Getting ready for winter - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-16-2002, 05:15 PM   #15
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
longer storeage

I don't use the rear jacks to do any of the “jacking”; just supporting.

When I need to do a longer storage (say two months), I put rail road tie blocks under the frame near the rear jacks. Then crank up the front as usual and place more blocks under the frame at the shower.

I hope this helps.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 07:28 PM   #16

That makes perfect since to me. I do remember that unknown person who bent his jacks was jacking with them. :yep

Old 10-16-2002, 09:10 PM   #17
Bending Jacks

I discovered another way to bend jacks earlier this summer when I was parked with the rear of my Scamp past the parkinglot style concrete stop in the campsite and forgot to raise the jacks before pulling out -- Very noisy.

Then I discovered you can almost get them bent back by carefully backing into same block.

Still had to remove them and make adjustments with a BFH to get them working right again -- Glad they were bolt-ons and not weld-ons.

Pete and annoyed Rats who were awakened by all the scraping and hammering noise
Old 10-17-2002, 06:05 AM   #18

"railroad tie blocks under the frame"

Ok, this relates to my original question. I want to block up the frame, not the axle, is that right? And is this done the same way I would level the trailer out...lower the tongue to block up the back and then raise the tongue to block up the front. Or do I need to use my hydraulic jack to raise parts of the frame in order to get the blocks underneath? And do I need to raise it high enough to get the tires off the ground? Or just enough to relieve some weight off the axle?
Old 10-17-2002, 06:58 AM   #19
Only Scamp

Hi Jean ... only Scamp recommends taking the weight off the torsion bar suspension ... and I've only heard of a few folks actually doing it.

And Scamp says the problem only occurs when the trailer sits idle for long periods of time ... so is there any way you could once a month ... or so ... just hook up the Scamp and take it for a ride? Exercise the suspension.

Part of the composition of rubber releases chemicals when rubber is used like rubber is supposed to be used ... i.e. squeezed and bounced.

I know this is good for tires ... although today's tires are less prone to developing flat spots than older tires. But tires that just sit are more prone to the effects of weathering ... and don't last as long as tires that are used. Not using tires actually shortens their lifespans.

If you do jack up tire to take the weight off the suspension, I'd block it up as close to the axle as position, say on each side of the axle, to avoid any problem with bending the frame (which can happen with any trailer, not just our beloved little fiberglass wonders).

We love to winter camp, so our trailer never sits still for more than 3 or 4 weeks. Even then, I'm apt to go hook it up and pretend I'm leaving town. Tow it out to the local park, play ball with my dog.

I sincerely believe exercise is just as good for the suspension (not to mention good for my wife, dog and I) as blocking.