Gelcoat cracks in new Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16'
Wisconsin
Gelcoat cracks in new Scamp

I have some fine cracks in my gelcoat. Hit a wild turkey as it took off, missed windshield, but got the Scamp.

I was about to repair the fine cracks on my Scamp having purchased a tube and watched a video. I looked more closely and saw that extending from the main crack were hair thin cracks all the way to the area marked out by the pieces of tape. Some wrap around the rivet on the right down to the tape. Also around the rivet by the front window and over to the left some. These are very thin, maybe of no consequence? and these are multiple, not just one thin one.

1 Should I concern myself only with the main one or two that protrude?

2 I can feel with a finger some them, like thin creases in wrinkled paper. Should I be concerned about them?

David
Attached Thumbnails
image-871088777.jpg   image-4048151908.jpg  

Dsironi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If it were my trailer and as new as yours I would be talking to my insurance company about having it repaired completely/correctly.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #3

Trailer: Home Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
If it were my trailer and as new as yours I would be talking to my insurance company about having it repaired completely/correctly.

I agree here, or leave it alone and live with it...if it's not leaking now, it likely won't later......Dave
D White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I agree with Carol I would call the insurance company and if I was as close to Scamp as you are I would also contact them for their opinion and repair options. I have seen one older 5er that was that had a soft nose it looked fairly normal but over 60 mph part of the nose would cave in. It appeared to have been hit by something big and soft. No tears or rips just a bunch of spider cracks.
I also hit a turkey with my F-250 it took out the windshield and it bent the cab roof up and back. A turkey packs a big punch.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yep, one of the reasons some of us carry insurance on our trailers is for circumstances like this. I'd contact Scamp FIRST and then decide if it's worth the insurance hassles YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16'
Wisconsin
Da! Why didn't I think of insurance. Thanks. Will contact USAA and have sent a note to Scamp.
Dsironi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #7

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
You're better off calling scamp, in my experience they don't respond to email in a timely fashion
glennco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #8

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
If you where towing it I be leave USAA will cover it!
Old 09-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
In my part of Wisconsin there are no auto body shops that do fiberglass repair . I ended up at a marine shop that repairs fiberglass boats . Boaters hit bottom or logs all the time and damage the boat's hull
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote