Fibreglass Paint Job - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2019, 09:38 AM   #1

Name: Sonja
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
Fibreglass Paint Job

Hi there, I’m new to this forum! I own a 1978 Honey Boler that I would like to refinish (eventually to run a small business out of!!)
Does anybody know where a good place is to get a paint job and get a new window put into my Boler?
Appreciate any help!!
Thanks,
Sonja
Attached Thumbnails
0346FB57-1672-4602-B0F2-2B086120271B.jpg  
SonjaMueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #2

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Sonja

cute little Boler you've got there.

Sure, and autobody shop can easily handle a job like this, or ask at your local RV supply store for recommendations for a garage mechanic/painter who can handle a task like this. (they often have folks they regularly deal with)

it's probably gonna cost you a few bucks, so be somewhat prepared.

Welcome to the asylum!
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:08 PM   #3

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Don't be somewhat prepared for the price, be very very prepared
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The GOOD news is, they'll use a "PPG" style quality paint that will NOT "yellow"!!

Well that is if you use "white"!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I keep reading that a boat place is the go-to for painting since they are the fiberglass pros. Not true?
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:57 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
I painted ours myself. The painting is the easy part. All the prep for painting is hard work. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180824_174753.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	128794Click image for larger version

Name:	20180828_173929.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	128795Click image for larger version

Name:	20180824_174727.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	128796
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:10 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Nice work.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #8

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Nice work.
Thanks
Old 04-11-2019, 02:22 AM   #9

Name: Donna
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy
Florida
Painting your trailer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
I painted ours myself. The painting is the easy part. All the prep for painting is hard work. Attachment 128794Attachment 128795Attachment 128796
WOWZA!! FAntabulous job you've done there! omgosh...incredible~ can you share what sort of paint you used...technique,etc. Thanks much!
DonnaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:06 AM   #10

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
Sonja

cute little Boler you've got there.

Sure, and autobody shop can easily handle a job like this, or ask at your local RV supply store for recommendations for a garage mechanic/painter who can handle a task like this. (they often have folks they regularly deal with)

it's probably gonna cost you a few bucks, so be somewhat prepared.

Welcome to the asylum!
:For Fibre Glass check out your nearest Marine store, same goes for the paint you will need, if you have a Princess auto in your area check out the cost of a Air Sprayer and then go to the library and read up about painting with air. You will need to check out the problems with the body on the Boler first see if the FG needs some body work, you can do this kind of work yourself but again go to the Library and read up on this or go to Google on the internet, probably better than the Library.
If my wife who has never in her life restored a car can do it then anyone can do it except for my brother who cannot even ban a nail into a wall.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:57 AM   #11

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMarie View Post
WOWZA!! FAntabulous job you've done there! omgosh...incredible~ can you share what sort of paint you used...technique,etc. Thanks much!
I used Interlux Brightside primer and paint. It was applied by the roll and tip technique.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:59 AM   #12

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
For fiberglass repairs YouTube boatworks today. Great tutorials.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:29 AM   #13

Name: Donna
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy
Florida
Thanks! I'm sure those with (as I'm finding with ours) fiberglass shells that are older & getting "quite thin" as we've been told...are going to contemplate the -what next? scenario. We'd priced having it done by a "pro" in an auto body paint establishment. Between 7-10,000. I don't think so!You did a beautiful job!
DonnaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:05 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Surprised no one has mentioned contacting an auto body class at a trade school.
This is not a new idea, remember Corvettes are made of fiberglass too.
No idea on the window.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:24 AM   #15

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMarie View Post
Thanks! I'm sure those with (as I'm finding with ours) fiberglass shells that are older & getting "quite thin" as we've been told...are going to contemplate the -what next? scenario. We'd priced having it done by a "pro" in an auto body paint establishment. Between 7-10,000. I don't think so!You did a beautiful job!
Our paint job cost under $1000 for all the fiberglassing materials and paint. A lot of YouTube videos from Boatworks Today and how to roll and tip painting techniques. All done by myself. No man hours included but lots of them. Should be more like man days or months. lol.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:37 AM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Being a retired body shop mgr. my advice would be the do all the prep work yourself, that is sand and primer the fiberglass surface yourself, all the labor is here, putting on the paint is the easy part. If this is not to your skill level, or liking it's going to be big bucks for someone to do this. I've given advice to some on how to do the prep work and given them some guidance along the way. They then took there trailer to one of those paint shop that advertise complete paint jobs for a low reasonable price and ended up with a very nice paint job. The paint shop mainly just had to tape it off, wipe it down, and apply the paint. White is the cheapest color to go with and will show less imperfection then any other color, probably the best way to go for the do it yourself person.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:37 AM   #17

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Motorcycle shop?

I've always (well,mostly) liked the colorful ways some motorcycles are painted. Thought if I got my trailer repainted I might check out one of the artists who does motorcycles.

The question being...would someone who specializes in motorcycle art be able to paint fiberglass correctly? Or are they metal only?

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:08 PM   #18

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post
I've always (well,mostly) liked the colorful ways some motorcycles are painted. Thought if I got my trailer repainted I might check out one of the artists who does motorcycles.

The question being...would someone who specializes in motorcycle art be able to paint fiberglass correctly? Or are they metal only?

Mon
Many motorcycles have a lot of fiberglass parts on 'em. Things like saddlebags, fairings, and side covers are either glass or ABS plastic.

Why would you want someone who specializes in custom paintjobs paint your trailer for??

Do you wanna flame it or something??

(this is mine btw)
Attached Thumbnails
Tour Glide Flamed big.jpg  
Old 04-22-2019, 07:23 PM   #19

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Nice ride! Done any Iron Butt?

Would like a bike artist because they REALLY personalize the work they do. Especially like the murals they do on a bike...figure it would look almost as nice on a trailer!

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:34 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
When you're resting in camp with your companion and food and drink, reading a book or playing cards, do you appreciate random strangers approaching to discuss your paint job? I'd not myself, but you might, and if so, should be prepared for it.

Tags
paint