Frost damage? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #1

Trailer: 1993 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Hi, we have a 13' Scamp that we purchased in October, and now that winter is coming to California I'm wondering about what to do with below freezing temperatures. I've read about winter storage and the RV antifreeze, but we don't want to store it because we will still be using it in the winter. We're on the coast in northern CA, so it doesn't snow here, but it does occasionally drop below freezing on clear nights, maybe down into the mid 20's at the worst. But this is only a few nights a month, maybe a week straight at the most. Do I need to still use the RV antifreeze to keep the water lines from damage, or is that only for more severe weather? We do keep the Scamp covered with a Beverly Bay horse trailer cover when not using it. Since most all of the plumbing is inside the camper, I don't know if it might be insulated enough in there to keep things just above freezing.
Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #2

Trailer: Tent
A couple of nights in the low 20's can freeze the water lines. You could consider blowing the water lines out with compressed (compressor hooked to the city water in) air to get the water out. Then all you would need to do is connect to water when needed. It only takes a few minutes to blow them out, but a frozen line, joint, or faucet takes hours to repair/replace.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Wilder,

We are expecting cold Arctic air this weekend. You might want to drain the tanks, blow out the water lines and put antifreeze in the drain traps.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
An inexpensive electric heater will keep your trailer warm on the nights the temperature goes below freezing. It's what I do to protect my camper from freezing before I winterize it in late autumn here in Minnesota.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #5

Trailer: 1993 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Thanks for the tips! I will blow out the lines today and see how it goes. Big storm coming tonight
Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote