Get rid of old wax - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-31-2016, 11:34 AM   #1

Name: Bill and Kate
Trailer: Trillium - looking to buy
Washington
Get rid of old wax

We've owned our 1977 Trillium for 3 years now. As recommended we used Zep floor wax the past two years to get a great gloss on the surface. This year though, no matter what we try, we notice there is still a residue of gray streaks. My husband believes it is the gelcoat wearing out. I tell him it's the wax residue. How do we get our old gal looking shiny once again?
Attached Thumbnails
Trillium wax residue.jpg  

Old 07-31-2016, 12:22 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Zep makes a liquid wax stripper that will take the old wax off. Use a spray bottle and spray it on a wet trailer full strength to let it soak and cut thru the old wax. Do this on a cloudy day, or in a light rain. On a sunny day things dry too fast. A good scrub pad and warm water help too.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:10 PM   #3

Washington
Do not use zep floor wax for your rv

I just spoke with Zep customer service regarding how to remove the gray wax residue from our RV. She said it is not intended to be used on an RV and that using the commercial stripper could take the finish off. Grrrrrrr. The label reads that Zep is intended for indoor use only. Outdoors it reacts with the sun and creates a permanent gray streaky finish that I still am trying to figure out how to remove. Please please spread the word and DO NOT advocate using this product to keep your little fiberglass beauty shiny.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #4

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by billandkate View Post
I just spoke with Zep customer service regarding how to remove the gray wax residue from our RV. She said it is not intended to be used on an RV and that using the commercial stripper could take the finish off. Grrrrrrr. The label reads that Zep is intended for indoor use only. Outdoors it reacts with the sun and creates a permanent gray streaky finish that I still am trying to figure out how to remove. Please please spread the word and DO NOT advocate using this product to keep your little fiberglass beauty shiny.
Zep gave you the CYA routine for their stripper product. The marine store will sell you an acrylic wax remover for use on fiberglass and won't do the CYA action on you.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #5

Washington
Quote:
Lots of this forums members use Zep and are quite pleased with the results. I am one of them.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:40 PM   #6

Washington
Jack, what do you use to remove the wax? It is interesting how we receive a spectrum of replies from don't ever use Zep to we love it.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:45 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Striped my trailer easily twice in the last 3 years and never had any streaks or residue that I could not easily remove. Of course they would tell you it is not intended for exterior RV wax because it is not intended for exterior RV waxing and why would they want o be liable for it. As for me until I see evidence of some kind of reaction with the fiberglass which I don't think is possible I'll continue to apply Zep with great results.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:05 PM   #8

Washington
Quote:
Jack, what do you use to remove the wax? It is interesting how we receive a spectrum of replies from don't ever use Zep to we love it.
See post #2
Old 08-01-2016, 05:26 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Hi Bill, use the Zep stripper full strength, cutting it to what Zep calls for will take 3 or 4 go arounds at least. I used a spray bottle and one of those green/blue rough/soft sided kitchen sponges, I used the rough side. Worked areas about 3x3'. Sprayed it on, waited about ten seconds and hit it with the sponge and rinsed. Took about an hour to strip my SD17. Only had a couple spots I had to go over again. BTW, my egg sits outside in the SoCal desert and the Zep shine lasted two years very well before I decided to strip and rewax to stay a head of it. It's 107* today, big cool down going, it has been running 115-117 a few days ago . I understand your concern from all the threads, I read them also. So from my experience, if it can hold up to the extremes I have here, I'm staying with Zep. YMMV
Old 08-01-2016, 05:59 PM   #10

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Glad to see this post as I'm needing to do the same thing to my Scamp. I've used Red Maxx twice in the past and, since Red Maxx has been discontinued, I ordered Zep Floor Wax Stripper to do the job. Haven't got around to it yet. I'm glad to hear how others do the removal process.
Thanks all for sharing your knowledge.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:50 PM   #11

Name: Randy
Trailer: (3)Trillium 4500,(4)Trillium 1300
Ardmore, Alabama
Quote:
We've owned our 1977 Trillium for 3 years now. As recommended we used Zep floor wax the past two years to get a great gloss on the surface. This year though, no matter what we try, we notice there is still a residue of gray streaks. My husband believes it is the gelcoat wearing out. I tell him it's the wax residue. How do we get our old gal looking shiny once again?
I started the thread "Check this out Not Poliglow...But time will tell" over 6 years ago.. I posted the results of the two on page 54 here..

Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell..

I wanted to find out for myself the difference in the
poliglow which sells for nearly $90 for a quart and "IS" intended for exterior use on fiberglass things such as boats, and I found that the Red Max (Zep now days) smelled the same, looked the same, and shined the same and was around $19.00 for a whole gallon, so I used Red Max on one Trillium and poliglow on a different one to see the results for my self and the Zep out lasted the Poliglow hands down, by at least 2 1/2 years to be exact..
Now I've heard all the complaints on here about it peeling as well as the positive, but to me it is hands down the best way to go.. I put it on mine and don't have to do nothing except wash it once in a while for 3 to 5 years then strip and repeat.. Waxing is at least needed 3 to 5 times a year and believe me that is a job "WAX ON.. WAX OFF" all that rubbing.. The Zep you can apply in no more than a hour and your done.. Stripping takes about the same maybe a little longer but that's it and there's no harm done to the fiberglass..
One thing I've found out is not to use a carwash to wash your camper if you have Zep on it unless you just use the plain water, never use the tire cleaner setting, the engine cleaner setting or the soap setting or you could cause it to start peeling..
That's my opinion on the matter and I know there's a lot of people out there who loves the Zep and there's a lot of people out there determine to wax their camper and I say to each his own.. I love this forum and all who post their idea's and experience's...