Final Decisions Before Ordering Casita Liberty Deluxe - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2007, 04:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
After making 10 trips and covering 26,000 miles, we decided to sell our Scamp 13' and move up to a Casita 17'. The twin bed Liberty version appealed to us, so we will be ordering that model, leaving only the published and unpublished options to be decided upon.

Any comments on these choices would be appreciated, or anything I might want to consider that perhaps I haven't, would also be welcome.

Options we're adding for sure:
Furnace $395
Awning $635
TV Antenna with Amp $129
Cable Ready Connection $32
Fantastic Roof Vent $195
Water Heater Upgrade (provides electronic ignition) $195
High Lift Axle for easier dumping/future 15" tires $85
Vinyl Flooring $195 (they're sure proud of this!)

Options we're skipping:
Range/Sink Covers ($50) - I'll make my own.
TV Shelf ($49) - This was iffy. Since they're removable they might be useful, but not sure I would use one. Any TV we get would be hung from the cabinet bottom.
Accessory Package ($53) - Got all this stuff.
Microwave ($185) - Didn't know they even cost that much anymore! Will add our own or use space for storage.
Electric Jack ($250) - Would be nice, but can add later if cranking gets me cranky! (Unpublished item)
Refrigerator Fan ($?) - Camping World/Wal-Mart item. (Unpublished item)
5" Foam in Cushions ($?) - Cushions will be replaced with more suitable bed foam. (Unpublished item)

Options still up in the air over - and the clock is ticking!
Sway Bar ($155) - I need to see if this includes the welding of the plates and small balls on the hitch. If yes, then it might be a good price. If not, then I'll bring my own to Rice when I pick it up and pay them to install it.
Outside Shower ($115) - I think it would be useful, spouse disagrees. Certainly not a "must have". Stay tuned for results!
25 Gallon Water Tank ($45) - I thought this was a definite "yes", but discussions with a Casita owner who dry camps, leads me to think I'd rather have the extra storage space. The facts are 1) we travel with only a few gallons of water, 2) we are 1/3 RV Park, 1/3 Campgrounds, 1/3 Boondocks, so most of the time we will have hose water, 3) 15 would be enough for several days of showers, 3) I can always toke 5 gallons of water over from a community faucet if I need to refill.

And finally, Things I want Casita to do
Don't hang spice rake or bathroom rack. Will do my own.
Provide plain tire cover. Would be glad to advertise for them for a small fee!
Run a second cable TV line for Directv service.

So I think that's it unless I've missed something. Will appreciate any and all comments! Will also be spreading this message around so you may see it elsewhere.
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:03 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
anything I might want to consider that perhaps I haven't, would also be welcome.

[b]Options we're adding for sure:

And finally, [b]Things I want Casita to do
Provide plain tire cover.
If you go to 15" tires, then a Continental Kit would look nicer than a vinyl tire cover...
Old 06-05-2007, 05:20 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I ordered a new Trill.I will have solar panel mounted.This may be good for you also.

The cable ready connection you ordered can be done by your self in 10 min and cost $5.00 At least thats what it cost me 4 years ago.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:38 PM   #4

I don't disagree about the Cable Ready cable. It's run inside the rear cabinet, so no big deal. What I don't know is where it comes out on the outside and what that looks like. Does anyone have a picture of that?

Continental kit!
Old 06-05-2007, 05:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I thought the TV antenna and amp supplied by Casita was a bust
The rest that you've chosen sounds GREAT!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #6

The new 'internal" antenna has gotten mixed reviews. If you can see the red lights on the tower, you get a ppicture, otherwise maybe not. The reason for including it is: 1) its hidden, 2) it will work somewhat, and 3) its better than rabbit ears on top of the rock guard put up in the rain as I did with the Scamp.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:50 AM   #7
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Options we're adding for sure:
Furnace $395
Awning $635
TV Antenna with Amp $129
Cable Ready Connection $32
Fantastic Roof Vent $195
Water Heater Upgrade (provides electronic ignition) $195
Vinyl Flooring $195 (they're sure proud of this!)
They sure are. I wouldn't pay extra for it. But that's just me...

