Fresh Water Sources - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #21

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
So where are you in California??

And why aren't you signed up for either Lake San Antonio Central CA in May or Burney Falls Northern CA in September??? Or, both!!!!

Yes, water in the back of the trailer can be problematic throwing the trailer weight off. I found that I had no problem as long as I didn't exceed about 55/60 mph and I have my bike on the back to boot. I'm never in a hurry so I just putz along. I now have the generator on the front which seems to have off set the water and bike on the back.

I had a problem with Lily on the Alaska trip, she got the runs. I now carry bottled water for her. A 1/2 dozen or so small bottles. In the past I used a water filter for any water going into my holding tank. I got tired of fooling with them so I don't use them any more. What I do before I fill any water containers is taste the water to see if it taste good, then I fill either the trailer tank or the collapsible jugs. In 9 years I've never gotten sick so I don't worry about anything other than the taste.

As far as using the jugs as hold downs, I just hooked a bunge cord to the handle on the jug and the other end to the awning leg. There is an adjustment knob up about 3 feet that I attached to. 5 gallons weighs quite a bit.
I have Labrador Retrievers and I got the trailer to allow me to train and participate in out-of town retrieving hunt tests and field trials. Most of these events take place in the Pacific NW and Central California.

The San Antonio Rally conflicts with my Field trial/Hunt Test calendar. Not sure what's happening in September. If I have no conflicts, I'll try to get up there. Hoping for Lake Casitas in late October, since the folks there greatly influenced my thinking/selection of a trailer that would best meet my needs.

I like the idea of using a water filter for taste as well as parasite control. I honestly hadn't thought about that before this thread!

But I'm trying to get my head around where you put the filter. Is it something you put into the tank each fill up? Do you keep it in the tank for the entire trip? I'll definitely take a trip to Walmart and REI. Does anyone have a link to a good quality filter?

Thanks again!
Old 04-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #22

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
I have Labrador Retrievers and I got the trailer to allow me to train and participate in retrieving out-of town hunt tests and field trials. Most of these events take place in the Pacific NW and Central California.

The San Antonio Rally conflicts with my Field trial/Hunt Test calendar. Not sure what's happening in September. If I have no conflicts, I'll try to get up there. Hoping for Lake Casitas in late October, since the folks there greatly influenced my thinking/selection of a trailer that would best meet my needs.

I like the idea of using a water filter for taste as well as parasite control. I honestly hadn't thought about that before this thread!

But I'm trying to get my head around where you put the filter. Is it something you put into the tank each fill up? Do you keep it in the tank for the entire trip? I'll definitely take a trip to Walmart and REI. Does anyone have a link to a good quality filter?

Thanks again!
There are three ways you can filter. Depending on how your rig is plumbed would also effect how you do it. If you travel often and it sounds like you do. I would have a dealership install a filter inside. This would go just after your electric pump inline. That way it filters any water that is in your tank before it enters any of your appliances. You can install the Wal-Mart filter in this manor. I like this setup because your tank will always have some water in it and it can get nasty. So this almost guarantees no matter what, that your tap/shower water is clean. Now, if your Trailer is (Like Mine) This will not filter water coming in from the "city water" hookup. In this case you can also carry a "Wal-Mart" filter that screws directly into the water inlet, on the outside of your coach. The fresh water line would go from the spigot to the other end of the filter. This ensures that all water no matter the sources gets filtered before it reaches your internal plumbing.

If you are really skeptical of the water source (IE your stuck using river water) I recommend adding purification tablets to the water in a jug or collapsible container. These are basically iodine tablets. After treating the water you can then dump it into your tank. In this case if you have a portable pump like the example in the pictures you would have the filter connected to the pump. And it would remove the Hopefully now dead parasites from the treatment. as well as another nasties that may be left in the water. The tablets do leave a taste but if you take the lid off and let the water sit about 30 mins per gallon of water. The iodine evaporates. and the taste dissipates. There have been extensive studies on the use of the tablets and the general consensus is that they are safe.

One thing to note on filters. Although most claim to remove chemicals.... This is a huge grey area in the specifications. If you think there is chemical contaminations to the water.... DO NOT DRINK IT. No matter how much you boil, filter or treat it. Don't cook or even bathe with it.

If anyone uses these filter configurations please post some pictures. I think this is a vary important discussion. I have a friend that drank water one time from a stream way up in the mountains.. He got sic and he has had Major health problems ever since. And lets face it water quality is not getting better...

