Go Slow When Falling in Love with Cute Trailers! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-15-2007, 08:50 AM   #15

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
Penney and Mike:

Roy may be onto something here, possibly depending on whether your Burro is insulated or not. The writeup on Concrobium allows for a fogging application, which should be doable if you take off the center strip (yours may be wider than mine), drill some holes in the inner shell for access and fog through them. If you have insulation this may or may not be doable. In snaking electrician's fish tape through in many locations I have found that the insulation pretty much fills the cavities completely. In your favor may be the location of the original leak which may have localized the mold, one hopes.

An improvement may be possible by opening every cabinet door possible and sealing up the whole trailer and fogging the interior as a unit, somewhat like they do for unpleasant little critters. Maybe a couple of little fans for circulation in strategic places. Who knows, it may make a difference. In your circumstances I would be tempted to give it a try. Mold is not without health risks.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:28 AM   #16

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Thank you Roy and Per for the suggestions. Our walls are insulated. The odor is strongest under the sink, in the closet and under the back seating area. I thought of pulling off visible insulation and seeing if that helps but pulled some off the wheel well and it didn't have an odor, I suspect it drifts into those areas from the walls. The leak was around the top vent and cupboards were wet, so the wall behind the sink is likely the worse, we could try to spray up there from under the sink, or maybe drill (yikes! ) some small holes in the wall. Want to go slow, I am sensitive to chemicals. (I read manufactures claims to low toxicity but am cautious). Fogging is a possibility.Can't find where to buy Concrobium, no dealers listed within 100 miles on web site! Will try Home Depot. Once we get it will certainly share our experiments. Thanks again, we have new hope for our odiferous little egg!

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:03 PM   #17

Trailer: Casita
Penney and Mike:
I have had a similar experience with a fiberglass houseboat. The previous owner had aired out the boat prior to my two visits while I was deciding to buy. After purchasing the houseboat and leaving it locked up for a couple of weeks, I was greeted by a mildew smell that gave me a sinus headache. I replaced the foam in the cushions like you did but could not get the smell out of the carpet. After getting over a bad case of buyers remorse, I started searching the internet for mildew killers. I found the answer at West Marine. Starbrite mildew control bags. Here is a link

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/store...p;classNum=null

I saw results in about 2 weeks. After about a year, the smell was completely gone. By the way, I did fix the leak around the ac that caused the problem.

Good Luck!

Don
Old 08-17-2007, 09:55 PM   #18

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Roy may be onto something here
Mold is not without health risks.
Thank you Per,

For anyone wanting to know what a moldy trailer looks like and what can be done with it. Here is a link to what we have been able to do to ours so far. Including details as to how we've dealt with it. Over a year has passed and we have not seen a return of the mold.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:31 PM   #19

Registry
Wow! What a job! I do not think our trailer ever had that much mold, though I do not know what is behind some of the double walls. We don't see any mold in the the areas that are visable, like under sink, storage areas and closet. I think that when we took out the old press board doors, cushions, etc. we got rid of a lot and it has been kept very dry for the past 10 years so whatever is still causing the odor when it is closed up and not in use must be confined somewhere.

Good pictures (sad pictures) to show what can happen to a trailer, and probably happens to too many.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:56 PM   #20

Trailer: Burro
Quote:
Wow! What a job! I do not think our trailer ever had that much mold, though I do not know what is behind some of the double walls. We don't see any mold in the the areas that are visable, like under sink, storage areas and closet. I think that when we took out the old press board doors, cushions, etc. we got rid of a lot and it has been kept very dry for the past 10 years so whatever is still causing the odor when it is closed up and not in use must be confined somewhere.

Good pictures (sad pictures) to show what can happen to a trailer, and probably happens to too many.
OK, I'm curious. You have a 13" Burro right? You said your leak was from the top vent? My burro has only one layer in that area, which is covered by rat-fur. How did the water then leak thru the diferent layers? I am in the process of completely redoing my burro and am worried that I might be overlooking a potential disaster.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:21 AM   #21

Registry
The hole for the skylight is off center toward the kitchen side of the trailer. The inner layer of fiberglass starts at the low side of the vent, which is on the curve. The leak occured at that point, where the inner layer begins, a sort of seam. The result was water running down the curve into the cupboards. Does that all make sense? When I removed the old vent I could see the double layers.

Mike

Old 08-19-2007, 10:50 PM   #22

Trailer: Burro
Quote:
The hole for the skylight is off center toward the kitchen side of the trailer. The inner layer of fiberglass starts at the low side of the vent, which is on the curve. The leak occured at that point, where the inner layer begins, a sort of seam. The result was water running down the curve into the cupboards. Does that all make sense? When I removed the old vent I could see the double layers.

Mike
Yep. I took mine off today (not fun since the previous owner decided to go overboard with silicone. . I'm just glad I read your horror story so it made me more weary of leaks.