Flo jet water pump not pumping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Flo jet water pump not pumping

Makes noises like it should, but not pumping water. Hooked up to city water, no problem, water. Not hooked up to city water, full water tank, pump on, no water.

Is this common? Any diagnostic stuff I can do?

Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Makes noises like it should, but not pumping water. Hooked up to city water, no problem, water. Not hooked up to city water, full water tank, pump on, no water.

Is this common? Any diagnostic stuff I can do?

Thanks!

Frank
When it happened to me I pulled the pump. With tubing I picked up at the hardware store and a bucket of water I verified it was the pump and not a blocked line. I took the pump apart ( very carefully) and found a small piece of plastic stuck in one of the chambers. Waste from drilling the tank. Put things back together and it was fine. Turns out flojet will not warrant a pump unless a flojet strainer was installed. I found one on eBay and installed it just to avoid the issue again. Check the fine print in your pump manual. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
1) Check filter / screen on suction side of pump 2) Check pump check valve. 3) Cracked pump housing 4) Debris in pump chamber 5)Torn diaphram 6) Suction side of pump not flooded
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #4

New York
Thanks guys. No time today, got chores that have to get done, that I will not get completely done because I'm on the computer right now

Will report back soon as I can.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 08-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #5

New York
I believe this problem resulted from me filling the tank before we left last week. I don't know if this tank had ever been filled, and I was trying to fill it fast. As a result I have a full water tank, and no low water drain in this trailer. And I couldn't use a siphon hose in it because it is internally baffled.

Just now I removed the fill hoses from the top of the tank, ruining the big tank fill hose in the process (it was glued and clamped), and removed the trailer side hose from the 3 way connection where it meets the city water hose. Next I will have to remove the pump with the tank, and that requires other tools and a fresh start, plus my son's strong back to remove the darn tank.

When it gets re-installed, there will be a low water drain.

Sheesh!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 08-19-2014, 06:13 AM   #6
Raz

Are you saying there is no way to empty the tank other than the faucet? Seems odd to me. Raz
Old 08-19-2014, 06:26 AM   #7

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Are you saying there is no way to empty the tank other than the faucet? Seems odd to me. Raz
Seems odd to me too Raz. I have had little experience in general with trailers, instead over the years becoming highly experienced with tents. I guess maybe buying a ParkLiner as a nearly new egg was just not a great idea on our part. Nevertheless, we like it, and as we move ahead, understand we're on our own, and will do the best we can. It helps I am a handy sort of fellow!

Once the tank comes out, there will be a drain valve at the point it has a tube into the pump, and then another after the pump. I think. Does that sound right?

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 08-19-2014, 07:32 AM   #8

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Seems odd to me too Raz. I have had little experience in general with trailers, instead over the years becoming highly experienced with tents. I guess maybe buying a ParkLiner as a nearly new egg was just not a great idea on our part. Nevertheless, we like it, and as we move ahead, understand we're on our own, and will do the best we can. It helps I am a handy sort of fellow!

Once the tank comes out, there will be a drain valve at the point it has a tube into the pump, and then another after the pump. I think. Does that sound right?

Frank
Sounds right. There is a tee fitting on the outlet on our tank. The side leg goes to the inlet of the FloJet and the straight through leg goes to a shut off valve and then down through the bottom of the camper to drain the tank. My FloJet has quick connect fittings on both the inlet and outlet. I was getting a loud vibration throughout the rig whenever the pump kicked on. I discovered one of the clips had vibrated part way out on the pump. I disconnected both fittings, reconnected and reseated the clips and the vibration is now gone. Word to the wise. Make sure the pump is switched off when you pull the clips. Otherwise, the pump comes on instantly and will half drown you while you reach across to shut it off. Voice of experience.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:38 AM   #9

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. in NY View Post
Sounds right. There is a tee fitting on the outlet on our tank. The side leg goes to the inlet of the FloJet and the straight through leg goes to a shut off valve and then down through the bottom of the camper to drain the tank. My FloJet has quick connect fittings on both the inlet and outlet. I was getting a loud vibration throughout the rig whenever the pump kicked on. I discovered one of the clips had vibrated part way out on the pump. I disconnected both fittings, reconnected and reseated the clips and the vibration is now gone. Word to the wise. Make sure the pump is switched off when you pull the clips. Otherwise, the pump comes on instantly and will half drown you while you reach across to shut it off. Voice of experience.
I gotta figure this out. When I disconnected the hoses on the tank, the big one got ruined in the process so I need to get a new one. Looks like it was glued before clamping. What kind of glue would they use for that I wonder? also, can I have the valve under the trailer? That's where I would prefer it, and where it was on our old Sunline.

I want the hole I drill for this drain tube to be sealed when I put the tubing through the body. What would I use? 3M 5200?

Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 08-19-2014, 09:50 AM   #10
Raz

It sounds like Brian's set up is like my Trillium. There is a Tee at the tank outlet. One line goes to the pump, the other through the floor to an outside drain valve. I was told the opening was not caulked so if the tank leaked the water would flow out the hole. With that in mind I stuffed a stainless steel scrub pad around the pipe to keep the critters out. Raz
Old 08-19-2014, 10:39 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
It sounds like Brian's set up is like my Trillium. There is a Tee at the tank outlet. One line goes to the pump, the other through the floor to an outside drain valve.
Same set up can be found in Scamps.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #12

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
My pump was sucking air from the outside, and doing the same thing. After it was turned off, a drip of water would come out of the casing.

I couldn't get a repair kit for mine, so I siliconed it. Worked fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1408478308.967109.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	75129

I installed a low water drain on mine. It takes a while to drain the tanks, but I've never had a need to drain them fast (hope I don't).

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1408478512.482852.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	75130

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:29 PM   #13

New York
Thanks Jared! Great pics, much appreciated. Maybe I can get the tank out tonight.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 08-20-2014, 04:30 PM   #14

New York
While not able to get a large tube down inside the baffled tank to drain it, a very small flexible tube did make it either to the bottom or close, and it has been draining now for an hour and a half. That will make this work much easier!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006