Front dinette conversion: Do you find seats comfortable? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #15

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
That's a point, Clive.

Although, I would think you'd then have to offset it to the entry side, or you would have a hard time getting in past the wide table on the kitchen side (unless you made a sliding table or etc.) Of course if you offset it then you will still have a "deep seat" side.

I hope you'll post photos as you do your mod so we can see how you go about it

Raya

Old 08-10-2009, 08:31 PM   #16

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
Raya: They were office chairs from Office Max. Microfiber, and I noticed the four-bolt mounting method of fixing them to the support leg assembly, which made them easily mountable (with some reinforcement) to the fiberglass platform.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:41 PM   #17

Name: Clive
Trailer: Boler American #3104
Florida
Registry
"Although, I would think you'd then have to offset it to the entry side, or you would have a hard time getting in past the wide table on the kitchen side (unless you made a sliding table or etc.) Of course if you offset it then you will still have a "deep seat" side."

I was thinking about a drop leaf corner on the table. Or worst case cutting the corner off.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #18

Thanks, Per!

Clive: Aha!
Old 08-16-2009, 11:50 AM   #19

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Raya,

I've contemplated making the dinette mod in my Scamp for sometime. I also thought about the depth of the seat. My solution would be to make a small storage area and slightly slant the back rest to make it more comfortable. Most bench seats are too straight and uncomfortable. It doesn't take much of a slant to make it comfortable.

I would also make the seat higher so you can see out better. I don't like my feet dangling. This would mean the foot rest/foot well could have a small storage space underneath. Some kind of a box with a lid.

Recently, since there is just me, I've been thinking about re-making the counter extension to curve around for a table and then just one seat by the door for me. This might to too radical of a change to the trailer.

Oh yes, Bigfoot trailers have a small storage area behind one of the seat backs. Looked good to me.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #20

Joy,

Funny, I was just in my Boler mocking up the very things you're thinking about

I had bought enough ply to make a counter completely across the front, and was originally thinking about making that whole area a desk, then using a chair in the main floor area, so I'd be facing forward with my feet in the "keyhole" (which is where I'd keep the chair when not in use).

Right now I, too, have a counter extension running forward along the driver's side wall next to the kitchen. I was thinking I'd just have that on top of the main desk, with a space between it and the desk which would be handy to slide papers or whatever (as it would be about 4" tall).

But I also like the dinette idea, and I do like to have a place to just set daily things when I come in the door (where the heck else does one toss a backpack, etc.?). Of course these could go on the original bench under the big desk, but...

So today I was mocking up making my desk/table run from the kitchen wall over to where one single seat would be on the door side of the trailer (with a small storage bin on the side wall to make the back shallower and more comfortable as you mentioned). This would give me the "set down a backpack" space (of course that would be MY seat!) by the door. And a place to sit without having a separate chair (although with one of those I could seat two).

I think I may cut my large piece of plywood (28" x width of trailer) so that there is one large "table" piece that runs from the kitchen wall over to where the door side table edge would normally be with a dinette conversion, and then try that out. I can save the door side piece in case I want to make a full width table. Or I could cut the whole thing down to just a "normal" table later. I'll put my current galley extension counter on a couple of 1" x 4" "rails" running perpendicular to the long wall of the trailer, and set it down on top of the desk. So I'll have that small space for papers or whatever to slide in and store.

I'm trying to talk myself out of the radical conversion I keep thinking about, wherein I move the kitchen to the front wall, then make a long bed/settee along the (former) kitchen wall. I like that because I'd have a "permanent" bed/table all in one. (In other words I'd have the table set up very similar to the current rear dinette table if you make it up, but just shifted a tiny bit to the door side for my 32" wide permanent bed/settee).

I really like the permanent bunk/settee/also-where-you-sit-at-the-table set-up -- it's what I'm used to on boats. No "deciding" whether to sit at the table or on the bed (I tend to hang out on the bed all the time and just use my galley extension that runs off the sink side and over the foot of the bed for my table, but that's not so comfortable as no place to lean back).