- Raya

I do a lot of trail driving. I allays leave home with a full tank.. If there is anything left at the end of camping I drain it. I did one time forget to drain and left about 1/3 of the water in it. When I got home I realized that the hold down straps on the tank had broken completely free. It was a pretty bumpy ride and the sloshing must have been extreme. I had forgotten all about that until you mentioned the hazards of a partially filled tank. I added some reinforcement to the hold downs after that event. I have not had any other issues since. My tank is only 11 gallons. I can imagine a larger tank could effect driving if it were sloshing around a lot.

David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #23

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Here's what you need for water:

1. A splitter (so when you are connected to a water source at the campsite you have a means of water without disconnecting your trailer water.
2. A water pressure reducer (you can blow your water lines as pressure varies greatly from faucet to faucet.)
3. A water filter
4. Several hoses of different lengths (I have a 6ft, 10ft & 2 25ft.)
5. An elbow for the connection at the trailer (this keep the hose from kinking under the weight itself and the water, especially in high temperate areas.)
6. A water thief (enables you to connect your hose to a faucet that does not have a threaded faucet.)
7. A spray nozzle (just comes in handy)
8. Misc. faucet handles (I went down to the hardware store and purchased all the different handles that go on faucets. You'll come across faucets without handles so using a handle is better than a wrench which could do damage to the faucet.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	109_7821.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	27174

On left connects to trailer:.........On the right connects to faucet:
Elbow........................................ Splitter
Filter..........................................Pr essure reducer
Hose..........................................Hose

All my connections have quick connects on them that's why you can't see the threads.

Name:	109_7824.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	27179

Here's the variety of handles needed for faucets.
The rubber green thing is the water thief. You simply push it on a faucet that has no threads and then tighten the hose clamp, so you'll need a screwdriver handy.

Name:	109_7823.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	27175

And the nozzle that comes in handy
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #24

Quote:
Here's what you need for water:

1. A splitter (so when you are connected to a water source at the campsite you have a means of water without disconnecting your trailer water.
2. A water pressure reducer (you can blow your water lines as pressure varies greatly from faucet to faucet.)
3. A water filter
4. Several hoses of different lengths (I have a 6ft, 10ft & 2 25ft.)
5. An elbow for the connection at the trailer (this keep the hose from kinking under the weight itself and the water, especially in high temperate areas.)
6. A water thief (enables you to connect your hose to a faucet that does not have a threaded faucet.)
7. A spray nozzle (just comes in handy)
8. Misc. faucet handles (I went down to the hardware store and purchased all the different handles that go on faucets. You'll come across faucets without handles so using a handle is better than a wrench which could do damage to the faucet.)

All my connections have quick connects on them that's why you can't see the threads.
Wow! WOW! WOW!

Terrific info and pictures.

After reading your posts, I dropped all my "must do to-do list" and ran over to Walmart and my hardware store.

Can you believe it, but I forgot to get the collaspsible jugs.

I got the multiple faucet handles from my hardware store.

I did pick up the Walmart water filter - much larger than Joy's. Quite frankly, if it doesn't cost too much more, I'd rather have something more compact.

Walmart didn't have the quick connects, and my hardware store told me that I can only find them at RV stores.

I also need to go to another RV store for the elbow and splitter. Walmart had these items - but the cashier received some message that these products had been recalled and took them away from me!

But I now have a shopping list and a plan of action!

Joy, one more question: the water thief. Is this something you put together from a variety of hardware items, or can by purchase it?

Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I put things together.

JMP
Old 04-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #25

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Joy, one more question: the water thief. Is this something you put together from a variety of hardware items, or can by purchase it?
I'm not Joy, but I'll jump in here and answer your question:
The "Water Thief" is a regularly available item that you can just purchase... Joy has added the clamp to hers.
I have seen them in my local WalMart stores.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #26

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Quote:
Walmart didn't have the quick connects, and my hardware store told me that I can only find them at RV stores.

I also need to go to another RV store for the elbow and splitter.

I have purchased quick connects and splitters at Menards. I'd guess an elbow would be available at a home center, too. Much cheaper than an RV center.

Thank you to all for the great info! This is now on my To-Do list.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #27

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
I always carry a small glass n the TV. A quck sp of any water suppply will immediately tell you if you even want to use it. Almost everyone in SoCal has bottled water since the public water supply tastes bad. Sometimes you just have to stop and buy a few gallons just for drinking, cooking and coffee.
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #28

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Jane,

I found the filter in my garage, brand new but about 6 years old. I went on-line looking or it...cough cough...$73. But in retrospect I think I paid $45 to $50 for mine.

The elbows and splitters are found at hardware stores as well as quick connects. My water things are all brass which is hard to find now days. Most are plastic or some kind punk metal. If you want brass just keep looking, maybe a plumbing supply store. RV store at last resort as they are generally very pricey.

