Frenched tail light 'housing' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #1

Trailer: Lil Bigfoot
Hi all -

Just wondering if anyone knows if the housing for the recessed tail lights on the Bolers are available anywhere. From photos, they look like they were screwed into the body. I saw a Boler that was painted orange through a Google image search and the owner had echoed the tail lights on the front for orange signals.

I'm thinking of removing the stock bumper / rectangular lights on our lil Bigfoot and replacing them with the recessed Boler tail lights.

Thank you -
Mike Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:51 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have two of them.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Would you like to sell them to ME Ches? I'm serious.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:57 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Hi all -

Just wondering if anyone knows if the housing for the recessed tail lights on the Bolers are available anywhere. From photos, they look like they were screwed into the body. I saw a Boler that was painted orange through a Google image search and the owner had echoed the tail lights on the front
There was one year about '72 or possibly '73 when Boler put reflectors on the front. They were almost the same size as the tail lights.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Would you like to sell them to ME Ches? I'm serious.
Just pay cost of mailing and there yours. I will post picture tomorrow on here just so you know what they look like.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:14 AM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American
Registry
Quote:
Hi all -

Just wondering if anyone knows if the housing for the recessed tail lights on the Bolers are available anywhere. From photos, they look like they were screwed into the body. I saw a Boler that was painted orange through a Google image search and the owner had echoed the tail lights on the front for orange signals.

I'm thinking of removing the stock bumper / rectangular lights on our lil Bigfoot and replacing them with the recessed Boler tail lights.

Thank you -
I think that the frenched taillights are possible as a home made item. The materials would cost about $30.00 US. This is in general how I would go about that project.

#1 locate a plastic container of the appropriate diamiter to form the bucket shape. I suspect an ice cream container of 1 gallon size is about rite. Check that the taillight lense will lie flat across the bottom of the container. (but not too much bigger than that diamiter.)

#2 Purchase 1 fiberglass boat repair kit from Advance Auto Parts or Wal-Mart. Buy some Nitrile gloves to keep the nasty stickey gooey resens off your fingers. You will also need some wax paper and masking tape. You will also need about five or six 1" wide throw away paint brushes.

#3 Cut a strip of the woven glass cloth about 6" wide long enough to fit on the outside diamiter of the bottom of the inverted bucket. Use a couple of pieces of masking tape to hold the cloth in place. Mix a bout a cup of resen and hardner. Coat the glass cloth by dabbing the resen into the weave let that harden up. After the resen has hardened up remove the masking tape. Keep the glass shape on the bucket till all the steps are completed. Cover the botom the same way. You will know you have done a good job when you can see through the one layer of glass cloth and resen when it is completly wetted out. Build a couple of layers of the matte cloth in the same manner.

A couple of tricks in handling glass cloth - moving rapidly-
>>A> wet the cloth off the part on a piece of wax paper use a dabbing motion with the brush.
>>B> paint a lite coat of resen on the part location of the matte cloth.
>>C> pick up the wax paper and lay it over the wetted surface matte cloth to glass resen.
>>D> push the resen and glass matte together useing the wax paper between you and the mess.

#4 layout the hole location in the trailer cut the hole small and file / grind etc to snug fit. glass the bucket into the body a small strip at a time from the inside of the trailer. If you are carefull to cover the exterior of the trailer where the cutout will end up you will need almost no paint outside of a small area around the hole.

This project is not for the faint of heart. You can really mess up your pride and joy if you are not confident of your skills. You may want to seek out a professional body man to "assist" you at some stage in this project. Getting the buckets to match in location, flatness and depth will be a chore and probably require that the interior benches be removed temporarily.

Now that I have written this I think back to my first project A cowl for an airplane. It took me six months and three tries to get a useable product. I could do it easily now in about a week of work!
Attached Thumbnails
fresh_paint_7.JPG  
Marty Smiltneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Just pay cost of mailing and there yours. I will post picture tomorrow on here just so you know what they look like.
Hi Donna
This is one picture of tail lights. If this is what you want, I will mail out to you.
Attached Thumbnails
tail_lights_005.jpg  
Old 07-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I'll send you a PM Ches. I have a friend that needs one... hit and run on the drivers side... smooshed bucket. The PLAN is to see if these can be reproduced in the future.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:41 PM   #9

Quote:
I'll send you a PM Ches. I have a friend that needs one... hit and run on the drivers side... smooshed bucket. The PLAN is to see if these can be reproduced in the future.
OK i got your PM.See PM from me.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:26 PM   #10

Quote:
OK i got your PM.See PM from me.
Hi Chester - just wondering if you still have the 2 items of if Donna beat me to the punch. I wish I'd checked in sooner.

Thanks
Mike
Old 07-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #11

Quote:
There was one year about '72 or possibly '73 when Boler put reflectors on the front. They were almost the same size as the tail lights.
James - that must be it - reflectors vs working signals. They looked pretty slick as they echoed the rear. There's an orange Boler on Flickr that has them.

Marty - Thanks for the details on making them. I'll keep my feelers out from some stock ones, but have saved your info. This technique could be applied to the propane tank cover I want to build. I suppose a person could carve some styrofoam into shape and then follow the same procedure.

Cheers-
Old 07-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Hi Chester - just wondering if you still have the 2 items of if Donna beat me to the punch. I wish I'd checked in sooner.

Thanks
Mike
Yes Mike they have been sent to Donna. I PMed you.
Ches
Old 07-23-2009, 04:00 PM   #13
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
I still have the set of 77 Boler tail light lens and backing plates in mint condition that I will sell. I don't have the FG pots though.
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:19 PM   #14

Trailer: 1974 Boler and 1988 Bigfoot
Hi Mike sounds like you want to change your LiL Bigfoot into a Boler anyway if you see a Boler that has sort of tail lights look alikes in the front it was called a Bug Eye Boler very rare ,not to many around,but like everything else they are still found somewhere. Rick...
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lighting, tail lights