Fridge door seal - removal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Question Fridge door seal - removal

I just went through 15 pages and found no reference, although it may be here somewhere.....
When I clean, I clean and it looks like the seal on my Dometic door has never been cleaned let alone removed and cleaned. I thought the inner panel on the door could be removed by removing screws under the door seal but I can't find any. Removing the inner panel should release the seal. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance. D.
1976 Trillium 1300.
Scouter Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Dave, what's the model number on the Dometic? There may be a manual in the Document Center that will give you answers that you seek: Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Refrigerators
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #3

Newfoundland & Labrador
I checked the Docs section first.
Model # is RM24a listed on the plate. I have the original 3-page foldout instruction sheets for the fridge and there is nothing about removing the seal. I'm hoping that someone has done it and will share... D.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, looks like I've neglected to add the RM24a to the Document Center... have to do that right now. As soon as it's visible to the membership Dave, see page 15, it has the info you need to remove the gasket.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:38 AM   #5

Newfoundland & Labrador
WOW!! Now that's what I call an answer. I have just printed off the pages for the RM24a. They will be added to my binder for future reference.
I thought I had the gasket removal method right but the gasket is stiff in places and I was reluctant to pry it too much. I will warm it up and try again.
Many thanks for the response and for the inclusion of the manual in the Docs section. D.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #6

Newfoundland & Labrador
Wink Fridge door seal - removal

Well I thought I had the answer.....If all else fails, read the instructions...
The inner door panel can not be removed. See P. 15, Section 5, Para 1. ["...i.e. the door panel cannot be removed."] of the recently posted manual for the RM24 Dometic fridge.
However, the science project that was my fridge door has been removed. I opted for a total immersion, some good, friendly cleaner, elbow grease, a scrub brush, q tips and a shower rinse. Now I will wait it out for a thorough drying period.
I do not know what may be growing or evolving in the sewers under our fair town as a result of my actions but I hope it does not come back to haunt me.
Thanks again. D.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
ok, here is a tip from uncle john,,,,, if you have a ultrisonic tooth brush, save you worn out brushes. that little buzzing beast can clean in nooks and cranies likt nobodies business.
in fact i bought one i keep in my shop for cleaning little stuff and grimey crevases.
a little bleach and water,,,and no mold is safe.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Now that is a great tip John!!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge