Gorilla Tape to hold Reflectix to outside? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2015, 12:26 PM   #21

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
My past time last winter was watching the deer eat the tops of all our plants & shrubs. We had hard snow cover most of winter and they were very aggressive, can`t say that i blame them, they had to eat. I wonder what the deer would do to a couple hay stacks. Good Luck, Carl

Not a farm boy, huh? That's why you use straw, not hay. Animals don't eat straw, it's used for bedding. Hay is food.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:35 PM   #22

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I think he plans to live in it.
Looks like picture perfect misery to me.
Looks like Glenn is right.. this thread will provide more background and help everyone better understand what Bill (OP) is trying to accomplish and why. In fact, this thread seems to be a continuation of that discussion.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:39 PM   #23

Name: Pete
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Registry
I used blue painters tape on my house vinyl siding as a temporary fix a couple of years ago. Procrastination showed that the tape lasted in the weather longer than anyone could expect. Maybe I will finish the project next year..
pete_britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:40 PM   #24

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
My past time last winter was watching the deer eat the tops of all our plants & shrubs. We had hard snow cover most of winter and they were very aggressive, can`t say that i blame them, they had to eat. I wonder what the deer would do to a couple hay stacks. Good Luck, Carl
Use it around the foundation and they would probably eat you out of house and home...
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:01 PM   #25
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hay bales are getting harder to find here in Vermont as many farmers have switched to large round bales. Not sure what the situation is in NJ. Over the years I have seen many use hay against a foundation for insulation. Two issues come up. First, rodents love to make homes in hay bales. Second, all it takes is one cigarrete butt and you have a disaster. I would suggest finding a carpenter/ handy man and have them make a proper skirting using ridged foam, blue board, pink board. At R5 per inch it will work much better than reflectix. Also, instead of a heater you might consider electric heat tape around your plumbing. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:52 PM   #26

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Are you going to try to winter over in New Jersey in your Casita? I'm not sure how well Casitas are insulated inside the cubbies and under the sink, but you may need to provide more freeze protection for your water lines in those areas as well. I think your heater might be running a lot under camper. I'd be tempted to use a thicker foam board behind that reflectix. Will reflectix hold up to the elements or will the plastics in it break down?
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:08 PM   #27

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
I don't think I can use hay-bales where I am at, my impression is they don't want to advertise that there are people camping through the entire winter.

I built a cover for the valves, and made another for the hose. Pictured below is the first cover:

Before:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1690a.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	90735

After:

Name:	IMG_1692a.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	90736

I also found some "no residue" tape. I bought some, but am afraid to use it on the Casita:

Name:	71ldQF5qysL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	90737

I got an indoor/outdoor thermostat, the outdoor sensor is under my Casita. Without a space heater down there, it says it is 41 degrees under the skirted Casita, yet it is 26 degrees outside. Inside it is 70 degrees. Is ambient heat from inside the Casita able to warm the air beneath it? That would be cool, if so. Maybe I wont have to use a heater beneath it, if the skirting is good enough.

I got one similar to this:

Name:	81R0PXIUJlL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	90738

I think it is too late to use 2x4s to anchor the Reflectix, I cut it so it just touches the ground. I don't think it is going to blow around though, at least it hasn't yet.
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:21 AM   #28

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I might have considered doing some PVC pipe support behind the Reflectix. I would "google" for every article on the web regarding full-timing in the winter. I would be lining my windows and roof vent with the Reflectix also. Have a broom to keep the snow load off the roof.

We did winter in NC in an entry level TT, 24' but that is the coldest we have done. Have an extra water hose that you keep inside. Also, have a hair dryer for defrosting things. Not sure about how your door is but with freezing rain, the door can freeze shut.

Research all that you can as there is a wealth of info out there. Be prepared for power failure also.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #29

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
I would tape it to the inside of the shell that hangs below the floor and let it go all the way to the ground and fold it inwards and lay some bricks on the folded edge. Use super heavy duty tape to hold it to the shell since noone will see it when you peel it off in the spring since it is on the inside surface and not visible, unless you are laying under the trailer.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote