grease type to use for bearings - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2011, 11:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
grease type to use for bearings

I'm in the middle of repacking my bearings, and was wondering what type of grease I should use. I have 2 types in my garage, one can of moly-graphite grease, and a couple tubes of generic boat trailer grease. Both are lithium based, and both state they are suitable for wheel bearings. Are either better suited for trailer bearings? I've read some conflicting info on the web that graphite greases shouldn't be used for roller bearings. What type do you use?
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Is it a Dexter axle? This is from this page: Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - FAQ'S

BEARINGS - What is the proper bearing adjustment procedure and recommended grease?

Please review the Dexter Service Manual for instructions and specifications relating to bearing adjustment and lubrication. WARNING: It is important NOT to mix different types of grease thickeners. The grease that Dexter Axle uses has a Lithium Complex thickener. Mixing our grease with a Barium, Calcium, Clay, or Polyurea soap based thickener agent will cause adverse affects. This may include causing the two greases to harden, separate, become acidic, or pose other hazards and damage to the bearings.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #3

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hi, Thomas

You're right to wonder what grease to use, since mixing different types is a bad idea...
Your Burro's pretty new- it may be that a maintenance manual is available from the manufacturer.
travel trailers-burro travel trailer manufacture anniversary models
Of course, axles are usually warranted/discussed as separate components.
Burro's site doesn't say what brand of torsion axle is used- an inquiry to Burro would answer that question for you. Then you can ask the axle maker about the grease.
As Donna surmises, the axle is likely a Dexter like most trailer makers use, but better safe than sorry, right?

Good luck!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #4

Registry
Hmm, I'm not sure what brand axle it is. I know it's a 3500lb. torsion axle, when I diassembled the drum/hub, the seals and bearings matched all the parts for a 3500lb axle on etrailer. Probably either grease I have is fine, they are both lithium base.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasE View Post
Hmm, I'm not sure what brand axle it is. I know it's a 3500lb. torsion axle, when I diassembled the drum/hub, the seals and bearings matched all the parts for a 3500lb axle on etrailer. Probably either grease I have is fine, they are both lithium base.
If the axle tube is square it is probably Dexter, if it is a polgon it is probably AL-KO.
Save the graphite stuff until garbage day.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:41 PM   #6

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
The Burro site is an internet mausoleum. You aren't going to get a reply as Burro Trailer has been out of business since 2002. Better get Dexter's rec.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The first time I had to grease the bearings on my rig I went to the local auto parts store and told the guy what I wanted to do. He sold me a one pound can of Valvoline NLGI#2 grade Lithium Complex EP grease ( No. W614). All I use it for is bearings on the trailer. For everything else I have a grease gun. The can makes it easy to scoop out what I need. Less than $5 as i recall. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
The Burro site is an internet mausoleum. You aren't going to get a reply as Burro Trailer has been out of business since 2002. Better get Dexter's rec.

jack

Well, that's really too bad!
Such a good product, too...

Thanks for the heads up, Jack.

Francesca
Old 08-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Go to any well stocked auto parts store and look for grease that is labeled "lithium complex NGLI #2" with a minimum drop point of 419 degrees. Most major oil companies make a product that meets these specs.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #10

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Here is a link to an excellent youtube video on packing wheel bearings by Kevin Henry working on his 1979 Boler.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #11

Look for a ID plate of some sort on the axle. The old Al-Ko axle on my Scamp (the one I replaced) had an ID plate right in the center. I could barely see it when viewed from the back of the trailer. It was covered in years of road rash, but once I got that off....
Old 08-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
I switched to Power Punch grease 15 years ago-- haven't lost a wheel bearing since, and I only pack them once every 3-5 years. (cars and all) Do keep records on all the vehicles tho, so I know when I did pack'em.
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:07 PM   #13

Registry
Does anybody besides me have Bearing Buddies on their wheels?
They've sure worked out well for me...
One does have to be careful not to overfill, though...hard on the seals, and r-e-e-e-a-lly bad for the brakes!

Francesca
Old 08-29-2011, 11:26 PM   #14

Registry
It might be an Al-Ko axle, I do have a metal plate with a bunch of numbers mounted in the middle of the axle. The axle is square tubing. The brakes are marked Al-Ko.

I have bearing buddies on my trailer but I'm going to put on regular old dust caps instead when I finish up. There was a little bit of seepage past one of the grease seals which may or may not be related to the bearing buddies. But from what I've read, they do not prevent the inevitable bearing repack or extend the duration, so I'm just going to leave them off. I'm not sure if my bearings have been repacked or not, when I took the drums off, there was a multitude of different colored globs of greases, amber, blue, red that was injected into the bearing buddy over time. One of the outer bearings is slightly pitted, so I'm replacing it, but the others including the races look almost new.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:41 PM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
If you VERY thoroughly clean the bearings before re-packing, it won't be possible to get adverse impacts from mixing different types.

I use a lithium-based grease for the bearings on all my cars, my truck and all my trailers (all 6 of them - but only 3 are travel trailers - the other 3 are are a utility trailer, a boat trailer and and my flatdeck car-carrier). I tend to stick with Castrol products for all my lubrication, including in a grease gun where required
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:42 AM   #16

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Here's what an Al-Ko tube profile looks like....
Attached Images

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #17

Cool Floyd! That explains it better in an animated image than I could EVER do in words. THANKS!