Floor Vent Hole under Battery Box and in Wall with Tube? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #1

Name: Anne
Trailer: In the market
Oregon
Floor Vent Hole under Battery Box and in Wall with Tube?

Hi,

I'm wondering what these holes and tube are for? The tube wasn't connected to anything and the hole was covered. I'm guessing it's for an older or different style of battery. I have a marine deep cycle battery. Does this battery need some venting?

I am the new owner of an 80's Casita that I'm ripping apart and putting back together -- better!

Thanks!

Anne
Attached Thumbnails
Tube Vent in Trailer.jpg  
Anne in NW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Anne;
Most 12 volt batteries generate some hydrogen gas as they are being recharged. This is particularly true of a completely discharged battery. The battery box that I have has both bottom and top vents. I vent the top of the closed battery box to the outside, using a modified water fill spout. See:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1115307...70596299572194

and the photos that follow it.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I've never seen a spiral hose of that size used in an RV except for ductwork from the heater in larger rigs. Probably a mod from a PO for some unknown reason. There should be an exterior vent in your battery compartment door. I'd take the hose out and patch the hole to keep critters out.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne in NW View Post
Hi,

I'm wondering what these holes and tube are for? The tube wasn't connected to anything and the hole was covered. I'm guessing it's for an older or different style of battery. I have a marine deep cycle battery. Does this battery need some venting?

I am the new owner of an 80's Casita that I'm ripping apart and putting back together -- better!

Thanks!

Anne
Anne, cant answer your question regarding what Casita used such a hose for but it may have been venting the battery, as regardless of what battery type you have best practices are if the battery is located inside the trailer it should be vented to the outside.

Here is a link to an image of a vented battery box.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I've never seen a spiral hose of that size used in an RV except for ductwork from the heater in larger rigs.Y
I have seen such a hose - although this one is slightly larger in diameter than some I have seen. A hose of some sort is suppose to be connected to a battery box to allow for outside venting if the battery is located inside the trailer. Perhaps Casita felt more venting was better than less and went with a slightly bigger hose.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #6

Name: Anne
Trailer: In the market
Oregon
Thanks for the info everyone. It's totally clear to me know how it works. Carol, the link you showed is exactly what I need. The battery was sitting in the bottom part of the box - the top is missing. I actually thought it was just sitting in a piece if Tupperware and was surprised to see the bottom hole in it when I took it out.

Now I just need to find one!

Thanks!

Anne
Anne in NW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #7

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
I bought mine from PPL, though if you shop the net you can find them for a few bucks less.

Battery Boxes Vented for Sale - PPL Motor Homes
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
It was noted in a previous discussion about batteries and venting that the vent hose should be out the top of the box and on an upward incline as any hydrogen gas generated will be lighter than air and naturally rise. See Victors pic. Just for a reminder, propane is heavier than air and will go down.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne in NW View Post
I am the new owner of an 80's Casita...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
There should be an exterior vent in your battery compartment door.
This could be an early design without exterior access for the battery like all the 17' Casitas have now.

BTW Anne, maybe you could update your profile from "in the market"? That is unless your are a collector?
Old 12-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #10

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Hi Anne, yuppers on what others have shared.

In my situation i have vents at the bottom of box pulling air up and then have a hose that vents up and out of the box.
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery