Frame rustproofing idea - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Ventura
Frame rustproofing idea

For what it's worth I wondered if trailer frame tubes could possibly rust from the inside out due to condensation or road spray driven ingress (fancy term often used to describe water going where you don't want it to).

As a quick and easy preventative measure for such a condition I drilled a 1/8" hole near the top of each frame tube and shot a few ounces of oil into them. Road movement while the trailer is in motion should spread it around. Used a couple of pop rivets to seal the holes.

This may have been an ineffective exercise - or not. Has anybody seen a frame rust through from the inside out?

This was in addition to a little scraping and painting of the exterior frame with rust paint.
Darrell O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I know some frames/bumpers that are "boxed" should have weep holes underneath to allow water to escape.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
My feeling is that even if you ignore it, the frame is going to last at least 25 - 30 years. If you give it a little attention and keep the outside painted, it should last a lifetime.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Darrell if you havent already stumbled on it there was a pretty good thread here in regards to what to paint the frame with.

Sorry I have only done the rust prevention and the POR product was what was recommended to me by our local auto shop & I have no experience with frame rot but there have also been threads in regards to frame rusting from the inside out - I believe someone posted in that regard here and another thread is here
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:57 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Darrell O... On our former Boler instead of painting the frame I bought a can of Krown rustproofing.($10.) One can and about 20 min. did the whole under frame. Soaks into the rust and with attached nozzel gets into places a paint brush can't reach. The visable tongue/ bumper can be done with Tremclad/Rustoleum or POR.
Alf S North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #6

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Eastwood sells an internal frame rustproofing kit. You simply drill a few holes, snake a tube in the frame and spray away.
841K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
well,, i'm 61,,,so if it last 20 years.... its gonna be someone elses problem i'd guess. they will probably have flying scamps to tow behind our george jetson flying cars by then.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
A thoroughly box frame should NEVER rust. And I mean thoroughly. Air, which contains moisture, is what causes rust. If air can't get in... no rust happens. BUT, the person doing the welding had better be good... no pin holes in the welds, etc. This is from a hotrod background... those folks spend $$$$$ on frames. Think darkroom... no light entering and snaking a light into the frame and sealing it off, turn on the switch. Do you see any light anywhere?

BUT, who wants to spend that time, effort or money on a trailer frame? There are other solutions that will last a lifetime (mine at least) and I'm NEVER going to take my trailer to a juried show, it's mine for enjoyment... not for trophy's or trying to impress anyone. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I doubt you can make any box frame air tight and have never seen one. It would have to be created in a vacuum or have the air sucked out. I know some early f/g trailers with box bumpers that had to be drilled and water drained. To me air dries out anything but that is another subject. I'll drill any box frame I own.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Then Jim, you don't know any good welders A thoroughly boxed frame is basically a vacuum... nothing in, nothing out. Drilling holes just adds air...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #11

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Then Jim, you don't know any good welders A thoroughly boxed frame is basically a vacuum... nothing in, nothing out. Drilling holes just adds air...
Depending on the amount of heat produced by the welds, it can be a vacuum. Think of what happens when you heat an empty pop can on a hot plate and quickly flip it upside down into water.

One of my old professors just went through my head~
"There is no such thing as vacuum- only pressure differentials"
841K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #12

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I used to weld assemblies that were pressure tested at 200 psi in a water tank, if it blew bubbles it came back. I might have a few a week that needed a remedial weld, the senior welder never did that I recall.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #13

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Darrell, your idea is not crazy at all. In the little niche world of double shotgun repair, a common solution to potential corrosion in the cavity between barrels and top and bottom ribs is to inject boiled linseed thru a hole bored thru lower rib. Of course, a shotgun barrelset can be turned every which way to make sure every internal surface gets coated. Harder to do with a trailer frame! At 65 yrs. old, I have to agree with Mr. Warren's sentiments. Mine will outlast me and I'd rather be fishing anyway.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #14

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
No worries...I think it's a solution without a problem.
A quick look under any production trailer frame on any brand I have seen would reveal no intent to create a sealed or "thoroughly boxed frame".
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #15

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Asked the local 3rd generation trailer builder/repair guy he said condensation will form inside tube if sealed or only mostly sealed. So they can rust from inside out. Said not unheard of for people to get steam jet burn if cutting through trailer tube with a torch. Tube gets hot, then torch cuts through and blast of steam comes jetting out.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #16

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
its impossible to weld up anything in open air and end up with a true vaccum...sealed to the outside world, maybe.......but there's air in there and the humidity that was present.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote