Flatten Boler frame - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2017, 09:18 AM   #1

Name: Bryce
Trailer: Boler
Utah
Flatten Boler frame

Hi,

We recently took the body off of our frame and luckily the frame is in excellent shape. However, the back of the frame behind the axle is sagging about 1/2”. I’m thinking it might be possible to flip it upside down on a level surface, add weight to flatten it and then somehow have a welder reinforce it then. Has anybody done anything similar? I’ve looked but can only find mentions of people suggesting that the frame should be flattened and straightened, but nobody actually has posted pictures or their experience.

How would you suggest fixing this or reinforcing this area? It’s tricky since the water tanks are in the way and cross beams wouldn’t fit as a result.

Thanks.
MagicWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:33 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Porta power

While I have never straightened a boler frame, I have had experience straightening heavy channel and box tubing steel. The old "run it over with a truck tire method plain don't work about 99'percent of the time. From a declining cost to you here's my thoughts
MOST Expensive. And If it were me I would probably take the frame to a trailer frame shop And have it done.
SECOND most expensive. Find a car repair shop with an old guy working there who has and knows how to use a Porta Power which is a hydraulic jack apparatus that can be affixed several ways to the frame and hand jacked to straighten or bend the metal.
THIRD method. Rent a porta power and do it yourself if you have the confidence, a basic understanding of the forces in play and a supply of bracing steel and some big C Clamps and a good Ability of Logic with a tape measure
That's how I would look At This project. As Donna says YMMV
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:46 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
1/2"? over what 3 ft? My guess is that it was built that way.
You could shim it if it is solid, using something like plastic "mud flap" material or even the same material that you use for the the trailer floor.
Or weld a piece of steel along the top.

Caution... check the floor, if it was built on the frame as is, you may then have to modify the the floor to fit a straightened frame.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:00 PM   #4

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
I'm wondering how much force it would take to bend it that way and the same way on both sides. Was the camper damaged? crushed?
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
A regular auto body repair shop that fixes bent frames in wrecked cars should be able to do this job for you.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:35 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
A regular auto body repair shop that fixes bent frames in wrecked cars should be able to do this job for you. You should expect to pay regular hourly shop rates. It should not take more than 1 hour and that will be their minimum charge.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:44 PM   #7

Name: Bryce
Trailer: Boler
Utah
According to Ians website this sounds fairly common and is caused by a loose body that rocks. The weak point being the drivers side behind the axle to the bumper.

http://www.boler-camping.com/boler-m...s/boler-frame/
MagicWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:45 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
frame

put a relief cut in the frame at 45 dagree angle this spreads the load .clamp a stright edge along the frame till stright, then weld a fish plate over the cut. this is how they do big truck frames. Fish plate should be the width of the frame and 6 to 8 " long .
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:31 PM   #9

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Bryce to bend it the way u want your going to need heat from a welders torch but before doing this hold the front down and then add weight to the back or make a jig to put it in and bend it that way, metal just does not bend without help.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:06 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Here's a method I've used and it works well.

Imagine that the rear of the frame is 3' behind the bent area. Attach a 3/8" chain to the end of the frame and then about 6' ahead of that point, putting the bend in the middle of the chain. Set a hydraulic jack, or handyman jack on the bend and under the chain. As you raise the jack it will straighten the frame. Then you can relax the jack and see how you did. You'll have to go beyond where you want to end up so the frame can spring back to straight. It will take a few tries, but you'll get it. Be careful the chain doesn't slip off the jack and bite you.

When one side is straight, go to the other side.

Do not use heat, just careful positioning of the jack and chain and go slightly beyond where you want to end up. Be careful and try to wrap the chain around the frame at a crossmember or some way to hold well without hurting the frame where you attach it.

In a sense, you are trying to do the opposite of what bent it in the first place, by pulling up on the rear of the frame. This method is much better than using weights or driving over it, etc. It's a very controlled method.

The frame bent from excessive loading and will bend in the opposite direction if the force is applied correctly.

Then you can decide if it needs to be reinforced or not.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:07 AM   #11

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I have straightened frames on heavy utility trailers. Originally, the frame bent because it couldn't carry the weight placed on it. This bending weakened the metal. Straightening the frame will put it back to its original shape but will weaken it further so it will likely bend again under weight. I add additional square tubing to keep this from happening and it works well because it is now stronger than it was originally.
Body shops straighten bent vehicle frames and this is successful because these frames were bent from impact, not over weight.
If you have gone to the trouble to remove your trailer frame you want it to work so you won't have to do this again.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:11 AM   #12

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
When I do chassis work I also sandblast it and paint it to protect against rust. I also make sure the springs are in good shape.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:27 AM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
frame

You can also take it to a body shop or frame shop an put it on the frame machine .it would be easy for them to do .
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler