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Considered it, but the cost and only 20% tank weight savings didn't sway me.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
I have thought about one of these for my trailer, the only thing that holds me back is the thought of someone stealing it.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The 20 # tank weighs 30% less saving 4-5 lbs; a nice savings for those like me that attempt to control tongue weight with a lighter tow vehicle. I also like the fact that it's something that does not rust and that I can clearly see the propane level, particularly handy because we have only one propane tank.

Lastly I don't worry about theft because only another RVer would know its value and I trust other RVers based on feelings and experience, nothing stolen in 2000+ nights.

Harley had one...Jim did you have any issues with it?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #7

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTTRV View Post
I saw this tank today it is brand new it passed the DOT regulations. Made of fiberglass/plastic. I read about it on RV Travels.
We have one and love it. Nice to be able to see how much propane you actually have.

As a former bicycle tourer, I still follow the thought process that if you take care of the ounces, the pounds will take care of themselves.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #8

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
It doesn't fit into the propane holder and the hold downs are not the right length, so some modifications are needed. We go through so little propane that we just filled it half full to decrease weight even more. At the time the 10 lb unit cost more than the 20 so we bought the 20. Sorry I did now. would have liked the smaller 10 lb tank.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have used these for several years in several trailers. They will fit the standard 20lb metal strap propane holder and do save weight. With one 25lb unit, you can observe your capacity and eliminate the double tank set up needed for the unobservable metal tanks. Thus you can save weight by going with a smaller overall tank capacity. Very expensive but worth it.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #10

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Anyone know how many years a fiberglass tank is certified for? Seems that steel tanks are certified for 12 years before needing recertification but I see conflicting information for the fiberglass tanks (5, 10, 12 etc).
Propane Cylinders - LP Gas Bottles
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Anyone know how many years a fiberglass tank is certified for? Seems that steel tanks are certified for 12 years before needing recertification but I see conflicting information for the fiberglass tanks (5, 10, 12 etc).
Propane Cylinders - LP Gas Bottles
According to the FAQ on this page, which is the same image Chuck posted, it's five years in the US: Frequently Asked Questions

Quote:
Does a cylinder have to be recertified and if so how often?
Re-certification is every 5 years for the US. This consists of visual inspection of the outer casing and pressure testing of the cylinder. Other countries may have differing times. Check with us for information on re-certification for markets outside the US.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #12

It seemed like last year when I was looking at these, there was one brand that was suppose to be better than some others ? Anyone know anything about the different brands ?
Old 02-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #13

Pennsylvania
Registry
From Amazon- you decide

Most Helpful Customer Reviews
8 of 9 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Not so clear. July 26, 2011
By W. Nicholls
I have both a 20lb Clear View tank and the competing Lite Cylinder composite tank. It's very difficult to see the liquid level in the Clear View cylinder. The tank itself is less transparent and the protective cover for the tank provides less visible tank area. The Clear View has a nicer handle than the Lite Cylinder, and the Clear View has more room for making tank connections. But checking fuel level is difficult enough that I'm considering another Lite Cylinder to replace it.

Another issue with Clear View you should check before buying: the tank is certified for 5 years after the date of manufacture. You should make sure you're buying a recently manufactured tank, otherwise you may find certification expiring soon. The manufacturing date is hard to find, but it's molded into the handle section of the tank cover. It's on the ring just above the seam where the handle meets the white section of the cover. Molded into the handle on top is a notice of the 5 year certification after manufacturing date. I suggest highlighting these two bits of info with a permanent marker so you can find them for your propane filling service to see.
Comment |
Was this review helpful to you?
Yes
No
2 of 3 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Best new product on the market November 21, 2012
By George P. Tyson Jr.
The Clear View cylinder by Ragasco is the latest in a safe, convenient replacement for the old metal LP cylinder. I no longer have rust rings on my deck from the rusty metal cylinders. I have two Clear View cylinders and I can stack them on top of each other. They are lighter than any cylinder on the market and I can see the fuel level easily. I read that the Clear View cylinder has been approved for a 10 year inspection cycle retroactive to all Clear View LP cylinders.
If you read the product documentation the Clear View cylinder is the only LP cylinder with a one piece pressure vessel with NO seams. It is also the only LP cylinder with NO failures, NO explosions. If safety is important to you then you should purchase the Clear View cylinder.
Comment |
Was this review helpful to you?
Yes
No
Old 02-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #14

Thanks Jim, I do remember seeing those but I couldn't remember where. So which kind do you have Jim ?
Old 02-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #15

Pennsylvania
Registry
Lite Cylinder were the ones I purchased, 1x20 for my T@da, 1x30 for my last trailer
Old 02-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #16

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I have a 30 pounder which I purchased as a "takeoff" from Jim (tare wgt.=18.8lbs matching that of 20lb. steel tank and 12.5Kilogram=27.5lb [nominally 30] capacity for full wgt=48lb.) I like everything about the tank: reduction in tare wgt.; visibility of contents. It is marked "Life of tank 15 years.." Not sure if this is the reinspection interval. I also have a steel 40pounder which is a weighty proposition to get on and off the tongue.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #17

Thanks Jim.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #18

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have the 10 pound one, which replaced a 30 pound steel monster that came with my trailer. I don't heat with the tank - it just powers cooking - so I like not driving around with 5 years worth of propane stuck to the trailer.

We did macgyver up a strap thingie to hold it down.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #19

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Interesting... would be ice to have an idea of how much fuel is in the tank, and it looks like the 20lb composite tank is 18" tall and so is the steel tank so it should fit. I do use heat, but if I could honestly look at the tank and know its mostly full so Im good for a weekend why carry an extra 40lbs on the tongue with a steel tank thats full when 1 composite tank would do...Ive seen the 25lb tanks for sale not finding a 30 lb'er.

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #20

Pennsylvania
Registry
25 lb is the max size when I last looked and yes, with the visual aspect you could eliminate the dual tank set up to save weight.

Tags
propane