Final Decisions Before Ordering Casita Liberty Deluxe - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-06-2007, 01:44 PM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Congratulations, Patrick! Sounds like you have put together a terrific Casita!

Old 06-06-2007, 02:28 PM   #16

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
Having had our 13' for three years, and loving it, I must say there's something to be said for simplicity and ease of setup!

Check back with me a year from now for a real nostalgic look at the Scamp 13'!
Patrick, having had a couple of 13s myself over the years, I'll tell you that some of the best and most memorable trips I've taken I took with them in tow. I will also tell you I'll never have another as they're just too small for my liking.

Excellent choice, and best wishes!

Roger

Old 06-12-2007, 01:10 AM   #17

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1996 Dakota 4x4 V6
Congratulations on the order Patrick.
Curiously, in the earlier thread (maybe that was over at casitaclub), I said your options sounded a lot like how I ordered my Spirit.
Now that you've ordered, I find it interesting that your delivery date is Sept 14th...
my delivery date was Sept 14th, 2004!
WEIRD!
This summer will seem like an eternity to you, but be assured the time actually will pass!
P
Old 06-12-2007, 07:11 AM   #18

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
Arizona
Cue the Twilight Zone music!

A road trip in July to a reunion will remind us of what we're missing with every motel stop! We don't have a dog (just a smuggable parrot), but I see that Holiday Inn Express wants a $25 unrefundable "deposit" if you stay with a dog! Wow!

Speaking of the option list, I ordered a second "cable ready" connection (with cable just loose in the cabinet) and Casita came back with a whopping $78 charge! I hate being ripped off so will probably drop that and just try to run my own in some fashion.

The mod to-do list is already growing!
Old 06-12-2007, 07:21 AM   #19

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I stayed in a hotel with my pets ONCE. I was on the road on a cross country move and using a van as a camper. I wanted a shower and a television..

The dog was perfectly behaved. The CAT, however...

Found a hole in the under lining of the box springs.. and stayed there for the nite.. was REAL fun getting him out the next morning. I tried chasing him around by pushing up on his belly from underneath.. like pushing a bubble around when you put a sticker on your car..

The cat was unscathed.. however, my back and the box spring were a bit damaged.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:44 PM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 2012 19' Escape
California
oh Patrick! the new Casita sounds GREAT!

and you can have visitation rights for Little Miss Scampi - she is VERY happy these days (but she misses you too)

Old 06-12-2007, 01:13 PM   #21

Arizona
Carol, we hope to meet you and visit Little Miss Scampi at a rally one of these months!

In comptemplating our future Casita we cannot but help missing the simplicity, yet completeness of the Scamp 13', and I think we will especially miss our big front picture window, as the Casita will have none of that. Not to mention now I have to know all about Weight Distributing Hitches, Sway Bars and pushing in steps to avoid knocking them off (ask me how I know that happens!).

But alas, an incident on our last trip to Portland pushed us (us?, the spouse says) over the edge and into Casita land. We were at a high-end RV resort in Bend OR. Very nice, very expensive, and oh did I mention, they lock the bathrooms at 9:30PM, and unlock them at 6:30AM. Okay, I can live with that, pretty much, maybe for a year or two more, but only if they indeed open them at 6:30AM. So it's 6:30. I be waiting at the door. Locked. Now it's 6:45, no one in sight. Return to the Scamp and eyeing vegetation hearby, wander back to the bathroom and now it's open, it's 7:00. So now thinking a more complete bathroom facility might be handy, and thus we now have you with the Scamp, and us in the Casita queue! Win - win!
Old 06-12-2007, 01:17 PM   #22

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
My take:
  • Antenna with Amp $129 -- With digital HDTV signals -- due two years from now -- you either get the signal on your antenna or you don't. Amplifiers won't help.
  • Vinyl Flooring $195 -- I'd save the money and install laminate (Pergo-type) flooring for 1/4 the cost.
  • TV Shelf ($49) -- I'd save the $50 toward an LCD flat panel & mount.
  • Microwave ($185) -- Our trailer came with wiring for a microwave. Got a nice microwave for $30 at Home Depot and I could run it on a 1000w Honda generator if I really wanted to.
  • Electric Jack ($250) -- Cordless Drill, $50, good for other stuff, too.
  • Sway Bar ($155) -- I'd put the money toward a better brake controller that I can use the manual control on to stop sway. I'd only install a sway bar later if I found I needed it.
  • Outside Shower ($115) -- This is one thing I would buy. Our trailer doesn't have one, but I may put one in for rinsing off after long, dirty hikes, to get beach sand off our feet before going inside, and cleaning my hands off after dumping.
  • 25 Gallon Water Tank ($45) -- 6 gallon water bottle, $14. Easier to take to the faucet for filling than hitching up the whole trailer.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:13 PM   #23

Name: Vivian
Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Washington
Patrick,

I can understand your frustration with the locked restrooms, and wonder why they don't provide a key or "code" for their registered guests. Few are the people who can go (or not go) all night without a restroom. Thanks for the heads-up on that park...I think they changed ownership recently.

Vivian
Old 06-12-2007, 05:02 PM   #24

Arizona
It was very odd. They cater mainly to the Big Rig crowd, who have saunas and other stuff and don't need their facilities. They did have a nice laundry, though.

Our next stop in Portland had push-button locks on the doors, which worked just fine.

Peter: Thanks for your ideas, which are spot-on, however this will be our splurge-expenditure for this decade so I'm trying to automate and eliminate-manual-effort on this one! The TV shelf is for the Directv Tivo tuner - there will be an LCD mount too!
Old 06-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #25

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I just noticed the reference to cable for satellite TV... satellite receivers normally specify RG-6 cable, rather than the RG-59 normally used for cable TV service. They have the same characteristic impedance (75 ohm), but RG-6 typically has better shielding and lower loss. If you install your own cable, I suggest putting in decent RG-6, even though it will be stiffer and thus more difficult to route. The RG-6 is not needed for campground cable TV or the antenna connection, but it will be at least as good as RG-59 for those purposes. It's a lot easier to put the right stuff in first rather than change it out later!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:22 PM   #26

Arizona
Having had Directv for 10 years, I have a house, garage, roof (flat roofs here in the desert) and former Scamp, full of RG-6!
Old 06-13-2007, 07:24 PM   #27

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Having had Directv for 10 years, I have a house, garage, roof (flat roofs here in the desert) and former Scamp, full of RG-6!
I wrote a regular feature about networking & communication for one of Microsoft's websites for several years . . . so, when we had a new house built, I had network cabling and telephone runs installed to every place I could possibly want one so I could write about it in my high-tech, gee-wiz kinda column.

There is a LAN connection on the side of the house, just under the roof eaves. Just in case I wanted to install an Internet-based automatic weather station on the roof.

There is a LAN+TV connection at the back of the house, near where the hot tub is. Every nerd's paradise needs a hot tub complete with remote controls to adjust the temperature before they get home and have the hot tub send email reminders to change the filter and let the owner know it needs watter added or chlorine or a pH adjustment.

The next people who own this house are really gonna wonder about me.

--Peter
Old 06-13-2007, 07:51 PM   #28

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
The next people who own this house are really gonna wonder about me.
--Peter
And so do the people on this forum

Peter!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita