floor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: currently shopping
Michigan
floor

I looked at a couple trailers a while ago (a boler and a casita) and a common problem I noticed was the door leaked and ruined the plywood floor. Now I looked underneath and saw a lot of rivets poking through. Is that all that is holding the floor to the fiberglass bottom?
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Ummmmm, What year Casita? Cause I have never seen a Casita's with plywood floors, they are encased in glass (there is a name for it, but I can't remember what they actually call it).

That is not to say it couldn't get a sloppy floor, but find it weird that you say rivet's poking thru! Underneath?

Can you take pic's? Wasn't the Casita completely fiberglass underneath?

I am sorry, I am not much help. But have to question cause I have never seen a Casita that wasn't fiberglass underneath. Hopefully someone will be able to help you.........

Oh and glad you joined us! Welcome!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #3

Michigan
casita floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Ummmmm, What year Casita? Cause I have never seen a Casita's with plywood floors, they are encased in glass (there is a name for it, but I can't remember what they actually call it).

That is not to say it couldn't get a sloppy floor, but find it weird that you say rivet's poking thru! Underneath?

Can you take pic's? Wasn't the Casita completely fiberglass underneath?

I am sorry, I am not much help. But have to question cause I have never seen a Casita that wasn't fiberglass underneath. Hopefully someone will be able to help you.........

Oh and glad you joined us! Welcome!

it was a 1984 ,the underneath was was fiberglass, but the floor was plywood. I also looked at a boler 1978 the underneath was fiberglass, but the floor was plywood. Both wewe soaking wet.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You were looking at trailers that are 27 and 33 years old respectively. If these were stickies... they'd be a pile of mush (more than likely). Sounds like poor maintenance issues. If these have air-craft style doors, keeping on top of the door seals is paramount. My 23 year old Scamp has NO floor issues and has a MDF floor that's sealed in fiberglass resin. I wouldn't necessarily call floor rot a "common" problem. It's only a problem if leaks aren't taken care of promptly.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:23 PM   #5

Michigan
floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You were looking at trailers that are 27 and 33 years old respectively. If these were stickies... they'd be a pile of mush (more than likely). Sounds like poor maintenance issues. If these have air-craft style doors, keeping on top of the door seals is paramount. My 23 year old Scamp has NO floor issues and has a MDF floor that's sealed in fiberglass resin. I wouldn't necessarily call floor rot a "common" problem. It's only a problem if leaks aren't taken care of promptly.
The two that I looked at both appeared to have been sitting out in the woods for years. I'm hoping that after labor day one will pop up that has been used recently.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
. If these were stickies... they'd be a pile of mush (more than likely).

Exactly!

Ok, as for the mushy floor, Many replace the plywood, even on not so mushy floors. If your not into that much re-hab, I would certainly keep looking. Hopefully your right, after the holiday someone will decide to sell rather than pay for storage through out the winter. Good luck!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote