Fiberglass rigs with plywood bottoms - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-15-2015, 10:16 AM   #15

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I purchased a Trillium that has a caved in roof. Sat that way for five years I am told. The rain gutters around the top openings in the dinette and gaucho, and the interior fibreglass floor kept the plywood that is sandwiched between the outside shell, and the inside shell, dry and rot free. Since I had planned to wreck this trailer for parts, I was more surprised by this then anyone.

Trillium has since revised the design of the top openings of the gaucho and dinette seats to remove the gutters. I think this is a mistake.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:22 AM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: Camp-Inn
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I purchased a Trillium that has a caved in roof. Sat that way for five years I am told. The rain gutters around the top openings in the dinette and gaucho, and the interior fibreglass floor kept the plywood that is sandwiched between the outside shell, and the inside shell, dry and rot free. Since I had planned to wreck this trailer for parts, I was more surprised by this then anyone.
Further proves the worth of fiberglass as the essential construction model.
Begging Escape to put me on any list to buy a 17B contract that people are canceling. No soap-- too much demand!

Old 09-15-2015, 11:50 AM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
My old 1978 13-foot Scamp had/has 1/2-inch plywood floors, that are attached to the side walls with fiberglass tabbing.

There is no fiberglass on the floor except where I added it.

Bill
My 92 Scamp has a wood floor that has been covered in a fiberglass resin.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:23 PM   #18

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
My 10X12 skid shed is made entirely of 7/16 OSB on 2X3 framing. Even the floor is made of the same material. It has shingles on the roof and a single coat of paint applied in 1997 when it was built. It had become unsightly over the years and I hate to paint... so last week I sided it with vinyl siding. I found no rot anywhere in the structure. Many people who eschew the use of OSB in travel trailers may be unaware that the house in which they live is largely made from the stuff.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:55 PM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Many people who eschew the use of OSB in travel trailers may be unaware that the house in which they live is largely made from the stuff.
I agree there is nothing wrong with the use of OSB (my 23 year old Scamp is proof of that) providing the trailers owner is diligent in fixing leaks as they happen rather than waiting months/years for the floor to rot out.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:38 AM   #20

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Ohio
Wood flooring

Oliver does not have any wood in it!! Floor is fiberglass.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:42 PM   #21

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Oliver does not have any wood in it!! Floor is fiberglass.
But your house does, and the Oliver is even cheaper and easier to tow!
Old 09-16-2015, 05:57 PM   #22

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Scamp floors: In the 70's - mid 80's Scamp used plywood floors. I think in 1984 when scamp started installing the radius windows is about when they switched to OSB. I have seen 1/2" plywood in 70's scamps. In the 80 Scamps I usually see 5/8" floors. A 85 S-19 was the first 3/4" rear floor I encountered. In the 2000> Scamps I see 3/4" floors.
Every Scamp I have seen has had the bottom coated with resin. I don't think Scamp seals the edges drilled holes but I have hot seen any issues from that pratice. Floors rot from leaks from above and more so from neglect not from road spray. This applies to all makes of trailers.
Eddie
Old 09-16-2015, 06:20 PM   #23

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Scamp floors: ....I don't think Scamp seals the edges drilled holes but I have hot seen any issues from that practice. Floors rot from leaks from above and more so from neglect not from road spray. This applies to all makes of trailers.
Eddie
Thanks for that informative post. Even if its not been a problem, I think it might be good insurance to DIY for the cut edges. I'll look at my Scamp when I get it and decide then, but I think I will do some sealing on the cut edges of the holes just for peace of mind.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:53 PM   #24

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Gordon
I just installed a toilet in my Scamp. I sealed the edges of the drain hole with resin. Scamp and I installed a wax ring under the toilet and sometimes a little wax comes out the hole for the black water drain but there is no issue with that. If you have a shower a hole will be cut around the trap. The gray water tank vent loops up under the dinette and back through the floor and that vent line is sealed. The sink drain goes through a fitting in the top of the gray water tank along with a vent line. They come through the floor under the dinette but they are covered on the underside by the tank. The fresh water drain and vent are usually sealed with silicone.
Eddie
Old 09-16-2015, 11:58 PM   #25

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
This subject has been covered many times including calling Scamp. The floor is 3/4" OBS the bottom side is coated with resin. The top is painted.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:28 AM   #26

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Thanks Eddie.. I copied your message to my notes file.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:25 AM   #27

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
If you watch the Scamp video, toward the end they will show the production. You can see the flooring and watch them putting on the tanks, etc.: Helpful Videos - Scamp Trailers
Old 09-17-2015, 08:45 AM   #28

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
OSB has the advantage that it is cheaper than plywood. It is also much heavier. Maybe that partly explains why early trailers weighed less than today's. Weight doesn't matter much in your house; could even be an advantage. But in something rolling, not so good. I would guess my 13 is 50 pounds heavier with its OSB floor vs. plywood. And you could subtract another 50-100 pounds if you replaced all the man-made sawdust and glue wood panel products in the cabinetry with plywood. Such substitutions might add $100 - $200 dollars to the cost of your rig depending on how much wood cabinetry you have.

Quality plywood also is more moisture resistant and less prone to rot than OSB. But no wood product will stand continuous moist conditions over months, unless its filled with fungicides, which are chemicals I would want to breath every night. 4000-year-old wood in dry Egyptian tombs is still in good condition. Absence of water is key to longevity. Mold/rot cannot grow without water.

John

John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote