Fresh Water Sources - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #29

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft

Joy, does it matter to you if the Elbow is 90 or 45 degrees?

I have looked on line at WalMarts, Home Depot and some plumbing supply stores in my area for those items. Except for the splitter, no luck. Since time is $$$, it may be advisable to go to Camping World and have done with it.

Fred, I didn't see the water thief at WalMarts yesterday - and I was looking for it. Nor did I find it on their web site. Maybe they discontinued that product.

I did buy the filter at WalMarts. Though it wasn't all that expensive, I do wish it was more compact. I probably should spend a little time researching other filters/purifiers that may better meet my needs. But at least I have something ready to go.

Thanks again for your help!

Old 04-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #30

Quote:
There are three ways you can filter. Depending on how your rig is plumbed would also effect how you do it. If you travel often and it sounds like you do. I would have a dealership install a filter inside. This would go just after your electric pump inline. That way it filters any water that is in your tank before it enters any of your appliances. You can install the Wal-Mart filter in this manor. I like this setup because your tank will always have some water in it and it can get nasty. So this almost guarantees no matter what, that your tap/shower water is clean. Now, if your Trailer is (Like Mine) This will not filter water coming in from the "city water" hookup. In this case you can also carry a "Wal-Mart" filter that screws directly into the water inlet, on the outside of your coach. The fresh water line would go from the spigot to the other end of the filter. This ensures that all water no matter the sources gets filtered before it reaches your internal plumbing.
Dave,

Thank you so much for outlining my options. Your explanation was extremely helpful.

I am intrigued with the idea of an internal filtration system. I think, however, that I will wait a year or so before considering this Mod.

Thanks again for your excellent post!

JMP

Old 04-04-2010, 11:30 PM   #31

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hello again - a quick warning someone posted on another 'water related' thread. BEFORE hooking up to the water supply at your campsite, be sure to wipe the faucet with a bleach- or disinfectant-treated cloth or paper towel. At various times we have observed folks letting their dogs drink directly from the faucet, or washing unpleasant stuff at the fresh water source. LdB
Old 04-05-2010, 02:19 AM   #32

ONE MORE QUESTION BEFORE I GO TO BED!

Those quick connect fittings- do I need a male set? One fitting alone would not work, do I need to get it's mate?

Sorry for my confusion. Trying to work through an order.

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #33

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Dave,

Thank you so much for outlining my options. Your explanation was extremely helpful.

I am intrigued with the idea of an internal filtration system. I think, however, that I will wait a year or so before considering this Mod.

Thanks again for your excellent post!

JMP
You are welcome, I am glad it was help full... I have spent quite a bit of time in the back woods (of the Cascades) Although we have decent water sources. I spend a lot of time on educating (especially the younger ones) on water safety and hygiene. I don't think there is such a thing as too much education, on that subject! Best wishes to you! Have a great camping season!!!

Old 04-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #34

Quote:
Hello again - a quick warning someone posted on another 'water related' thread. BEFORE hooking up to the water supply at your campsite, be sure to wipe the faucet with a bleach- or disinfectant-treated cloth or paper towel. At various times we have observed folks letting their dogs drink directly from the faucet, or washing unpleasant stuff at the fresh water source. LdB
I am so glad you brought that up! I usually let a spigot run for at least 1 min 2 if I can get away with it. Any where I am getting water. Especially a public use or campground hookup. I had not thought about wiping down the bib and fittings with a disinfectant. That is a great suggestion. . There is a whole host of flesh eating bacteria that could grow in there. Now I'm really grossed out! Maybe I will just boil all my water from now on? Tea anyone?
Old 04-05-2010, 11:42 AM   #35

Quote:
ONE MORE QUESTION BEFORE I GO TO BED!

Those quick connect fittings- do I need a male set? One fitting alone would not work, do I need to get it's mate?

Sorry for my confusion. Trying to work through an order.

Thanks.
This is what I use. This is both the male and female ends connected together. I have never used the plastic ones, but I am sure they work just as well. Note that the Plastic ones from the hardware store MAY NOT BE RATED FOR DRINKING WATER... The plastics may not be safe. Brass or copper will almost always be safe. Same goes for selecting your hose. Buy a high quality Drinking Water hose only. (Usually white) not a garden hose. Garden hoses often have lead and other toxins in them. One more thing about copper. Copper is by nature anti-fungal and antimicrobial, this is why it makes the best domestic water pipe. Basically nothing can live on the surface of copper, it is toxic. However the small amounts of coper oxide leached into the water is quite healthy for humans, and other mammals. Copper is always a good choice for potable water. But always check to make sure that whatever you are using for fittings and tubing, that they are rated for "Potable Water" or "Human Consumption"
Attached Thumbnails
41ZxQTPGJdL._SS500_.jpg  
Old 04-05-2010, 02:36 PM   #36

Question

Quote:
But always check to make sure that whatever you are using for fittings and tubing, that they are rated for "Potable Water" or "Human Consumption"

You sure know how to complicate things!

Where did you buy your hose connector?

