Floor questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2003, 07:07 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Floor questions

Need to tap the braintrust again. I've pulled up the carpeting on the floor and much of the backing remains stuck. I'm guessing good old-fashioned scraping is the best removal? Would like to treat/seal the floor at this point. Any product suggestions? We will be re-carpeting, so type of carpet and installation pointers would be helpful. Finally, someday I'd like to do a trailer undercoat. Is this a do-it-yourself project, and, if so, with what?

Note to Al V.: It WAS a bad ground on my converter. Everything's working great now. Thanks! Another beer, coming at ya.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 07:16 AM   #2

cheers

:cheers

Old 07-15-2003, 06:10 PM   #3

Nothing like the good ol' ways

:cry Al,

Somehow you got to get the backing up or your carpet will be lumpy. Either you got to use good-old-fashioned elbow grease or someone else's elbow grease. But grease it is.

After I got mine all up I prepped the floor for linoleum by painting it with the old leftover house paint everyone has in the garage. Great way to use the otherwise hazardous waste that paint is now classified as. Double benefit. Don't worry about colors, it's the seal you care about.

Let me ask you... why carpet? why not linoleum with rugs or pergo with rugs? Can take up rugs and wash or beat them. or replace them altogether. You might get stains on your new carpet right away and what do you do then? Elbow grease again I guess...

Reason I ask this is that I have rugs on my linoleum. I also put drain holes in the front and rear floor. I can wash down the interior and then hose out all the soap.

Sorry if I say too much. Enjoy your new caarpet.

Old 07-16-2003, 11:24 AM   #4

I used or tried to use a paint scraper with mine. worked kind of - oh to be truthfull, not well at all. I ended up using a spatula from the kitchen. it was or is metal, about 2 inches deep and wide. so a putty knife might work, but as stiff as you can find. I set and worked on one square foot at a time, and next thing you know I'm done. some places came up easier then others. I found I have a very uneven floor, so got to find something to level it with. I'm going with linoleum so it will be noticeable if I don't level.