Furnace/Heater Recs for 13' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #1

Name: Laurie
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Furnace/Heater Recs for 13' Scamp

We bought a used 1998 13' Scamp last month on craigslist and are loving it so far! It did not come with a furnace/heater, and we would like to install one. We live in Northern MN, and plan to use it year-round. Any suggestions on what type/brand of furnace we should purchase? Thanks!
larob24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 71 Boler
I just removed the not working furnace from my boler, has anyone tried one if the ventless propane wall heaters that are available on eBay? I have one that I use to heat a shed and wondered about getting a smaller one for the trailer because it would be super easy to install
Brian Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by larob24 View Post
We bought a used 1998 13' Scamp last month on craigslist and are loving it so far! It did not come with a furnace/heater, and we would like to install one. We live in Northern MN, and plan to use it year-round. Any suggestions on what type/brand of furnace we should purchase? Thanks!
The furnace supplied by Scamp is ubiquitous and effective. Some folks think that the comforting sound of proper operation is too much, but it has never bothered me.
Where you live, you should consider taking it to Scamp for your furnace, you will find that their work is professional and their prices are better than competitive.
You might consider asking for a non-stock location for the thermostat.
Also, if you have a roof air conditioner you might consider adding a heat strip for those times when you have shore power.

I don't think anyone still produces a convection type[non-fan] RV furnace,but they work perfectly and quietly without wasting battery.

You will hear a lot from those who like the catalytic type heaters and they work well, but most are not vented and use inside air for combustion.
This can result in excessive moisture and oxygen depletion, requiring more attention and more agressive ventilation. If you consider this type, see if some one makes a vented type at least.
Overall the little suburban offered by Scamp should be the safest and most effective choice, even with drawbacks like battery consumption and fan noise.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #4

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Floyd:

Non-stock location for thermostat. Is that like not putting it where the cover gets ripped off every time you lift the cushion? That's right up there with the gap in the awning.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
Floyd:

Non-stock location for thermostat. Is that like not putting it where the cover gets ripped off every time you lift the cushion? That's right up there with the gap in the awning.
Although that can be a problem, I am more concerned about the fact that the furnace heats up the cabinet and artificially extends delay between calls for heat. This causes too much temperature swing.

You are right it is right up there with the awning gap....An easy fix.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #6

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Yes, that will be fixed also as soon as it is back on the camper. It tried to fly away about 4 o'clock one morning. After that it had issues about folding up. Stupid thing.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:01 AM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I don't think anyone still produces a convection type[non-fan] RV furnace,but they work perfectly and quietly without wasting battery.
It would be nice if they still did. Or at least incorporated the technology in the EcoFan which uses the heat from the furnace to make electricity that powers the fan. Imagine a slow moving fan that requires no power and turns itself on and off when needed.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:09 AM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
How it works is described here for the technology minded people.
http://www.caframo.com/hearth/pdf/80...lSheet2007.pdf
If anybody starts making them for our furnaces, I'll take one.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:54 AM   #9

Registry
more technology

The name for the principle is "peltier" pronounced pel-tee-a. Like a motor/generator it works both ways. One side warmer than the other it produces electricity. A voltage applied across the device, one side gets hot the other cold. The principle is used in that manner in those small coolers that you can plug into your car. Some have a switch that will allow it also work to keep things warm.

If I had a wood stove I think it would great to get one, if for no other reason the novelty.

The price is about $100.00. For $5.00 I can buy a 12Volt 140 cfm muffin fan. They're cute, but not very practical.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:29 PM   #10

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
My Scamp doesn't have a furnace, either. I have a small electric (ceramic) heater that I use when I have shore power, and a Mr. Heater Buddy heater to use when I don't have AC power. Yes, the Buddy heater does use inside air for combustion, but it only needs 9 square inches of ventilation. Even when using the electric heater, you will want a vent or window open because tour breath will raise the humidity inside and create condensation or frost.

The Buddy heater uses a very reliable type of oxygen depletion system. In fact, it won't even work at certain altitudes because of it (above 9,500 feet, I believe).

I have an RV with a furnace similar to the one that Scamp uses. I like white noise, but I still think it is rather loud. My wife would not stand for it. If I had a built-in furnace, and my wife wasn't camping with me, I would use it. The biggest complaint other than the noise is that the thermostats tend to give pretty big temperature shifts. Even with my electric heater, I tend to fool with it a bit during the night. The Buddy heater only had three modes: off, low, and high. High is too much for anything but bringing the camper up to temperature. You basically just use low and off to maintain a comfortable tempreature range. The best thing in that scenario is to have a nice sleeping bag or a nice warm comforter. Get it up to temp, get into bed, shut off the heat. If you wake up cold, turn the heater on for a few minutes and then go back to sleep. In the morning, turn on the heater and start your coffee... then jump back into bed until coffee is ready!
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #11

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
. . . The Buddy heater uses a very reliable type of oxygen depletion system. In fact, it won't even work at certain altitudes because of it (above 9,500 feet, I believe) . . .
More like 6500-7000 feet. We found that our while we were camping in Yellowstone a couple years ago. Infuriating; the thing would light, get to a nice cheery warm temperature, then go out.

Byron will sadly shake his head when he hears we now have three heaters in our Scamp: The original furnace, which is noisy and uses battery power, 11V AC ceramic cube heater, which we use when we have hookups, and a Wave 3 catalytic heater, which runs battery and noise free, but also requires that we open a vent up so oxygen can get in and water vapor can get out.

I like the Wave heater. If we heat the trailer up using the furnace, the Wave 3 will keep it warm on a cold night, and our rat-fur-walls don't get drippy wet as long as the outside humidity isn't too high.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterh View Post
More like 6500-7000 feet. We found that our while we were camping in Yellowstone a couple years ago. Infuriating; the thing would light, get to a nice cheery warm temperature, then go out.

Byron will sadly shake his head when he hears we now have three heaters in our Scamp: The original furnace, which is noisy and uses battery power, 11V AC ceramic cube heater, which we use when we have hookups, and a Wave 3 catalytic heater, which runs battery and noise free, but also requires that we open a vent up so oxygen can get in and water vapor can get out.

I like the Wave heater. If we heat the trailer up using the furnace, the Wave 3 will keep it warm on a cold night, and our rat-fur-walls don't get drippy wet as long as the outside humidity isn't too high.
An 11V AC hearter??
Never mind I know what you meant to say.
We try to keep the roof vent open to keep the condensation down. You'll get it even just using the furnace. I use a small ceramic 120 Volt heater when the trailer is parked my driveway. It keeps the trailer at about 50° so I don't have to worry about freezing.
My trailer has a lot less volume than your 5er, so ventilation is a bigger issue.

I'm so seldom in places with hook-ups that 120Volt anything takes up space that could be used for other things.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #13

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
We'll be staying in the Scamp over Thanksgiving in my in-laws' driveway. They have an extension cord from their shed for power, but I'm not sure if it will be enough for the ceramic cube heater, so I'm going to take the Buddy heater just in case. It will probably be in the 20s at night, so we will need some kind of heat for sure!

Peterh, good to know about the altitude issues. I don't know if our Scamp will ever see those kind of hills, though... We barely have any mountains over 2,000 feet in Maryland. We sit about 130 feet above sea level at home.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, scamp