I don't remember where I got the water thief.

Jane, when you connect your water things to a campground water supply be sure to disconnect it as soon as you disconnect the hose. I accidentally left mine attached to a faucet in Canada when I was on my way to Alaska. I managed to find brass fittings but the Canadian's water connections are opposite of ours. So it took a little fiddling to get it all back together. My Canadian setup is a backup now. When I got back from my trip I went out lookiing for USA water fittings and that's when I found out that it's hard to find brass now.

Frederick,
Nope, I didn't add the clamp to the water thief, it came with it. But I did add the quick connect for the hose.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #29

Joy, does it matter to you if the Elbow is 90 or 45 degrees?

I have looked on line at WalMarts, Home Depot and some plumbing supply stores in my area for those items. Except for the splitter, no luck. Since time is $$$, it may be advisable to go to Camping World and have done with it.

Fred, I didn't see the water thief at WalMarts yesterday - and I was looking for it. Nor did I find it on their web site. Maybe they discontinued that product.

I did buy the filter at WalMarts. Though it wasn't all that expensive, I do wish it was more compact. I probably should spend a little time researching other filters/purifiers that may better meet my needs. But at least I have something ready to go.

Thanks again for your help!

Old 04-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #30

Quote:
There are three ways you can filter. Depending on how your rig is plumbed would also effect how you do it. If you travel often and it sounds like you do. I would have a dealership install a filter inside. This would go just after your electric pump inline. That way it filters any water that is in your tank before it enters any of your appliances. You can install the Wal-Mart filter in this manor. I like this setup because your tank will always have some water in it and it can get nasty. So this almost guarantees no matter what, that your tap/shower water is clean. Now, if your Trailer is (Like Mine) This will not filter water coming in from the "city water" hookup. In this case you can also carry a "Wal-Mart" filter that screws directly into the water inlet, on the outside of your coach. The fresh water line would go from the spigot to the other end of the filter. This ensures that all water no matter the sources gets filtered before it reaches your internal plumbing.
Dave,

Thank you so much for outlining my options. Your explanation was extremely helpful.

I am intrigued with the idea of an internal filtration system. I think, however, that I will wait a year or so before considering this Mod.

Thanks again for your excellent post!

JMP

Old 04-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #31

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hello again - a quick warning someone posted on another 'water related' thread. BEFORE hooking up to the water supply at your campsite, be sure to wipe the faucet with a bleach- or disinfectant-treated cloth or paper towel. At various times we have observed folks letting their dogs drink directly from the faucet, or washing unpleasant stuff at the fresh water source. LdB
Old 04-05-2010, 01:19 AM   #32

ONE MORE QUESTION BEFORE I GO TO BED!

Those quick connect fittings- do I need a male set? One fitting alone would not work, do I need to get it's mate?

Sorry for my confusion. Trying to work through an order.

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:52 AM   #33

Quote:
Dave,

Thank you so much for outlining my options. Your explanation was extremely helpful.

I am intrigued with the idea of an internal filtration system. I think, however, that I will wait a year or so before considering this Mod.

Thanks again for your excellent post!

JMP
You are welcome, I am glad it was help full... I have spent quite a bit of time in the back woods (of the Cascades) Although we have decent water sources. I spend a lot of time on educating (especially the younger ones) on water safety and hygiene. I don't think there is such a thing as too much education, on that subject! Best wishes to you! Have a great camping season!!!

Old 04-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #34

Quote:
Hello again - a quick warning someone posted on another 'water related' thread. BEFORE hooking up to the water supply at your campsite, be sure to wipe the faucet with a bleach- or disinfectant-treated cloth or paper towel. At various times we have observed folks letting their dogs drink directly from the faucet, or washing unpleasant stuff at the fresh water source. LdB
I am so glad you brought that up! I usually let a spigot run for at least 1 min 2 if I can get away with it. Any where I am getting water. Especially a public use or campground hookup. I had not thought about wiping down the bib and fittings with a disinfectant. That is a great suggestion. . There is a whole host of flesh eating bacteria that could grow in there. Now I'm really grossed out! Maybe I will just boil all my water from now on? Tea anyone?
Old 04-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #35

Quote:
ONE MORE QUESTION BEFORE I GO TO BED!

Those quick connect fittings- do I need a male set? One fitting alone would not work, do I need to get it's mate?

Sorry for my confusion. Trying to work through an order.