Options we're skipping:
Range/Sink Covers ($50) - I'll make my own.
TV Shelf ($49) - This was iffy. Since they're removable they might be useful, but not sure I would use one. Any TV we get would be hung from the cabinet bottom.
This is useful for more than just the tellyvision; such as, where else you gonna put the flowers you give your wife on her birthday?
Microwave ($185) - Didn't know they even cost that much anymore! Will add our own or use space for storage.
You can definitely do this cheaper yourself!
Electric Jack ($250) - Would be nice, but can add later if cranking gets me cranky! (Unpublished item)
Refrigerator Fan ($?) - Camping World/Wal-Mart item. (Unpublished item)
5" Foam in Cushions ($?) - Cushions will be replaced with more suitable bed foam. (Unpublished item)

Options still up in the air over - and the clock is ticking!
Sway Bar ($155) - I need to see if this includes the welding of the plates and small balls on the hitch. If yes, then it might be a good price. If not, then I'll bring my own to Rice when I pick it up and pay them to install it.
Outside Shower ($115) - I think it would be useful, spouse disagrees. Certainly not a "must have". Stay tuned for results!
25 Gallon Water Tank ($45) - I thought this was a definite "yes", but discussions with a Casita owner who dry camps, leads me to think I'd rather have the extra storage space. The facts are 1) we travel with only a few gallons of water, 2) we are 1/3 RV Park, 1/3 Campgrounds, 1/3 Boondocks, so most of the time we will have hose water, 3) 15 would be enough for several days of showers, 3) I can always toke 5 gallons of water over from a community faucet if I need to refill.
I wouldn't want to store anything on top of my water tank anyway, because of condensation issues and shifting when underway; I like having more fresh water capacity - it means less frequent trips to the faucet for the refill.

And finally, Things I want Casita to do
Don't hang spice rake or bathroom rack. Will do my own.
Provide plain tire cover. Would be glad to advertise for them for a small fee!
Run a second cable TV line for Directv service.
I don't understand why you can't use the other cable connection; you're not likely to have cable and DirecTV hooked up simultaneously, are you?

So I think that's it unless I've missed something. Will appreciate any and all comments! Will also be spreading this message around so you may see it elsewhere.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:14 AM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
What kind of antenna is it?

One of the pleasant surprises I got with my 17 was the batwing antenna. It is something I never would have thrown into a package if it was being ordered new, but I have found it to be a useful and well working item MOST of the time. It has only failed me once, at Lake San Antonio.

I even got a sketchy picture from LA stations way up at Heartbar.. pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

I can even get stations at my house, where NO ONE can get anything with a regular antenna.

The jury is out for when HDTV attacks us all...
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:16 AM   #9

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Patrick, I've had two of the hidden TV antennas. You called it right. Unfortunately, not much else is offered is terribly much more useful. The TV shelf is useful, if not for a TV then just as a little extra horizontal surface for "stuff" now and again.

I've had three outside showers now, and the only time I use them is to winterize them. If I did beach camping, I suppose they'd be useful. I certainly don't consider it a make/break item.

I think a larger fresh water tank is always a plus even if you seldom use it, it's nice to have the capacity should you need it.

And... if you can have them install the 15" tires/wheels at the factory, just go ahead and have it done. It'll save you time and $$$ in the long term.

Otherwise, it looks to me like you've got it covered!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:23 AM   #10

Registry
Fresh water...

with one person, including showers, it lasts about 3 days boondocking.

The GRAY tank, however, I really wish was much larger. I haven't measured it, but the lit says it's "twice as large" as the fresh. It looks to be twice as SMALL, and I can get maybe two quick showers and a couple loads of dishes before I have to dump.

Filling the fresh is easy compared to dumping the gray when boondocking...maybe go the reverse?
Old 06-06-2007, 11:17 AM   #11

Liberty is in the queue!
Well, the trigger has been pulled, and the Casita Liberty Deluxe ordered today for a September 14th pickup date.

I want to thank everyone that responded to the post with their opinions and ideas. In addition to these current comments, I also read many of the previous postings on the same subject, so I believe I have a good understanding of the pros and cons of the various options that Casita offers.

