Gelcoat Rejuvinator Applications...any good? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-04-2006, 03:14 PM   #15

Trailer: 1300 Trillium
Hi Donna,
If you can imagine dull and chalky for the before, I'll try and get a good after photo. The first instruction in the vertglas manual is: take before pictures, you'll be glad you did. (I am not kidding). However the instructions went on to say scrub with product number one, wash with product number two, dry thoroughly, and then apply 6 to 8 (!) coats of product number3. Apply with applicator provided. Don't use anything else! (The applicator is 4 inches wide and the handle fell off after five minutes) Now I managed to do this in a day, and the results are worth it. But I did say the heck with before photos. Now I wish I had them.

Old 04-04-2006, 03:34 PM   #16

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
MaggieO,
You did 6 to 8 coats on one day?
I gotta hand it to you. I would be dead.

Old 04-04-2006, 03:58 PM   #17

I was only mostly dead. It was a long day, and I had help with the drying. Also it is not like wax. It is kind of like dragging a wet sponge over the surface. It takes 2 minutes to dry and you can recoat it. Probably the only mistake is recoating before it's dry. Pretty forgiving stuff and easy to use, not stinky,or chemically. It looks terrible until you get to the 5th coat or so, and once I got that far I was obsessed with getting rid of streaks. You can't let it get rained on for 24 hours. It should be over 55F. We had one nice day with rain coming the next morning. So finish or drag it on forever. We had to put it back itn the carport to cure but here's as good a photo as I could get:

Click image for larger version

Name:	trillshine.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	2028
Old 04-04-2006, 06:09 PM   #18

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
Looks really great!
Old 04-04-2006, 06:36 PM   #19

Thank you. I love it .
Old 04-04-2006, 07:44 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
OK, hope this isn't too dumb of a question. If the trailer has been painted (don't know what type of paint was used) would this product be of any use?

Sharon
Old 04-04-2006, 07:55 PM   #21

I don't know. The manual says for use on fiberglass, stainless steel, aluminum, metal flake, brass, and plastic, but most impressive on gel coat that has lost its luster due to oxidation. It brought the shine back to the painted trillium logo on the rock guard, tho'.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:43 PM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
FYI...

My Houseboat friends love “SharkHide”. It works very well on Fiberglass, Aluminum, Copper, Brass, & Steel.

Here is their website:
<blockquote> http://www.sharkhidemarinesales.com/ </blockquote>
Check out the video.

Old 04-13-2006, 09:42 PM   #23

Trailer: 78 Scamp 13 ft
WOW you guys here are fantastic! A LOT of help in answering all my questions I suddenly have!!! I live here in the middle of 10,000 lakes- there is a boat store in every town! I have to go check out these products.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:25 AM   #24

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
WOW you guys here are fantastic! A LOT of help in answering all my questions I suddenly have!!! I live here in the middle of 10,000 lakes- there is a boat store in every town! I have to go check out these products.
I suggest you try the Penetrol first as the stuff is about $10/quart. I treated a small spot on my '87 fiberglass boat (the Scamp gelcoat looks fine with a waxing) and the difference in the treated spot and untreated is amazing! I havn't had time to do the whole boat as yet but it hasn't ever been waxed so it's going to be a real challenge for the stuff. I did do the hood of my elderly pickup where it was sun faded almost to white (orig. dark metallic green) and it did a beautiful job on the finish (paint is basically a plastic). I picked up the Penetrol at a True Value Hardware store and I think it can be found at Home Depot. For $10 I would give it a try.