Thanks.
This is what I use. This is both the male and female ends connected together. I have never used the plastic ones, but I am sure they work just as well. Note that the Plastic ones from the hardware store MAY NOT BE RATED FOR DRINKING WATER... The plastics may not be safe. Brass or copper will almost always be safe. Same goes for selecting your hose. Buy a high quality Drinking Water hose only. (Usually white) not a garden hose. Garden hoses often have lead and other toxins in them. One more thing about copper. Copper is by nature anti-fungal and antimicrobial, this is why it makes the best domestic water pipe. Basically nothing can live on the surface of copper, it is toxic. However the small amounts of coper oxide leached into the water is quite healthy for humans, and other mammals. Copper is always a good choice for potable water. But always check to make sure that whatever you are using for fittings and tubing, that they are rated for "Potable Water" or "Human Consumption"
Attached Thumbnails
41ZxQTPGJdL._SS500_.jpg  
Old 04-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #36

Question

Quote:
But always check to make sure that whatever you are using for fittings and tubing, that they are rated for "Potable Water" or "Human Consumption"

You sure know how to complicate things!

Where did you buy your hose connector?

I called the manufacture of the quick hose connector system that Lowe's carries Gilmour Quick Connector at Lowes'. She told me that, although it is brass, you need a certain percentage of lead to "hold the metal together". Therefore, it was not rated for potable water or human consumption.

Also, how much water pressure will these quick connectors be subjected? How can I determine if any particular product will withstand water pressure during a multi-day stay at the RV park?

All this research into hose connection hardware, while interesting, is taking up way too much of my time. I have my own work to complete and a couple of dogs to train!

Camping World is looking better and better.

JMP

Old 04-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #37

Quote:

You sure know how to complicate things!

Where did you buy your hose connector?

I called the manufacture of the quick hose connector system that Lowe's carries Gilmour Quick Connector at Lowes'. She told me that, although it is brass, you need a certain percentage of lead to "hold the metal together". Therefore, it was not rated for potable water or human consumption.

Also, how much water pressure will these quick connectors be subjected? How can I determine if any particular product will withstand water pressure during a multi-day stay at the RV park?

JMP
I don't remember where I bought it

I have heard that some places could see up to 80 Psi, Any fitting I have are usually rated to 100Psi.

You don't have to use quick connects, They are just handy Camping World is probably your best bet!

I am glad you asked the manufacturer... That is good information. That is actually (If memory serves me) the same reason steel pipe is not used in domestic water systems anymore.

You may look online as well. I think I saw some RV rated ones on Amazon!

Funny thing about Lead the word "Plumbing" is from the Latin "plumbum" for (lead) as pipes were made from raw lead. Don't want to end up like the Roman Empire
Old 04-05-2010, 03:11 PM   #38

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
I had not thought about wiping down the bib and fittings with a disinfectant. That is a great suggestion. . There is a whole host of flesh eating bacteria that could grow in there.
David,

As I understood it, flesh-eating bacteria (Vibrio) only grow in salt water, not fresh. Would you mind posting the information on the freshwater source?

Thanks,
Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #39

Quote:
David,

As I understood it, flesh-eating bacteria (Vibrio) only grow in salt water, not fresh. Would you mind posting the information on the freshwater source?

Thanks,
Raya

Raya, - I was being overly dramatic! - Now I am laughing.... I get a little carried away sometimes!

I don't know of any truly "Flesh Eating" Fresh water bacteria. (In the US anyway) .... I use scare tactics like that on the kids to keep them from drinking pond water Then I will show them the pictures from "Medicine for Mountaineering" and tell them that (Some gruesome illustration in the book) is a direct result of such.... Works every time!
Old 04-06-2010, 12:51 AM   #40

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
There was something mentioned about filters earlier in this thread. Some concern about using it then letting it sit and using it at a considerable time later.
In my backpacking days I did a lot research on water filters since all water had to be carried or you used surface water from a spring, a stream, or a lake. Surface water always needed to be purified and filtering took less mess, bother, and tasted better than any other method.. After trying several different filters the one the worked the best for me contained a ceramic filter insert. A piece of Scotch Bright comes with the filter. When outside of the ceramic is starting to clog up you scrub it lightly with the Scotch Bright, and it's good as new. My backpacking filter is about 4 years old at the moment and I'll probably use it this summer without replacing the ceramic cartridge.

I recently found a ceramic filter that made about the same way for the trailer. It's Camco TastePURE CX90. Here's a link the manufacturer's web site.
camco link I purchased mine at Camping World. According to Camping World this filter removes more the bad stuff than any other.

I filter mostly the water from my well, there's lots minerals and iron that will collect in the fresh water tank. Most of the potable water at campgrounds I use without filtering and don't see much need for filtering. I'll still carry my filter and if suspect any thing about the water I'll use it.

Byron