One conclusion I've reached is that while some of the choices are important, like the A/C, many of the rest are not critical to the enjoyment of the trailer, and the quality of the adventures to be had will not be depended on whether you have carpet or vinyl, or 16 gallons or 25!

Thanks again to all, and see ya' down the road!

Our final list:
Furnace $395 (16,000 BTU now)
Awning $635
TV Antenna with Amp $129
Cable Ready Connection (Two) $64~
Fantastic Roof Vent $195
Water Heater Upgrade $195
High Lift Axle $85
Vinyl Flooring $195
TV Shelf (Two) ($98)
Outside Shower ($115)
25 Gallon Water Tank ($45)
Electric Jack ($250) (Three years of Christmas presents to myself!)
Sway Bar Welded Ball ($15) - I will provide sway bar via etrailer.

Options we're skipping:
Range/Sink Covers ($50)
Accessory Package ($53)
Microwave ($185)
Refrigerator Fan ($?)
5" Foam in Cushions ($?)

Things Casita will do
Don't hang spice rake, paper towel holder or bathroom rack.
Install Sway Bar

Things Casita will NOT do
Install single-arm Weight Distributing Hitch. They only will provide and/or install dual arm.
Provide a plain tire cover. Ain't goin' do it anymore!
Old 06-06-2007, 11:27 AM   #12
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Oh, goodie!! You can get two bouquets for that birthday!!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:33 AM   #13

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Congratulations Patrick, sounds like an awesome order just in time for fall camping. You have to change over your trailer type on your tag now.

Gina, I never thought about those tanks being so small and how quickly they'd fill up. With four of us we'd have to hitch up and go to the dump station every day if we had a full bath. Glad now we just have a 13' with a porta-potty.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:41 AM   #14

Having had our 13' for three years, and loving it, I must say there's something to be said for simplicity and ease of setup!

Check back with me a year from now for a real nostalgic look at the Scamp 13'!
Old 06-06-2007, 12:44 PM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Congratulations, Patrick! Sounds like you have put together a terrific Casita!
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:28 PM   #16

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Having had our 13' for three years, and loving it, I must say there's something to be said for simplicity and ease of setup!

Check back with me a year from now for a real nostalgic look at the Scamp 13'!
Patrick, having had a couple of 13s myself over the years, I'll tell you that some of the best and most memorable trips I've taken I took with them in tow. I will also tell you I'll never have another as they're just too small for my liking.

Excellent choice, and best wishes!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:10 AM   #17

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1996 Dakota 4x4 V6
Congratulations on the order Patrick.
Curiously, in the earlier thread (maybe that was over at casitaclub), I said your options sounded a lot like how I ordered my Spirit.
Now that you've ordered, I find it interesting that your delivery date is Sept 14th...
my delivery date was Sept 14th, 2004!
WEIRD!
This summer will seem like an eternity to you, but be assured the time actually will pass!
P
Palmer M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:11 AM   #18

Cue the Twilight Zone music!

A road trip in July to a reunion will remind us of what we're missing with every motel stop! We don't have a dog (just a smuggable parrot), but I see that Holiday Inn Express wants a $25 unrefundable "deposit" if you stay with a dog! Wow!

Speaking of the option list, I ordered a second "cable ready" connection (with cable just loose in the cabinet) and Casita came back with a whopping $78 charge! I hate being ripped off so will probably drop that and just try to run my own in some fashion.

The mod to-do list is already growing!
Old 06-12-2007, 06:21 AM   #19

Registry
I stayed in a hotel with my pets ONCE. I was on the road on a cross country move and using a van as a camper. I wanted a shower and a television..

The dog was perfectly behaved. The CAT, however...

Found a hole in the under lining of the box springs.. and stayed there for the nite.. was REAL fun getting him out the next morning. I tried chasing him around by pushing up on his belly from underneath.. like pushing a bubble around when you put a sticker on your car..

The cat was unscathed.. however, my back and the box spring were a bit damaged.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:44 AM   #20

Trailer: 2004 Scamp 13 ft
oh Patrick! the new Casita sounds GREAT!

and you can have visitation rights for Little Miss Scampi - she is VERY happy these days (but she misses you too)

Carol A. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita