FRAME - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-12-2006, 10:02 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Quote:
Glad you found these. Mabee these pictures should be put into a folder as a tutorial for use to identify Boler frame problems
There is rarely a need for a new frame. I am a certified welder & a frame can be repaired a lot cheaper than making a new one. I think you could have more problems w/a new non factory fabricated frame than repairing your current one.

Don Meyer, PhD-Mech Engr

Old 06-14-2006, 02:29 PM   #16

Trailer: 73 Boler
The frame on my 73 was cracked or broken above the axle. It was previously repaired before i bought it. The frame was also cracked in front of the wheels where they all crack but i reinforced that area. The frame is still strong and i have no worries about it.

Old 06-15-2006, 12:10 AM   #17

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Hi Don, you`re just the person I`d like to toss a question at.....what do you think about welding in a flange for a brake backing plate on a torsion rubber axle after the axle is already built? ......perhaps you read a previous post on brake axles so you`d know what I`m asking about.......Benny
Old 06-15-2006, 07:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Hi Don, you`re just the person I`d like to toss a question at.....what do you think about welding in a flange for a brake backing plate on a torsion rubber axle after the axle is already built? ......perhaps you read a previous post on brake axles so you`d know what I`m asking about.......Benny
This would be hard to do because the packing plate has to be perpendicular to the spindle
& fixturing would be required to accomplish this.

Why not just buy a new axle. I am doing this with my 1977 13' Scamp because the axle has no more spring to it & I want to install it w/trailing arms vs. the current leading arms. With leading arms the brakes will not work as well.

Don
Old 06-16-2006, 12:21 AM   #19

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
I want to install it w/trailing arms vs. the current leading arms. With leading arms the brakes will not work as well.
Don

Why don't e-brakes work as well on leading arm axles?

Roy
Old 06-16-2006, 07:57 AM   #20
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
.... With leading arms the brakes will not work as well.

Don
Hummm. Interesting. I haven't hear that before. Theoretically, I can see the point, but that's what I have on mine and they are terrific. Perhaps if I had a small tow vehicle or ever get a trailer with trailing arms, I might be able tell the difference. I wonder, since our trailers are so light weight if the difference is really discernable?
Old 06-16-2006, 09:07 AM   #21

Trailer:
Quote:
With leading arms the brakes will not work as well.
I can't see why this is true. If fitting a new axle (that had been designed and built to work with trailing arms), I can see there would be some sense in swapping the brakes over so what the manufacturer thought was the LH brake was still mounted on the left when the axle has been switched to a leading arm orientation.

But I can see no reason why the brakes would not work as well - indeed, if anything, I'd expect an improvement. As leading-arm axle will rise (ie, anti-dive) on braking, it will be slightly more resistant to snatch-locking when first applying the brakes.

Andrew
Old 06-16-2006, 01:18 PM   #22

I think that the problem with a leading arm suspension brake is that if the brakes are applied, then the trailer would want to lift itself up using the brake arms as a pivot point....in a trailing arm situation it would simple drag.....just like when it absorbs shocks as it pushes up, squishing the rubber, then it would want to lift the trailer and try squishing the rubber in the opposite direction and this could possibly really make the trailer bounce on the road like a ball .....does this make sense? If not, then push a pencil forward on desk with a slight down ward angle and put your finger in front of it to resist forward motion and as you keep pushing, it will try to lift the back end of the pencil over the front and if the front of the pencil had some traction it would start to hop.......can`t think of a better way to explain myself without a drawing, LOL....Benny
Old 06-16-2006, 10:35 PM   #23

Ontario
Quote:
I think that the problem with a leading arm suspension brake is that if the brakes are applied, then the trailer would want to lift itself up using the brake arms as a pivot point....in a trailing arm situation it would simple drag.....just like when it absorbs shocks as it pushes up, squishing the rubber, then it would want to lift the trailer and try squishing the rubber in the opposite direction and this could possibly really make the trailer bounce on the road like a ball .....does this make sense? If not, then push a pencil forward on desk with a slight down ward angle and put your finger in front of it to resist forward motion and as you keep pushing, it will try to lift the back end of the pencil over the front and if the front of the pencil had some traction it would start to hop.......can`t think of a better way to explain myself without a drawing, LOL....Benny
Better get that pad and pencil out Benny, draw that picture, scan it and upload it.
I was thinking along the same lines. Tried comparing it to a bicycle with caliper brakes, hit the front ones too hard and you can fly over the handle bars.

Leading edge would want to make the trailer rear lift on braking, but if you think about it, that will cause a weight shift (more correctly a vector force) to front of the hitch. While at the same time the rear of the TV rises as it's nose drops. The two should somewhat counter act each other and tend to keep both more level something like a counter balance.

OTOH with a trailing edge the load comes off the axle when braking and making the tires more prone to skidding. (using the bike analogy).

Now I'm more confused
Old 06-16-2006, 10:54 PM   #24

Don`t feel bad Roy, Sometimes think, along with every body else on this site, that I`m always confused,LOL....but like I said on an earlier post, I have another axle and may make up a jig to fit over the axle shaft, and weld brake backing flanges onto it just for the fun of it when I get a chance.....and on the tires skidding or hopping, I think that would depend whether the leading type axle was down or up in relation to centre....up and it would possibly skid and I think if was 25 degrees down it would try to lift... ....One time I had a car trailer with brakes on both axles and when it was empty and at about 45 mph I dynamited the brakes with the controller to see what would happen and this made the trailer jump about a foot off the highway, (made sure there was no one around me), and assume that spring windup made it act like that because there way no extra load on the trailer....with a car on it the wheels probably wouldn`t have locked up and the result would have been different...if they had locked up the trailer may have skidded....?....If I had brakes on my 13' I`d try panic locking the trailer brakes on the highway just to try it.....Benny
Old 06-17-2006, 10:14 AM   #25

The brakes on a leading arm axle will not stay in contact w/the road as well as a trailing axle..........Don Meyer
Old 06-18-2006, 10:44 PM   #26

Ontario
Quote:
The brakes on a leading arm axle will not stay in contact w/the road as well as a trailing axle..........Don Meyer
My inquisitive mind would like to better understand how this is the case.

It's one of those concepts that needs a little explanation to get the neural pathways to connect with it. Even with a bit of a mechanical background and university level physics it took a bit of mental gymnastics to understand how anti sway bars on a car or weight distributing hitches worked.

Sounds to me like you might just be the guy that can explain it. Would you mind helping me understand the concept Don?

Roy
Old 06-21-2006, 01:31 PM   #27

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
My inquisitive mind would like to better understand how this is the case.

It's one of those concepts that needs a little explanation to get the neural pathways to connect with it. Even with a bit of a mechanical background and university level physics it took a bit of mental gymnastics to understand how anti sway bars on a car or weight distributing hitches worked.

Sounds to me like you might just be the guy that can explain it. Would you mind helping me understand the concept Don?

Roy

I was wondering the same thing. Don, could you shed some light on how that would work?

Thanks
Old 06-21-2006, 03:51 PM   #28

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
My two cents.

Whatever you choose to do just remember to leave enough slack in the brake magnet wires to go along with the swing of the axle.

The guy that had my trailer didn't and the wires sheared right off.
Brakes were never used at all. Good for me tho, I just fixed the wires and I had brakes.