Finished Painting the exterior of my scamp today - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: 13 foot 1992 SCAMP
Arizona
Finished Painting the exterior of my scamp today

I don't like the in your face 1970s Scamp logo, so I designed my own - and got them laser cut out of reflective vinyl. IS IT WRONG OF ME TO CHANGE THE LOGO? I just hated the size and the diagonal angle it sat on....

I am the biggest idiot painter so I went with the Rustolium spay cans, and just scratched the gel coat with a light sand paper instead of a primer - works great!

Must look OK as a random stranger drove up to my front yard and asked me if I wanted to sell it... I was a little offended as I was clearly working on the trailer, but now I take it as a compliment.
Attached Thumbnails
image-48361130.jpg   image-2670146500.jpg  

image-354091414.jpg   image-1231503269.jpg  

image-518077602.jpg   image-295397841.jpg  

image-4181978637.jpg   image-196491272.jpg  

image-2117322712.jpg   image-85106753.jpg  

GROVER 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Less is more.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #3

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: UHaul
California
Registry
Great Job, Brian!

I remember when you first brought the Scamp home and posted. I thought it was a good acquisition in pretty good shape....you made her a "Looker"! No wonder the passerby made an offer to buy her.

Enjoy...Enjoy!
luvrOlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:56 PM   #4

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Looks great, very classy.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #5

Arizona
Thanks for cudos! What amazes me is that this trailer is over 20 years old, and it cleans up nicely with a little paint job , that glossy floor wax, and a good cleaning.

My wife thinks it looks like an Igloo Cooler...ha! Yes I sorta see what she is talking about, but she likes it.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
You could say these trailers are like women. A little bit of makeup tastefully applied often looks better than gawdiness.
I guess that makes you a makeup artist. Well done.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:45 AM   #7

Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
California
Isn’t it amazing what a fresh paint job will do? I’ve only had my Burro out of paint for a week and have had 4 people try and buy it.
gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Amazing---and I love your new lettering!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #9

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16' 2012 Jeep Wrangler JK 4 Door
Lancaster County Pa
Registry
Looks great !! I like your idea with the logo, the original is to big.Thanks for telling us about your painting method,that's the way I'm going to do mine. If that makes you an idiot than I'll join you !!
jgraps1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Awesome paint job. I really really like your color selection. In fact, your trailer would look really good towed behind my truck.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #11

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
I like the bottle top in the last picture. Makes the Scamp look like a toy...
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Less is more.
I totally agree!
When I dolled up my vehicles I always tried to have more by doing less.

Your trailer looks exceptionally clean and crisp.

Great job!
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #13

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Great job and from "Rustolium spay cans". How many cans did it take?Did you put a clear coat on it too?
I knew a girl that had nice paint job on her car. I asked her who did it and she said she did. I was getting ready to ask her to do mine until I got within a foot of the car and saw the hairs from the paint brush. She used a gal of house paint,lol. But it looked good from a far.
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #14

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
Great job and from "Rustolium spay cans". How many cans did it take?Did you put a clear coat on it too?
I knew a girl that had nice paint job on her car. I asked her who did it and she said she did. I was getting ready to ask her to do mine until I got within a foot of the car and saw the hairs from the paint brush. She used a gal of house paint,lol. But it looked good from a far.
I think I bought 9 Spray cans, but only used 6 or 7 - not saying its a perfect paint job, but for a trailer it looks great. I would not suggest you go spray painting your car. I also used that Red Max floor wax for the gloss coating. The white is just the fiberglass cleaned and glossed with the floor wax, with the exception of the rock shield. I had to spray paint that white because when I peeled the original decal off, it left a bright white mark in the shape of the scamp lettering because the decal protected thefiber glass from weathering/UV rays.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #15

Name: marie
Trailer: shopping
North Carolina
painting scamp

What exact type of rustoleum spray paint did you use? Is it one made specifically for fiberglass, or automotive paint? Can it be purchased at a regular hardware store? Does it come in alot of colors? Did you use the floor wax on the repainted portion of the scamp or just the top? Great job by the way! :-)
Sweet Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #16

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Many articles I've read on this issue, many say to use Rustoleum Marine paint.

And to the forum Marie.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #17

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Apple View Post
What exact type of rustoleum spray paint did you use? Is it one made specifically for fiberglass, or automotive paint? Can it be purchased at a regular hardware store? Does it come in alot of colors? Did you use the floor wax on the repainted portion of the scamp or just the top? Great job by the way! :-)
I believe I bought the enamel rustolium brand , however I will have to check. It was cheap though, I believe each can was around $4 or $5 dollars. It was an all purpose spray paint....I wii take a picture of the can and post it.

I bought the paint at the Lowes near my house, and another Lowes across town. They didn't have enough cans in stock at the first one I went to.

I put the Red Max Floor Wax on every part of my trailer. I don't know how many layers cause I started on one side then to the other. By the time I got to the original side I started, it was dry. So it was many circles around the trailer. No bleeding colors, and I didn't pay attention to what color I was wiping the wax on, just was all over the place. Make sure to wear plastic gloves as it is quit dangerous to your health in liquid form. Also use a step ladder so the wax liquid does not roll down your arm. It's safe and glossy on your trailer, just not on your skin!

I also sanded a few spots were I had some drips, repainted and the paint seemed really durable. My feeling is that it will be a good durable paint. I think as long as you lightly scuff the gel coat it will stick like primer.

The decals logos were just a design I created on the computer. I sent the Vector files to an Internet place called the Sign Chef, and they delivered them via UPS within the week....however ridiculously expensive....I would use a local place for the decals if I had to do it again.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #18

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
Looks really nice. I like the original Scamp logo but your re-do looks quite nice. Happy trails.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #19

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRIZZO View Post
Looks really nice. I like the original Scamp logo but your re-do looks quite nice. Happy trails.
I guess I was too harsh in my criticism of scamps logo...of course lots of people like the scamp logo, its got a long storied history. You are not alone. I think it's my personal preference with everything to have smaller logos on my clothes, bags, and vehicles.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #20

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
What is the best way to remove a Scamp decal?
troutboomer is offline   Reply With Quote