That's a lot of work though, so I'm going to try the dinette ideas first

Raya
Old 12-31-2012, 08:15 AM   #21

Name: T&K
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
Front dinette seats

We are in the middle of doing our conversion of our 1975 13' Boler. We will be adding a front dinette. We have also been puzzling over how to do the seats. We are interested in exploring the bucket seat idea. We would LOVE to see any or all of the front dinette photos that any of you have collected. Thanks,

T&K
tom.mc@shaw.ca
Old 12-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #22

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Swiveling boat seats in our Burro. Small footprint of the swivel plate will demand backing up the fiberglass locker top with a plywood pad at inside top of locker to prevent deflection/possible cracking. Glassing it in or adhering with epoxy is possible but not fun. I used stainless steel carriage bolts thru the glass and plywood sandwich. Need only 4 to 6 of these around perimeter as the bolts thru the seat/swivel plate and locker top also reinforce and integrate the two layers.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #23

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Nice! I assume that the front dinette is stock. I notice that dinette is in fact offset toward the door. Is there storage space behind the kitchen side seat?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #24

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Dave, glass locker size and spacing is stock as is the size and position on the replacement tabletop. The driver's side locker is considerably wider than the passenger side as you correctly gauged from both window and inner hull centerlline trim. There is "casual" storage behind the seat back but no attempt at partitioning to make a bin. That happens to be "my" side so there's usually a fluorescent lantern, camera, radio, box of solar lights and other ready at hand miscellany. On the curving wall behind is an aluminum pot and pan hanging rail. As the seat swivels, I do have to watch that I don't jam that area with items that have a habit of preventing it from doing so. My way is never to gain an ounce or take up an inch of storage space with drawers, shelves, or partitions but realize others may want something more "organizational." I like food containers that will stack and bags that will conform to the space available.

jack
Old 01-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #25

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Since I have to replace the wood shelf that the couch back/ top bunk hinges from I have been considering a front dinette for this space. Just DW and myself so table would be a better use of space.

These ideas are very helpful. Especially the pictures!

I do want to maintain the ability to put the original couch and/or bunk back in so have been considering ways to have the table work much as the main table does, drops into seat to form bench that can be used as at least one bed.

Have seen pictures where people cut the corner on the kitchen counter side of the table to ease access to seat on that side.

This thread is going in my bookmarks thats for sure.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #26

Name: Shirley
Trailer: '82 13' Burro
Colorado
I have to throw in my two cents. I'm also brainstorming ideas for a front dinette conversion. Like others here, I pondered using swivel mounted boat seats. I went to Bass Pro Shop and put my backside in all of the floor demo models. I'm only 5'3" and not a big person. While they all fit side to side, none of the seats were deep enough and I found they cut my legs off in the middle of my hamstrings. Most uncomfortable!! I found this true for all of them - cheap or expensive. YMMV. Anyway, before any of you order seats off the internet do yourself a favor and try them out for size.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:06 AM   #27

Name: Peter
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee 15'-0
British Columbia
A couple of photos taken today of the Kitchen / Front Dinette mod that I am doing as the most recent part of the reno of my Trillium Jubilee.

I have actually got the dinette table made and will put it in temporarily for a photo tomorrow and try and post then.

I have lots of photos of fabrication of kitchen counter etc but haven't had time to post yet.

There are some earlier photos of this part of the reno here:
Trillium Interior Reno - Kichen / Dinette Mock up
Attached Thumbnails
KITCH:DINETTE 13 MAR 2013 # 2.jpg   KITCH:DINETTE 13 MAR 2013 #1  2.jpg  

Old 03-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #28

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
Peter, That is starting to look real nice. I did a front dinette in a 13' Scamp a few years back. The wife still tells me how much she loved that little camper. I'm sure you will love that mod also.