Gray Tank Drain - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2003, 09:41 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Gray Tank Drain

:wave
I am sure this topic has been covered, but don't find it in the search engine.
Went to drain the antifreeze in preparation for the Rally trip. The problem is the black tank drains, but the gray tank seems to be drain except the shower. The sink drains fine. Water will not drain from the shower. Anyone have simple ideas that I could try. I know nothing about the plumbing and would appreciate any help to start me in the right direction. The Casita is a 2002 17' LD. It says in the instructions to look under the front of the TT and pull the lever but I find nothing there. Both pulls are on the city water connection side. Would appreciate any help.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 10:13 PM   #2

there's this thread, but I think it's for the ones that don't have a grey tank - http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/read.php?TID=2282

then - I give up, someone was talking about how or where that lever is, and I can't find it. aaarrrgggg. I think there was a pump involved. maybe you should call Casita.

Old 06-06-2003, 10:29 PM   #3

Shower Drain

Gerald,

There is a valve under the shower on the outside. Get down on your knees and you will see it. A lot of people have added a short extension to the handle.

Old 06-06-2003, 10:33 PM   #4

shower valve

The valve is directly under the shower at the front of the trailer. If you get down behind the propane tanks you should see the handle. It looks just like the gray drain valve on the street side of the trailer. Search on "Glen G", he has posted some pictures, might be helpful in locating the valve.

Old 06-07-2003, 08:01 AM   #5

Gray Tank Valve

:o

Thanks John G.
I found it, I found it! Looked yesterday and argured with my hubby about it. Knew Casita told us there was one to pull but the trailer orientation was very quick and not totally remembered.
Again, thanks a million. Now we are set to go camping. Never had used the shower before but plan to this time.
Ruth

Old 06-07-2003, 06:33 PM   #6

Hello people,

I have a 1987 16' and I am (more my wife is!) wondering about the little bit of water that was in the shower drain. I noticed when I drove it home after I bought it and also took it for a short drive, the shower pan was soaked. I am sure the toilet was not being used. No leaks around the seams or knobs loose, etc.

I do know where that lever is to release the large outlet under the toilet. I dare not do that while it is parked out in front of my house (I would be the scorn of the neighborhood!).

There is a little round cup under the shower drain that has a 2 and a half- 3 foot hose that leads to the drivers side of the trailer with a little screw cap. I unscrewed it and a bit of water came out. I reached under and pulled that hose off the cup and maybe 4- 6 ounces came out.

My question is this. Does the shower drain water go into the gray tank as well and that little bit that I found normal? My wife would love to put a mat or rug in there, but fears that it will get drenched with water while the trailer is moving (no problem while parked). Should I refrain from doing that unless the gray water tank is dry?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-07-2003, 07:36 PM   #7

Shower Drain

Dave,

I don't think that your shower is connected to the gray water tank. Someone has connected a hose to drain in a additional container that can then be dumped. The gray tank is fast to fill up when dry camping and this helps conserve the volume. All you have to do is drain the hose to resolve your problem. And purchase a container to dump the shower into when setup. There are several types, some of them have wheels so you can pull them to the dump station.

Seems like I remember someone talking about doing this to their trailer, to extend the amount of time that they could dry camp without pulling the trailer to the dump station.

Old 06-07-2003, 08:32 PM   #8

Ron-

Once again, thanks for the info! I will check out getting a wheeled container for this purpose.

Old 06-07-2003, 08:36 PM   #9

Gray tank

Although there are a few plumbing differences between your '87 and my '89 they are similar in some ways.

Unless it has been retrofitted you don't have a grey water tank. You have your black tank for the toilet, but your lav, shower, and kitchen sink are plumbed differently. Mine is plumbed where they meet then exit out of the street side. When moving, it is capped off. When camping, the cap comes off and I attach my grey water hose which is fed into my portable gray water tank.

A couple of things could have happend, but the most likely is that there was water in the line. Either from the lav, sink, or shower. With the cap on, it was trapped in the lines, so when you drove down the road, it was sloshed out of the lowest point...the shower floor. Once the system is drained, then it won't happen any more.

There could have been several reasons (all easily rectified), but the cause was the water in the line and, with the cap on, it sloshed up into the shower floor instead of out the side.

Old 06-08-2003, 06:50 AM   #10

Hi Suz,

Thanks for the answer! You are correct about the similarites with the two models. I do see where the water can settle in a low spot due to the hose layout and well as having even a little excess in the drain. I think I took care of that by pulling the hose off that cup underneath.

The sinks hose and cap are on the other side of the trailer and have the same setup as the shower. Looks like I will stock up on a few 5 gallon buckets! :)

Suz and Ron, thanks for the answers and the patience!