Greasing the hitch and ball - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2019, 07:59 AM   #61

Name: Mickey
Trailer: 18EC W&P Toy Hauler
Oklahoma
My favorite penetrating / lubricating spray is BUST-A-NUT. It works really well. It will spray up in the coupling and it lubricates all the working parts. Check it out.

https://www.northlandchemical.com/sh...lon-moly-lube/
Old 05-09-2019, 09:15 AM   #62

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
George Carlin did a great bit about his stuff.

He talked about having an enormous amount of stuff, but going on a trip he took less stuff. Just the stuff he needed. Then on a short excursion, while on the trip, he just grabbed a few things from the limited stuff. Then to go out for dinner, he might just grad one or two essentials. And on and on, with fewer and fewer things.

I find that after fixing things for many years, I've become accustomed to using fewer and fewer tools to do the same jobs. Just the favorites that are easy to use and very efficient. Carrying that idea to the extreme, fewer and fewer tools for the job, I decided the ultimate goal would be to fix anything, with nothing. I'll never get there, but it's fun to try. If I go to look at a problem with somebody, I usually grab my medium sized Knipex water pump pliers, a six-in-one screwdriver, and an 8" Crescent. A volt/ohm and needle nose pliers are also favorites. As mentioned by Harold, a drop of oil is easily found on the dipstick, or a dab of grease from a tie rod end.

Another favorite is a straight jaw, framing hammer. An excellent digging and prying tool. Windex is also on the list of favorites and I won't go anywhere without it. Hand cleaner, bug spray, leak detector, tar remover. Heck, it even cleans windows!

For years I've carried a Swiss Army Knife and I use it 20 times a day. Once, while out in the desert taking pictures with a friend, I was able to disassemble a 35 mm camera lens and fix it, with that knife. I once got a car started by pushing the bumpers together and using a folding jack handle across the two plus terminals. While out at sea and seriously needing a piece of tubing, I stripped the jacket off an extension cord and it worked just fine. Etc, etc.