Freestanding Awning ideas? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #21

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Melanie, the EZ-Up.... AIN'T and it's heavy too. The EZ-Up I bought spends more time in the garage than it does going camping.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #22

Name: M
Trailer: 1977 13' trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Melanie, the EZ-Up.... AIN'T and it's heavy too. The EZ-Up I bought spends more time in the garage than it does going camping.
Sorry...I meant the ezy-awning...mentioned by Ed Harris...

http://busdepot.com/details/awning.jsp
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:51 PM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
Okay, whew....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #24

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post

I have seen it in use and going up and down a few times and it is a lot easier than the Walmart model.

Karen K. has one for her Companion and it is very cool.
I think hers is the original or small one but they look about the same just bigger.

Karen used the suction cups to the Companion when I have seen it,I want one and may use it on my Sprinter at times.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #25

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
10' Gazebo

Our Colman 10' fits like a glovematching the curves our our Boler exactly. It even holds a full sized picnic table inside while keeping the bugs and rain off of us. We rest the upper edge right on to our bag awning rail, which in turn acts as a rain gutter for the gazebo so the water does not run down the side of the Boler. We got it at Walmart about a year ago. It comes with side curtains and a privacy sheild. BTW: it has also doubled as a great way to work on the camper in the rain as a 13' camper easily fits inside of it, well the fiberglass parts to be exact.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:11 AM   #26

Name: M
Trailer: 1977 13' trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markz View Post

Our Colman 10' fits like a glovematching the curves our our Boler exactly. It even holds a full sized picnic table inside while keeping the bugs and rain off of us. We rest the upper edge right on to our bag awning rail, which in turn acts as a rain gutter for the gazebo so the water does not run down the side of the Boler. We got it at Walmart about a year ago. It comes with side curtains and a privacy sheild. BTW: it has also doubled as a great way to work on the camper in the rain as a 13' camper easily fits inside of it, well the fiberglass parts to be exact.
Really! That's amazing that your Boler will fit inside...which Coleman 10' model is it? We have a Trillium which I think is a bit taller...but I will check it out.
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #27

Registry
The Boler is widest at the belly band and tapers in at the roof line aproximately 3-4 inches. I do not know if the Trillium tapers in enough to fit within the 10'x10' awning at the roof line. The gazebo frame is about an (inch to an inch and 1/2 wide) all the way around. Hope this helps.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #28

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Here is our FirstUp with the screen walls attached. As CindyL noted, it fits snug up next to our UHaul VT and gives us a great outside room. The roof canopy is not waterproof, but it does a great job in most conditions. With the ropes staked down (outside edge) and tied to the trailer (inside edge), it has withstood large storms with high winds. We put LED rope lights on the rope tiedowns to alert us to their presence in daylight or at night. Looks cool, too.
Attached Thumbnails
UHaul with Screenhouse.jpg  
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #29

Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
I also have to throw this one out here again,it is not a 4 legged awning but will work without an awning track and is just another neat way to go I think.

That thing looks cool, and I would not have to put any holes in my scamp if I bought the suction cups. But it's upwards of $200 with the cups!

The site doesn't have any pictures of it used with an egg, that would be good to see.
LurkerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #30

Trailer: 1985 Companion
Registry
Here you go!

Karen
Attached Thumbnails
awning.jpg  
Karen K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #31

Colorado
Thanks Karen! And those suction cups work well?
Old 08-04-2011, 04:20 PM   #32

Registry
They will not hold in a windy situation but I most always tie all 4 corners down anyways. I also have the extra leg kit just in case I don't want to suction it to the camper. The height is REALLY adjustable and I do like that.

Karen
Old 08-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #33

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Thanks
I couldnt find a picture of the "Lady" with the awning up.
Where are the Window Boxes in the Pic?
Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #34

Registry
There is a picture of the flower box in My Trailer Profile.

Karen
Old 08-04-2011, 08:24 PM   #35

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I think Kevin bought one of those awnings for our Eurovan. Tried it and never used it. For us, awnings are not the answer. I would not camp if I did not have a way to keep the bugs from bugging me. Our EZup does that plus it is our party room; a great place to enjoy wine and good conversation. I realize that it is not for everyone. I doubt that I could set it up myself easily, but Mama is not happy without the EZup set up with the Uhaul.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #36

Colorado
Colorado tends not to be very buggy, but does tend to be very sunny with afternoon thundershowers, so an awning is a good solution (I think). Just trying to decide whether I should go that "nice" route for more money (money being in short supply right now), or the ghetto-rig-something-up route.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #37

Registry
Check out this Add-A-Room - Pricey but Nice

http://busdepot.com/details/addaroom.jsp

But it is $399 Yikes a bit pricey.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #38

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Maybe just a giant beach umbrella? Easy to put up, take down and stow away.

In my recent 18 day, 5000 mile trip I never put out the awning once. I don't claim to have any good awning ideas, most of my ideas will probably have you yawning instead.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #39

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Colorado tends not to be very buggy,
That is probably true in general, but the second worst infestation of mosquitoes I've ever seen was at around 9000 feet in the Uinta mountains of Utah - about 35 miles west of the Colorado border, so they can be a problem almost anywhere. I say "the second worst," because of the time in the Everglades when the mosquitoes were so aggressive a heavy application of deep didn't even deter them - drove us right back into our car. The poor guys mowing the lawn at the ranger station were wearing long sleeve shirts and hats with netting in an attempt to protect themselves from the mosquitoes. It was about 95 degrees with similar humidity! Here in Florida the biting flies and mosquitoes can get very bad at certain times of the year and make camping a real pain!

I guess I'm saying all this just to support my main requirement for an awning - that it has good mosquito netting.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #40

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Mosquitos

In our 11 years of travel we've only run into significant mosquitos twice, once at mile 92 in Denali at Wonder Lake and the other time was at a provincial park in the NorthWest Territories. In Labrador and Newfoundland we've never run into them even in July, certainly not in any in quantity.

I can never figure out why there aren't mosquitos in FL during the winter or spring. At those temps we'd have them in NH. Certainly it's warm enough and plenty of moisture about.

We do carry deet.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning