Generator exhaust output - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2006, 08:00 AM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
I realize the last thread was about buying a generator. This question comes after the purchase. We bought a ProForce 3125 to run our AC and other accessories in our Burro. I let it run for about 10 minutes yesterday in preparation for our trip out to the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation this weekend. I noticed the exhaust seemed to be a pretty consistent white/light gray smoke, much like an older lawn mower. Is this what I should expect? Do the other campers complain about this exhaust? Are there any add-ons to the muffler that would help to limit the smoke? Thanks!

Kevin
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:47 AM   #2

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
I realize the last thread was about buying a generator. This question comes after the purchase. We bought a ProForce 3125 to run our AC and other accessories in our Burro. I let it run for about 10 minutes yesterday in preparation for our trip out to the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation this weekend. I noticed the exhaust seemed to be a pretty consistent white/light gray smoke, much like an older lawn mower. Is this what I should expect? Do the other campers complain about this exhaust? Are there any add-ons to the muffler that would help to limit the smoke? Thanks!

Kevin
Is this what I should expect? No.

Do the other campers complain about this exhaust? Maybe some really nice ones wouldn't.

Are there any add-ons to the muffler that would help to limit the smoke? No.

Question -- What fuel are you burning? It's not an oil - gasoline mix meant for 2 cycle engines, such as a weed eater or chain saw, is it?
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:54 AM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Quote:
Is this what I should expect? No.

Do the other campers complain about this exhaust? Maybe some really nice ones wouldn't.

Are there any add-ons to the muffler that would help to limit the smoke? No.

Question -- What fuel are you burning? It's not an oil - gasoline mix meant for 2 cycle engines, such as a weed eater or chain saw, is it?

I'm using straight gasoline as fuel. The oil is separate. However, I originally overfilled the oil compartment and had to drain out the extra (I didn't fill it on the level, I tipped it back and put too much in.) Could it still be burning off the extra oil? Should I run it again tonight for a while to clean up the smoking? (I'm replying on my wife's account right now.)
Old 07-19-2006, 02:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
It`s possible that the generator is a two/stroke cycle and uses mixed fuel......there are some small cheap off shore ones that do....or like mentioned earlier, it could be burning off excess crankcase oil.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:05 PM   #5

Trailer: Helite
Extra oil is not a good thing. Could cause harm in the long run. I would drain it down to the required level then run it until it stops smoking. My lawn mower smokes after I sharpen the blade because I put it on it.s side. It smokes for a few minutes then it is OK.

Just make sure the unit states 4 cycle.
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
I'm using straight gasoline as fuel. The oil is separate. However, I originally overfilled the oil compartment and had to drain out the extra (I didn't fill it on the level, I tipped it back and put too much in.) Could it still be burning off the extra oil? Should I run it again tonight for a while to clean up the smoking? (I'm replying on my wife's account right now.)
Looks like you identified the problem.

Since you drained out the extra oil so that the oil level is at the full mark I wouldn't expect any damage has occurred. I would just run it some until the smoking clears up. About the only problem that might develop would be soot build-up of the spark plug. That is easily cleaned.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:06 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Quote:
Looks like you identified the problem.

Since you drained out the extra oil so that the oil level is at the full mark I wouldn't expect any damage has occurred. I would just run it some until the smoking clears up. About the only problem that might develop would be soot build-up of the spark plug. That is easily cleaned.
Thanks. It ran much more cleanly tonight, so I'm sure it was the extra oil causing the problem. I'll pull the sparkplug tomorrow and clean it up, too. We're leaving for South Dakota Thursday afternoon, so I'll do it at noon and then load it up.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Must of missed something or forgot....are Cindy and Kevin talking about the same genset? Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:42 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Kevin logged in on his wife's account. Same genset.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:58 AM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Yes, it is the same genset (This is Cindy). He was using my laptop to reply.

And he digs money out of my wallet too when I am not looking.

Cindy
Old 07-22-2006, 09:30 PM   #11

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

Can I have some money out of your wallet also?
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:56 AM   #12

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry

Cindy is passing out money!!!

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator