Fridge vent - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-05-2010, 09:53 PM   #1

Name: Vicki
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Texas
The sun FINALLY came out today, so back to work on Tillie. One blessing to all of the blasted rain we have had, is I think I know where all of my leaks are coming from! I pulled the fridge vents, wanting to reseal them, and found more WET , crud!!! (So they had been leaking) I pulled the fridge out and found an animal farm inside, actually - LOTS of wasp and mud daubber nests - THIS BIG!!!! There were no screens inside either of the vents - should there be, so I don't have more company? If so, what should I use - fiberglss screen so there will be no rusting??
Hope someone can help me.
Vicki

Old 02-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Vicki,

Screen does not come with the vents, in Arizona we have the mud dauber wasps and the paper wasps too that really like this access to any trailer, I cut plastic bug screen available anywhere, I glue it inside the lower door and the upper vent, when set its impervious to heat and will block these insects. The water is another matter, its problematic more so with different vent designs. When in storage its wise to rain cover these areas.

Happy Camping. Safe Trails.

Harry

Old 02-09-2010, 11:27 PM   #3

Name: Herb
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
I read somewhere that putting a flea collar near the fridge and water heater burners would repel the pests.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:13 AM   #4

Name: Jen
Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
My Compact Jr. didn't have a screen, either, and it just didn't make sense. So, I took off the outside vent cover, cut a piece of screen to fit the hole, then screwed it in (and sealed with, yes, silicon). Our trailer seems to keep out pretty tiny mosquitos ala Montana, so I'm happy with it!
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #5

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
One potential consideration is that screening does reduce airflow somewhat. Obviously, something really "tight" like no-see-um netting reduces it more than regular window screen, which reduces it more than hardware cloth, etc.

I'm not advising against screening, but, depending on where you camp, and how much you need every bit of your possible airflow, it could be nice to make it removable. Then, say if you were camping someplace very hot and without too many bugs, you might want to take it out when the fridge was running. Or, if you are in an area where you don't need very fine screening, but still want something, you could use hardware cloth (which is like screening but with larger holes).

Just something to consider.

Raya
Old 02-10-2010, 04:35 PM   #6

Name: Vicki
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Texas
Jen - you used SILICONE!!!! Do you lose your membership for that?? Actually, I understand and it makes a lot of sense.

Raya - hindering airflow is a great point. And in Texas. you usually need as much as you can get. Maybe I'll come up with some sort of cover when not being used.

Thanks to all
Vciki
Old 02-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Jen - you used SILICONE!!!! Do you lose your membership for that?? Actually, I understand and it makes a lot of sense.
She has already been made aware of her transgression in another thread. In fairness to her, she asked a professional for advice, and was told butyl was "old fashioned." I guess he only knew of two types of caulk and butyl was "out."

Raya
Old 02-11-2010, 12:03 AM   #8

Name: Jen
Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Cool

Quote:
Jen - you used SILICONE!!!! Do you lose your membership for that??
I KNOW! After Raya gave her heart a jumpstart with the defibrilator, mopped up the coffee, cleaned up the shattered remains of her mug and regained her composure, she set me straight. Good thing THIS forum welcomes open, constructive criticism. (I really appreciate not only her position, but also the info Harry provided here.)
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #9

Tags
fridge