Gel coat protection - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-08-2008, 10:28 AM   #15

Name: Vic
Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Alberta
Registry
I should have looked a little harder. Here is what I used.

http://shop2.aol.ca/shop/product--catId_10...Id_3733730.html

It is rubberized, paintable, and can be built up in layers.

Vic

Old 03-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I am trying what I already had with an addition - I have the broom sweep, but also had a large piece of rubber. I used the rubber to fill voids missed by the broom arrangement. Not sure how it will work, but will try this weekend. Photo of the work in progress, with left side completed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0838_resized2.jpg  

Old 03-20-2008, 04:59 PM   #17

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Rick,
Your idea of stopping the problem at it's source mirrors my thoughts.
I installed a set of the "Rock Solid" mud flaps. Those used on a small motor home are actually a little long for the width of our Tundra. When installed, the gap in the middle was eliminated. The ground clearance required that about 2" be trimmed off. Actually, that was not quite enough and I cut about another inch off the second set. Even that was not enough, so an additional inch should be trimmed. My initial idea was to allow road contact to grind off the excess but the plastic material is so tough that I guess I'm going to have to get out the tin snips again.
This is actually our second set. I had left the first set too long and the repeated flexing caused them to crack next to the brackets after about 2 years.

To our knowledge, no gravel or rocks have made it past the flaps. There has been an aluminum diamond-plate box (for the generator) in front of the Casita body for 3 years, and there is no sign of any contact by gravel.

Kurt & Ann K.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:38 PM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Rick,
Your idea of stopping the problem at it's source mirrors my thoughts.
I installed a set of the "Rock Solid" mud flaps. Those used on a small motor home are actually a little long for the width of our Tundra. When installed, the gap in the middle was eliminated. The ground clearance required that about 2" be trimmed off. Actually, that was not quite enough and I cut about another inch off the second set. Even that was not enough, so an additional inch should be trimmed. My initial idea was to allow road contact to grind off the excess but the plastic material is so tough that I guess I'm going to have to get out the tin snips again.
This is actually our second set. I had left the first set too long and the repeated flexing caused them to crack next to the brackets after about 2 years.

To our knowledge, no gravel or rocks have made it past the flaps. There has been an aluminum diamond-plate box (for the generator) in front of the Casita body for 3 years, and there is no sign of any contact by gravel.

Kurt & Ann K.
Great to hear, we are off tomorrow for 2 days and will have a chance to try out. I will advise on my return

Rick
Old 03-20-2008, 11:59 PM   #19

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Rick,
Enjoy the Easter week-end!

Kurt & Ann K.