Greasing 2017 13' ft Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2019, 09:21 AM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp - Gently Used
Kentucky
Greasing 2017 13' ft Scamp

I'm sure its been discussed around here plenty but I am finding conflicting information on the internet (imagine that). Its time for us to grease the wheels of our 2017 13' ft Scamp. I'm thinking it has the E-Z Grease system.
What type of grease should I use?
What type of grease gun should I buy?

Also I just wanted to check and make sure what I have found is correct:

I want to slowly squeeze the grease in, while turning the wheels and no more than four pumps?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 08-25-2019, 12:07 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Get a one hand pump type gun with the short hand grip, not the gun with the long lever to pump it. Farm stores and auto parts stores have them. Don’t buy the cheapest one you can. find and get one with a nice long hose. Buy a USA made gun if you can find one. I don’t know what brand your axles are but most bearings thrive on Lucas red and tacky or Lucas heavy duty lithium grease. The best use of the grease is usually shown on the side of the tube. I recently bought some grease that was labeled for dexter axles. It seems pretty good to me. About $4.50 per tube which I thought was plenty but haven’t kept up on the price of grease lately as you don’t use all that much. If you have the easy lube axles pumping and turning slowly is a recommended technique. I usually tear them down to look at the brake shoes once a year and put in new seals which I feel are cheap insurance. I like Dexter seals and Timken bearings on our Escape 21. Take your time and only do one side at a time. That’s what I learned from my Dad 55 years ago when I started to maintain my first boat trailer. There was no internet then, only rotary dial phones and WW2 vets who knew a broken down vehicle in a combat area was a bad deal.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Dave is right on. Read no further sugestions.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:45 PM   #4

Iowa
Thank you. Not that it’s appropriate to trailer ownership but I had several mow crews that maintained our 4,000 acre park system when I was superintendent. Greasing mowers at least every day and sometimes twice a day was a big deal. Some mowers had 35 zerks. We went to battery powered Lincoln grease guns, two or three per shop. It made it so much easier to grease and bearing and pulley failure went way down. Every once in a while I’d get crazy when orienting new mow guys in the spring and have one of my foremen who was a tattoo artist in his spare time, draw on my shoulder a grease gun with a magic marker and underneath the inscription “Grease is cheap”. They thought I was pretty weird, which I guess I was, but it made an impression and nobody wanted to say they hadn’t been told to grease after seeing the fake tattoo. The way cars have changed over the years greasing is a forgotten art, till you see a boat trailer setting on the axle along the interstate with the corner of the boat on the paving.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-25-2019, 01:09 PM   #5

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp - Gently Used
Kentucky
Greasing 2017 13' ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Get a one hand pump type gun with the short hand grip
i was going to get this one REXBETI Black Pistol Grip Grease Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I don’t know what brand your axles are but most bearings thrive on Lucas red and tacky or Lucas heavy duty lithium grease.
And I was going to get this grease?

Lucas Oil 10005 Red 'N' Tacky Grease - 14 oz.

Do those seem like acceptable selections?
Old 08-25-2019, 01:25 PM   #6

Iowa
Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueIT View Post
i was going to get this one [URL="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BMND4P1/ref=crt_ewc_img_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ASECARC1KS KPX"]REXBETI Black Pistol Grip Grease Gun

And I was going to get this grease?

Lucas Oil 10005 Red 'N' Tacky Grease - 14 oz.

Do those seem like acceptable selections?
They both look good to me. I like Lucas oil products.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-25-2019, 01:55 PM   #7

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Mostly on topic and since we have a definitive answer to the OP, I have another question. How often or after how many miles should a small trailer owner be repacking the bearings?
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:21 PM   #8

Iowa
You will get a lot of answers to that question. We are towing about 10 to 14 thousand miles a year. I make sure the bearings are good at the beginning of the season and that the brakes have adequate meat on them and are adjusted so they just Ching when the wheel is freely spun by hand. This gives me solid peace of mind for the whole season. If I torture the brakes in the mountains, which I try not to but a lot depends on the routes taken, I may adjust them out mid season. Wheel bearings, properly greased and firmly seated in the bearing cups so that they spin freely but show no top to bottom or side to side play could easily go many more miles than I run them. I’m kinda like the bank robber in the Dirty Harry movie when he says to Clint Eastwood “I gots to know man, I gots to know.”
Iowa Dave
Old 08-25-2019, 02:27 PM   #9

Name: Tony
Ohio
Nice
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:45 AM   #10

Name: Rick
Minnesota