Graywater tanks. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2002, 09:14 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Graywater tanks.

Suz and anyone else who has a opinion or not.
This shower drain you have. Is carring a seperate gray water tank a problem? I'm going to add a bath to my Surfside and am thinking of doing the shower drain this very way, but still in the thinking stage. Found a shower pan with toilet black water tank included. a little small but workable. I just have to deside on the graywater. Would you leave it that way if you had a choice? ( I need a new smily face here. one with a Question mark or puzzlement face.)

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 09:37 AM   #2

Most pop-up tent campers

Jan, I see a lot of pop-up tent campers hooked via a hose to a 5 gallon plastic paint bucket.

It would be easy ... not to mention more santitary to carry and dump... to hook up to one of these wheeled blue tote tanks you seeing the camping world catalog.

While we have tanks, I carry a 15 gallon blue tote tank to "service" the tanks during long stays. Hook up to grey or black, pull the dump valve and wheel the contents to the dump station.

If you had a double hose connection, piercing the side of your trailer, it would simple, clean to hook up a short piece of garden hose to the exterior hose connection and onto the threaded blue tote tank inlet.

Old 10-02-2002, 11:36 AM   #3

Blue tank

Jan, We had a Casita like Suz's awhile back. We used a 15 gallon blue tank for our gray water; the drain pipe was fitted with what looked like a garden spigot (sans handle; it was always "open''). We had about a 12 inch piece of ''garden hose'' that had the female connections on each end; this connected the gray water tank to the gray water drain. It was easy, and one of the cool things about it was you could easily tell when your tank was getting full (by visual inspection!) I'd recommend it rather than trying to install a shower with a small tank in its floor.

At first I thought it was a bit odd to have the gray water tank sitting out under the trailer, but found that even the big rigs do it sometimes (when on extended stays). And hey, it works, so who cares?

FWIW, I think this little smiley looks kind of perplexed. :u

Cheers, Mary Foster

Old 10-02-2002, 12:06 PM   #4

Mary, I do something similar on my Scamp 13, but instead of a 5gal bucket or a BlueBoy, I use a one gallon laundry detergent jug with pour spout removed and a hose-sized hole cut in the cap for the short piece of garden hose.

Very easy to grab and take to toilet and pour down; rides on tongue, bungeed down, when not in use. Close fit between hose and hole keeps the tiny black flies from accumulating.

I have heard that Florida State Parks now require built-in holding tanks even for gray water; my guess (only that, a guess) is because of the insect problem from open buckets. Not sure at all what that means to tent campers!?!

Cost is very low; they are available in your local laundromat's trash can in a variety of colors, but the experienced scrounger will chose one with press-in pour spout for easy removal. Guy Alert -- Get a second one to use as a nite-time Yellow Water Tank -- Sorry ladies...

Pete and RatLadies

PS Guys -- DON'T cut the hole in the cap of the YellowWater Tank...