Front dinette conversion: Do you find seats comfortable? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2012, 08:15 AM   #21

Name: T&K
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
Front dinette seats

We are in the middle of doing our conversion of our 1975 13' Boler. We will be adding a front dinette. We have also been puzzling over how to do the seats. We are interested in exploring the bucket seat idea. We would LOVE to see any or all of the front dinette photos that any of you have collected. Thanks,

T&K
tom.mc@shaw.ca
rova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #22

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Swiveling boat seats in our Burro. Small footprint of the swivel plate will demand backing up the fiberglass locker top with a plywood pad at inside top of locker to prevent deflection/possible cracking. Glassing it in or adhering with epoxy is possible but not fun. I used stainless steel carriage bolts thru the glass and plywood sandwich. Need only 4 to 6 of these around perimeter as the bolts thru the seat/swivel plate and locker top also reinforce and integrate the two layers.

rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #23

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Nice! I assume that the front dinette is stock. I notice that dinette is in fact offset toward the door. Is there storage space behind the kitchen side seat?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #24

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Dave, glass locker size and spacing is stock as is the size and position on the replacement tabletop. The driver's side locker is considerably wider than the passenger side as you correctly gauged from both window and inner hull centerlline trim. There is "casual" storage behind the seat back but no attempt at partitioning to make a bin. That happens to be "my" side so there's usually a fluorescent lantern, camera, radio, box of solar lights and other ready at hand miscellany. On the curving wall behind is an aluminum pot and pan hanging rail. As the seat swivels, I do have to watch that I don't jam that area with items that have a habit of preventing it from doing so. My way is never to gain an ounce or take up an inch of storage space with drawers, shelves, or partitions but realize others may want something more "organizational." I like food containers that will stack and bags that will conform to the space available.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #25

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Since I have to replace the wood shelf that the couch back/ top bunk hinges from I have been considering a front dinette for this space. Just DW and myself so table would be a better use of space.

These ideas are very helpful. Especially the pictures!

I do want to maintain the ability to put the original couch and/or bunk back in so have been considering ways to have the table work much as the main table does, drops into seat to form bench that can be used as at least one bed.

Have seen pictures where people cut the corner on the kitchen counter side of the table to ease access to seat on that side.

This thread is going in my bookmarks thats for sure.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #26

Trailer: 82 Burro
I have to throw in my two cents. I'm also brainstorming ideas for a front dinette conversion. Like others here, I pondered using swivel mounted boat seats. I went to Bass Pro Shop and put my backside in all of the floor demo models. I'm only 5'3" and not a big person. While they all fit side to side, none of the seats were deep enough and I found they cut my legs off in the middle of my hamstrings. Most uncomfortable!! I found this true for all of them - cheap or expensive. YMMV. Anyway, before any of you order seats off the internet do yourself a favor and try them out for size.
Shirley LaMoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #27

Name: Peter
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee 15'-0
British Columbia
A couple of photos taken today of the Kitchen / Front Dinette mod that I am doing as the most recent part of the reno of my Trillium Jubilee.

I have actually got the dinette table made and will put it in temporarily for a photo tomorrow and try and post then.

I have lots of photos of fabrication of kitchen counter etc but haven't had time to post yet.

There are some earlier photos of this part of the reno here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-up-56880.html
Attached Thumbnails
KITCH:DINETTE 13 MAR 2013 # 2.jpg   KITCH:DINETTE 13 MAR 2013 #1  2.jpg  

peatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #28

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Peter, That is starting to look real nice. I did a front dinette in a 13' Scamp a few years back. The wife still tells me how much she loved that little camper. I'm sure you will love that mod also.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #29

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
I'm having all new cushions made up ($$$!!) - and am having custom backs made for those spots that will be thicker (6") at the end facing towards the interior, tapering to 0" towards the front - resulting in a 'squared' back to the seats, and about 6" forward of the sides of the hull. They will be useful as 'ramps' for TV watching in the bed area too.

I want to leave the front settee as a convertible for an extra bunk, and this was a good solution.
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:10 PM   #30

Name: Lorraine
Trailer: 1974 Boler
Manitoba
Karen B....is that an ironing board table? Thought of that myself!! Looks great!
rainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:27 PM   #31

Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
California
Just the way I did mine.

gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:19 PM   #32

Name: linda
Trailer: vintage camper
Ohio
Karen love your conversion! What size table are you using? Where did you purchase your table? I seen some on amazon but tables come in different size. Thanks
alleycatdiva99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:05 AM   #33

Name: Maureen
Trailer: Escape 17B
Massachusetts
We both have "Howdaseats" and use them either sitting at the dinette or on the bed. We fine them very comfortable.
Mob2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:08 AM   #34

Name: Maureen
Trailer: Escape 17B
Massachusetts
I think I've attached a picture of the "Howdaseats"
Attached Images

Mob2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:02 AM   #35

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
seat solutions...

i'm in a casita which shares the same dismal seating situation at the dinette. i camp host a few times a year and each time always involves inclement weather forcing a lot of seat time inside. the cushions provided form a 90 degree angle which is not comfortable for seating. my first solution was to build a frame for the oem cushions. this was an improvement as it raised the front of the seat cushion and moved the back cushion forward...kinda like a real chair.

turned out it still wasn't comfy enough for these old bones. then, a fellow camper told me about these. they're sold as "event seats", they fold in half and have backpack straps so you can get them easily to & from the stadium (or whatever). man! these things are the cat's meow...very cushioned and the back angle adjusts. they're pricey but i managed to get the west marine guys to give me half off the pair because they were "shopworn" (dusty).

after several 2-3 week trips and a 1 month host gig my seat search has ended.

p@
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0051.jpg   seat_1.jpg  

patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:07 PM   #36

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
Thanks! The table is http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...al-table/48945 and it's great.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:23 PM   #37

Name: linda
Trailer: vintage camper
Ohio
Wow that is the cats meow chairs

Sent from my SM-N910V using Fiberglass RV mobile app
alleycatdiva99 is offline   Reply With Quote