General Trillium questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500
Hello all - I just bought a 1977 Trillium 4500 and I'm anxious to get working on it. Trouble is, it's a few hundred miles away in my in-laws' garage, with nobody home! Sooo, I'm wondering if anybody has answers to some simple questions to get me going:

1. Dimensions - what are the exterior measurements of the 4500 series, esp. the height?
2. What is the approximate square footage of the floor, if I want to start looking at flooring options?
3. What are the dimensions of the counter top, all the way from the sofa (cooktop side) to the back end?
4. What are the dimensions of the sink and the stock Brown Industries 3-burner cooktop?
5. What is the largest fridge I can put in that lower cabinet, assuming I sacrifice the drawer? Is that a good idea?
6. I've been told by my brother-in-law (who actually did the buying and towing back to it's current location) I'll need an adapter for the light harness - any ideas on what it looks like and where to pick one up?
Jason Rutten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 79 Trillium 4500
Registry
In my very humble opinion, you should wait until you have the trailer in hand before you lift a finger. There are several permutations within each year and you want to make sure you understand YOUR unit. Also, I have a '79 4500 and my unit differs from the owner's manual that accompanied the unit.
Once you have the unit and can measure everything yourself, you will find ample assistance from Trillium owners here...
Again, just one opinion.
Laurie
Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Quote:
Hello all - I just bought a 1977 Trillium 4500 and I'm anxious to get working on it. Trouble is, it's a few hundred miles away in my in-laws' garage, with nobody home! Sooo, I'm wondering if anybody has answers to some simple questions to get me going:

1. Dimensions - what are the exterior measurements of the 4500 series, esp. the height?
2. What is the approximate square footage of the floor, if I want to start looking at flooring options?
3. What are the dimensions of the counter top, all the way from the sofa (cooktop side) to the back end?
4. What are the dimensions of the sink and the stock Brown Industries 3-burner cooktop?
5. What is the largest fridge I can put in that lower cabinet, assuming I sacrifice the drawer? Is that a good idea?
6. I've been told by my brother-in-law (who actually did the buying and towing back to it's current location) I'll need an adapter for the light harness - any ideas on what it looks like and where to pick one up?
Hi there Jason:; Here are some basic specs you mentioned/ requested, taken from the Trillium rv site.
They are being re-assembled NEW very soon.
The weight is most likely a little heavier than yours, as the New ones will be equipped with additional options.

But the exterior dimensions are to be Exactly the same as the original built ones.

Picture is from the 1978 Trillium 4500 brochure.

Good luck with it, I am sure you will really enjoy it, I had one for a few years and wished I had kept it. They tow wonderfully, and have great headroom for a Fiber Egg.

Cheers, Jake.

[b]4500 Basic Specs (Projected)

Length - 16' (Ball to Bumper)

Width - 78"

Weight - Approx. 1650 pounds

Height - Add 2" for toilet model only

Rear Bed: 52" x 77" And, an

Optional fixed rear bed

Front Bunks: 30" x 77" (Upper & Lower)
Attached Thumbnails
Trillium_4500.jpg  
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy

I concur with Laurie. Fiberglass trailers are essentially hand built and as such ARE NOT STANDARDIZED in size, especially if you want to start making things for them. Remember, "A wise man MEASURES TWICE before cutting once." In your case you can't measure at all. I can understand and sympathize with your enthusiasm to get things going, but you will just be throwing money and time away if you start building anything now.
That being said, there is no reason you can't start building universal type things, like wheel blocks, jack pads, or assemble a cleaning/polishing kit for when the weather gets warmer, etc. Pickup a little electric heater:
Click image for larger version

Name:	hf_0003.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	25799
[

On second thought, looking at the weather for Minnesota, stay home, read fiberglassrv.com and dream.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
While I wouldn't want to be building anything super-customized without having the trailer to hand, I think the general measurements of these things could be helpful for less exacting tasks or planning. After all, the trailer bodies and the inside furniture units were made from molds, so they should be reasonably similar (on the original 4500s).

The height I could see varying more, because axles sag and/or are replaced with new ones.

I don't have a 4500 or I would run out and measure it for you

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy

While you are probably correct, Raya, there is no way of knowing what previous owners have done to his rig. After all, egg owners are famous (notorious?) for customizing their rigs...and they have had 32 years to do so.

And then there are possible running production changes made by the manufacturer. I doubt if exact records were kept of modifications to molds, plans, etc. Even if they were, where are they now?

Heck, we had a hard enough time finding out the particulars on our brand new Trilliium!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium