foam for cushions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #1

Name: Laura
Trailer: Winnebago
Iowa
foam for cushions

I need some help with the cushions in my camper. The original ones were so hard it was like sleeping on the floor. I changed them out for 4" memory foam, which was so soft our butts hit bottom. Then I went to Joanns fabrics & crafts and bought their foam, which was better but still hit bottom, so added another 1 1/2" foam pads over that. Now we just wake up with a back ach in the morning. We have had other campers that the cushions slept good on. I found a place that sells the foam, but I am not sure what density to get. Has anyone replaced there foam. My husband has back problems, and would like to go camping again, but I need to solve this problem first. We have so much foam rubber laying in the camper I can't move around anymore.
Thanks
Laura
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #2

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I have a Coleman air matress I bought at Wal Mart with a 3 inch Costco memory foam topper and it's great.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:57 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Have you tried the original cushions with the 4" memory foam on top of that?

It sounds like the memory foam may not be good quality. A good memory foam will be around 4 lb density or even higher. Density is what gives support. Healthyfoundations.com is a good website I've bought foam from, and I've bought a good one from overstock.com (the density was listed for that topper, but some don't say and I avoided those). I would only use 2 to 3 inch thick foam though; 4" would be too sink-in cushy for me.

Another good possibility is a latex topper; look for Talalay latex (good quality). We sleep on a memory foam topper in both the bedroom and the trailer, but I use latex pillows... aaahhhh!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #4

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hi laura---we go truly decadent in our outback..hence the name of it "osokozy"!!!
i have placed 4 inch memory foam on top of the manufacturer's foam cushions, then i have ANOTHER 4 inches of memory foam...and then, ANOTHER 3 inch piece! we didn't intend on it being this deep..but we were bothered by sore hips until we added the last second 4 inch piece..and then we just rearranged the layering. it is wonderfully soft and yet firm, as my hubby also has a bad back.
we purchased our foam at both costco and at walmart---checking each time to ensure we had high-density foam. i agree with mike--there is definitely good and bad qualities to foam.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita
Laura, from my experience, follow Mike Magee's post. You can't lose. We just got our re-designed cushions back from the upholsterer yesterday and they look great. We replaced the OEM Casita cushions with wider 4 inch open cell foam and added 2 1/2 inch Memory foam on top of that. We've used that combo for 2 years and love it. So we finally had them covered.

Beware of Theresa's post due to nosebleeds from the high altitude up on that foam pile.That's hilarious.

Good luck,

EKW
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote