Gas Station Woes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #1

Name: Carol
Trailer: Chalet XL for sale. Hoping to get a Snoozy.
New York
Gas Station Woes

Does anyone else have a problem getting gas? I NEVER see any other trailers lined up at gas stations, only cars, and then me. Where do they go? Trailers are on the roads, up and down the highways, but I am the only one who stops for gas. My problem is finding a lane that will accomodate the car plus trailer and getting in there before another car comes in from the other side. This happened to me 3 times this weekend. Sometimes the places are narrow and hard to maneuver getting out of the station once the pumping is finished. Sometimes I get very nasty looks from the attendants because I take up so much space. Lately I am actually panicked at the thought of filling up. I guess maybe the big rigs use diesel but where are they?

CarolMarie
CarolMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Truck stops. I always get gas at truck stops when traveling. If you need something stupid they usually have it. The Flyin J's now owned by Pilot often have propane and some actually have dump stations.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I don't go below 1/4 tank before I look for a fillup - that way I have room to pick and choose. So far its worked ...but now I've probably jinxed myself
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:19 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
A lot depends on the station and how close and/or convenient it is to a Freeway (in California) or Interstate (in the rest of the country). Those are usually no problem.
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1092.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	39954Interstate 5 in Weed, CA

I have been known to park at the curb on the street before entering a station to scope out the space limitations and traffic patterns in small rural towns.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:10 AM   #5

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
It may be something you get used to with practice. I used to find my Bigfoot somewhat ponderous, but after the last road trip, I'm finding it no problem to wheel into gas stations or even shopping centres.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:38 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMarie View Post
Sometimes I get very nasty looks from the attendants because I take up so much space.
CarolMarie
Sticks and stones.... If I get the "stink eye" from an attendant, that's their problem. I drive a truck and usually take more gallons of fuel than most rigs. My money is as good as anyones. They have a job because of people like me.

Carol, don't let it bother you, it doesn't me.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:30 AM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I think part of the magic of small fiberglass trailers is you can go anywhere. We love the ability to go to a Dunkin Donuts, or to pull into most any gas station.

As to attendents, it's almost impossible to find one except for NJ and OR where an attendant has to pump your gas.

As well I've reached the age where I hardly ever worry what others are thinking.

Travel safe

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:13 AM   #8

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
With my little 13 footer, I've never had a problem going in and out of a gas station. Some look like awfully tight turns but if the Jeep can make it so can the Scamp. It tracks right behind the Jeep, following in pretty much the same foot prints.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
When ever they are around I always buy from Murphy USA (get the discount with a Walmart card).

I too have waited in line for gas. In Tucson, just as I was putting the hose back on the pump, a USPS truck went around me on the right and used the pump in front of me. It took more 15 minutes because she had a sppecial credit card and had to wait for 4 other people to pay.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #10

Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
Took my Scamp out for its maiden voyage this weekend, and I was a little stressed about this very thing! But managed to find spots that were maneuverable enough.
LurkerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:28 PM   #11

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
I am new "little camper" owner but have been out and about several times now with my little Cloud and I find it wonderful for getting in and out of gas stations with. Every try to pull into a gas station with a 32' trailer? Now that can be a pain. I am loving my little guy for it's ability to get in and out without a hassle. One note however if anyone is planning a trip to Minnesota and are going to the Mall of America, plan to park in the trialer lot as our little campers are still to tall to get into the parking ramp..barely but still to tall.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:24 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...I used to be intimidated by the gas islands. Up here they want all trucks on the outside pumps...but if I can get an inside lane for my leftside fill I take it. It Is My Money...after all. Just remember to pull away far enough when leaving so the trailer doesn't "Kiss the curb" !!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I use what ever gas station is the cheapest! :-) Never have had any real problems with getting in and out - I normally try and pull as far ahead as I can. I often use Costco gas stations as they tend to make everyone enter from the same direction so you should not have an issue with getting boxed in as can happen at a place where people enter from both directions. When that happens I just sit and wait and make them be the on to back out! :-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:46 AM   #14

Trailer: Boler 1984
When gassing up at a pump and someone is waiting behind I smile, wave, and say thank-you before getting back in the tow and driving away. Usually I get a wave and a smile in return or at least a nod of the head. If you sow a smile, you may reap a few in return instead of the one finger wave.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:45 PM   #15

Name: Kim & Luanna
Trailer: 2010 17Casita SD
Washington
Registry
Maybe a bit off topic but for those of you who travel with your fridge running on propane.......be sure to stop away from the pumps, go inside your trailer and turn off the fridge before pulling up to the pump. In many states you are subject to a fine for not doing so.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:10 AM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMarie View Post
Does anyone else have a problem getting gas? I NEVER see any other trailers lined up at gas stations, only cars, and then me. Where do they go? Trailers are on the roads, up and down the highways, but I am the only one who stops for gas. My problem is finding a lane that will accomodate the car plus trailer and getting in there before another car comes in from the other side. This happened to me 3 times this weekend. Sometimes the places are narrow and hard to maneuver getting out of the station once the pumping is finished. Sometimes I get very nasty looks from the attendants because I take up so much space. Lately I am actually panicked at the thought of filling up. I guess maybe the big rigs use diesel but where are they?

CarolMarie
Hi CarolMarie,
I'm sorry to hear about the stress you experience gassing your rig. As with most things we do it will definitely become less stressful with experience. After a few more trips your eye will easily pick out the best position at any station. Don't worry about the looks others give you. You may think those looks are nasty; they're not, that's envy. Putting your rig in position to gas can require a combination patience and assertiveness. In time it will become second nature. You'll soon be able to look back as chuckle at what you went through. Enjoy!
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:09 AM   #17

New York
Thank you all for your encouraging wisdom! What had happened was I was in the Adirondack mountains and by the time I got to the bottom of the mountain road, my tank was quite low. I pulled into the first gas station in the first town (along with everyone else) and could not get into the station and the trailer was sticking out into the road so I drove through, around the bank parking lot and back into the station....wrong side of the tanks...drove out and around the bank parking lot and back into the garage and someone cut in front....drove around again and finally got gas but had to wait for a clear space to leave. I think the bank tellers were ready to call the police. Then I got on the Northway where they have gas every 30 or 40 miles. I stopped at one...no gas...stopped at the next and got on the wrong line as it was diesel..could not turn around so went another 30 miles and got so nervous I filled it only 1/4 full. The I got off the exit and went to a gas station and the car was facing the store with not much turning room, and of course, another car came to my left and I had to wait until they left, etc. etc. etc. My nerves were frayed as all I could think of was running out of gas. I think I also fill up too soon...usually at 1/2 a tank (my father's words burn in my mind "Carol, never let the tank get below 1/2.."
So I do have an aversion to gassing up and also to attempting to get air in the tires. That is another difficult maneuver at any service station. It is funny how things that never cross my mind with a car become so monumental with a trailer behind!
CarolMarie
Old 09-27-2011, 05:15 AM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Carol, it's true pulling a trailer you're going to burn through more fuel, but I think you need to preplan a bit to reduce stress. Fill up when needed, not just because the tank says 1/2 full... if you know there's a station coming up before you run out.

I can't remember the last time I used a service station to air up the tires on my tug or trailer. I carry a Black & Decker Air Station in the tug and check the tires before I leave the campground. And, of course check the tires before I leave home.

The air station I have is at least 20 years old. Used it to air up air mattresses (back in the tenting days... with the 12 volt power adapter) and all my daughter' toys that needed air. It's also handy for bicycle tires when camping. You may find it cheaper locally, but to me it's cheap enough to reduce some of the stress you're experiencing.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:02 AM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Carol,
Like Donna we carry a small compressor to top off the tires. Well worth the relatively small cost. Gas stations seem to really be out of the air business these days. Even when they have air it is often difficult to get to.

As to fill ups, we travel a lot and try to fill up the night before we camp or early in the morning when we leave. Generally we add gas every drive day.

One thing we've added to our tow vehicle and that many new tow vehicles have is a gauge with display that shows 'number of miles to empty'. It is reasonably accurate and reduces concerns of going empty.

You probably know the gallon capacity of your tow vehicle. If you pay attention to the number of gallons you add and the level of your gas gauge you'll get a good feeling of the number of miles left in your tank.

In our case when the gas warning light comes on we have 3+ gallons left, good for some 75 miles of driving while towing.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:27 AM   #20

New York
I just ordered the Black and Decker Air Station so that may solve some of my traveling issues!~! Thanks