I called the manufacture of the quick hose connector system that Lowe's carries Gilmour Quick Connector at Lowes'. She told me that, although it is brass, you need a certain percentage of lead to "hold the metal together". Therefore, it was not rated for potable water or human consumption.

Also, how much water pressure will these quick connectors be subjected? How can I determine if any particular product will withstand water pressure during a multi-day stay at the RV park?

All this research into hose connection hardware, while interesting, is taking up way too much of my time. I have my own work to complete and a couple of dogs to train!

Camping World is looking better and better.

JMP

Old 04-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #37

Quote:

You sure know how to complicate things!

Where did you buy your hose connector?

I called the manufacture of the quick hose connector system that Lowe's carries Gilmour Quick Connector at Lowes'. She told me that, although it is brass, you need a certain percentage of lead to "hold the metal together". Therefore, it was not rated for potable water or human consumption.

Also, how much water pressure will these quick connectors be subjected? How can I determine if any particular product will withstand water pressure during a multi-day stay at the RV park?

JMP
I don't remember where I bought it

I have heard that some places could see up to 80 Psi, Any fitting I have are usually rated to 100Psi.

You don't have to use quick connects, They are just handy Camping World is probably your best bet!

I am glad you asked the manufacturer... That is good information. That is actually (If memory serves me) the same reason steel pipe is not used in domestic water systems anymore.

You may look online as well. I think I saw some RV rated ones on Amazon!

Funny thing about Lead the word "Plumbing" is from the Latin "plumbum" for (lead) as pipes were made from raw lead. Don't want to end up like the Roman Empire
Old 04-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #38

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
I had not thought about wiping down the bib and fittings with a disinfectant. That is a great suggestion. . There is a whole host of flesh eating bacteria that could grow in there.
David,

As I understood it, flesh-eating bacteria (Vibrio) only grow in salt water, not fresh. Would you mind posting the information on the freshwater source?

Thanks,
Raya
Old 04-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #39

Quote:
David,

As I understood it, flesh-eating bacteria (Vibrio) only grow in salt water, not fresh. Would you mind posting the information on the freshwater source?

Thanks,
Raya

Raya, - I was being overly dramatic! - Now I am laughing.... I get a little carried away sometimes!

I don't know of any truly "Flesh Eating" Fresh water bacteria. (In the US anyway) .... I use scare tactics like that on the kids to keep them from drinking pond water Then I will show them the pictures from "Medicine for Mountaineering" and tell them that (Some gruesome illustration in the book) is a direct result of such.... Works every time!
Old 04-06-2010, 01:51 AM   #40

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
There was something mentioned about filters earlier in this thread. Some concern about using it then letting it sit and using it at a considerable time later.
In my backpacking days I did a lot research on water filters since all water had to be carried or you used surface water from a spring, a stream, or a lake. Surface water always needed to be purified and filtering took less mess, bother, and tasted better than any other method.. After trying several different filters the one the worked the best for me contained a ceramic filter insert. A piece of Scotch Bright comes with the filter. When outside of the ceramic is starting to clog up you scrub it lightly with the Scotch Bright, and it's good as new. My backpacking filter is about 4 years old at the moment and I'll probably use it this summer without replacing the ceramic cartridge.

I recently found a ceramic filter that made about the same way for the trailer. It's Camco TastePURE CX90. Here's a link the manufacturer's web site.
camco link I purchased mine at Camping World. According to Camping World this filter removes more the bad stuff than any other.

I filter mostly the water from my well, there's lots minerals and iron that will collect in the fresh water tank. Most of the potable water at campgrounds I use without filtering and don't see much need for filtering. I'll still carry my filter and if suspect any thing about the water I'll use it.

Byron

Old 04-06-2010, 08:29 AM   #41

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2010 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Registry
Joy said, "I managed to find brass fittings but the Canadian's water connections are opposite of ours."

Joy, We are planning a trip to Alaska (driving thru Canada, of course). Are you saying we will need a different set of hose connectors/fittings, etc. for use in Canada. If so, where do we get them and what do we need? I did not see any reference to different fittings in the Milepost book or other info we have been collecting on Alaska/Canada camping.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #42

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2011 Toyota Sienna
Ontario
Canadian and American water connections for garden hoses and for all household fittings are identical!
The same companies supply both countries.
There may be some regional slight differences and rules, like, in Canada a 'Hose bib' (Backflow Preventer) is required at any outlet for a garden hose, to prevent the water in the hose from flowing back into the house when the sun heats up the water and creates excess pressure.
Other than that, the names Moen, Waltek, American Standard, Delta, and others, are well know in both countries. Now I have seen some variances in push together garden hose couplings and have seen people using them backwards. There is incompatibility between the manufacturers of these couplings, but not due to Canada and US!
A good selection of fittings, though, is a good idea when travelling!
Mike

Quote:
Joy said, "I managed to find brass fittings but the Canadian's water connections are opposite of ours."

Joy, We are planning a trip to Alaska (driving thru Canada, of course). Are you saying we will need a different set of hose connectors/fittings, etc. for use in Canada. If so, where do we get them and what do we need? I did not see any reference to different fittings in the Milepost book or other info we have been collecting on Alaska/Canada camping.