Has anybody shaved off their rat fur? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2018, 02:44 PM   #1

Name: amy
Trailer: scamp 13
ME
Has anybody shaved off their rat fur?

I want to shave it ALL off with those electric trimmer/shaver thingy.

Then paint and poly or epoxy it and make it smooth like a baby's butt.
amy in maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:51 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I think you'd need to scrape the liner fabric off, and the reflectix insulation under it, then you'd have the rough interior of the fiberglass shell, which you'd need to fill and smooth with some sort of body filler, sand smooth, THEN primer and paint. you'd loose significant insulation value doing this but any attempt at putting a poly or epoxy coating over the liner fabric+reflectix would likely be subject to cracking the first time you bump into it.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Have you considered an Eggcamper or an Oliver ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #4

ME
Ohhhh but then how about shave it and just paint it with fabric paint?
It won't be smooth but I can live without the extra fuzz.

I don't want to take the kitchen and bed and all that out so that's why I thought to "shave"
Old 07-02-2018, 03:01 PM   #5

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Have you considered an Eggcamper or an Oliver ?
No, too heavy and I JUST bought my Scamp a few months ago and it's practically new because the previous owner only took it out a handful of times.
I have to do what I can with THIS camper
Old 07-02-2018, 03:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Amy, if you are successful at shaving (and maybe some plucking ) the interior of your camper, I would be interested in seeing the results.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:16 PM   #7

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Amy, if you are successful at shaving (and maybe some plucking ) the interior of your camper, I would be interested in seeing the results.
ME TOO!!! Wouldn't THAT be so rad?!

That is why I am asking LOL!!

I guess nobody has ever tried it...

I have dust allergies and it's revolting to look at, it makes me itch just looking at it! lol

I'll try and shave some off inside the closet and see if it's even doable and how easy/difficult it's going to be.

I'm thinking I'll have to buy loads of extra blades to do it all though!
Old 07-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Our Uhaul has smooth interior, maybe you would like to trade.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:34 PM   #9

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Our Uhaul has smooth interior, maybe you would like to trade.
I didn't want to do ANY work so I specifically wanted something newer than 2015, I compromised with 2014 being that the owner kept it sheltered and had been used only a few times.

I don't have the knowledge nor the time and effort to be able to maintain a 84 Uhaul or Scamp or Boler or ANYTHING in that matter!
Old 07-02-2018, 03:45 PM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If you "shave" the headliner, you may end up with a surface that is rougher than what you have now. The backing is minimal and open, so you may also see more of the foil bubble wrap showing through. If you must do this, I would suggest experimenting in a hidden area first.

Your Scamp will definitely take a hit on resale if you do something unusual with the shell lining. Most buyers know that fixing or changing it is a big project.

Many people find the rat fur grows on them over time. Regular vacuuming will help with dust, and it's really not much more trouble than wiping down smooth surfaces. Upholstery and the foam inside are at least as likely to harbor allergens as the headliner. They can also be vacuumed while you're doing the walls.

If it doesn't (grow on you), and in the meantime, you could search for a restored Burro or U-Haul (where some else has done all the hard work), or save up for a brand-new or late model Happier Camper HC1. All are 13'ers with a smooth gelcoat interior. Keep your eye out for a rare used Escape 13' with a smooth vinyl-covered foam lining.

You'll be surprised at how fast your "almost-new" trailer piles on the years, and unless abused, wears them well. My Scamp was 4 years old when we bought it and like new on the inside. It's now approaching its 10th birthday. I have started to tackle some exterior maintenance- seals, rivets, some rusting hardware. Comes with RV ownership, can't avoid it. The interior is pretty much like new.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:00 PM   #11

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
If you "shave" the headliner, you may end up with a surface that is rougher than what you have now. The backing is minimal and open, so you may also see more of the foil bubble wrap showing through. If you must do this, I would suggest experimenting in a hidden area first.

Many people find the rat fur grows on them over time. Regular vacuuming will help with dust, and it's really not much more trouble than wiping down smooth surfaces. Upholstery and the foam inside are at least as likely to harbor allergens as the headliner. They can also be vacuumed while you're doing the walls.

If it doesn't (grow on you), and in the meantime, you could search for a restored Burro or U-Haul (where some else has done all the work), or save up for a brand-new or late model Happier Camper HC1. All are 13'ers with a smooth gelcoat interior. Keep your eye out for a rare used Escape 13' with a smooth vinyl-covered foam lining.

Your Scamp will definitely take a hit on resale if you do something unusual with the shell lining. Most buyers know that fixing or changing it is a big project.
I steam cleaned the hell out of the ratfur and EVERY nook and cranny when I first got it. I was still sneezing and eyes watering so I washed all the covers AND the foam the foam was covered in this weird plastic thing and was spotless but I still put it through the wash just in case. The cushions are all out and I was measuring everything inside and still was sneezing so I am thinking it HAS TO BE THE RAT FURRRRRRRRR GRRRRRRRR!!!
Because everything else is spotless right now.

But yes, I'll shave off the inside closet first and see what happens

Oh, but it might be that because it's fairly new I see these fuzzes now and then like when you get a new carpet. Once those fuzzes stop flying around it might be all good. But trust me I am vacuuming every chance I have and am pretty much DONE with this vacuuming thing it gets OLDDDDD faster than Tesla's SpaceX
Old 07-02-2018, 05:02 PM   #12

Mid Left Coast
synthetics like 'rat fur' rarely trigger allergies, its far more likely a symptom of mold or mildew or something similar. Our old tent trailer had a nasty moldy smell that turned out to be from the sink drain.... you might pour a couple cups of diluted bleach (maybe 10%?) down each of the sinks to fill the traps and let that sit overnight, then flush thoroughly with water, and drain the grey tank....
Old 07-02-2018, 05:29 PM   #13

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
synthetics like 'rat fur' rarely trigger allergies, its far more likely a symptom of mold or mildew or something similar. Our old tent trailer had a nasty moldy smell that turned out to be from the sink drain.... you might pour a couple cups of diluted bleach (maybe 10%?) down each of the sinks to fill the traps and let that sit overnight, then flush thoroughly with water, and drain the grey tank....
Thank you! I never thought to do the drain, I'll do that right away!
Old 07-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #14

Mid Left Coast
every time I drain the tanks on my trailers, when I've closed them up again, I flush a tablet or two of "Elemonate" down the kitchen sink with a couple gallons of water, and I flush a packet or two of Walex Portapak down the 'loo, and add a couple gallons of water. driving to my next destination thoroughly agitates this stuff in the holding tanks, and helps keep them clean and much less nasty smelling.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BSB7PU - for the grey tank
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006GF5SK - for the black tank

(if your Scamp doesn't have a bathroom, obviously, skip the black tank stuff).
Old 07-02-2018, 06:05 PM   #15

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Oh, but I'm actually more allergic to synthetic rather than natural(wool) it's not the synthetic material/fabric itself but rather the chemicals that was treated with it. I am assuming there is treated chemicals on that ratfur but also grabs the dust more because I don't have carpeting on the floor everything is smooth.

But again it may be mold as well!
Old 07-02-2018, 06:52 PM   #16

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Amy, if it helps, you can order headliner fabric from Scamp, which is sold by the square yard. You can then experiment with swatches without jeopardizing anything. Check out the Scamp online parts store. You’ll have to call for prices.
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:02 PM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
What year is your Scamp?

Look into getting a Fantastic or Maxxair fan and turn it on blowing in and forcing inside air out the windows. It may help in pushing alergins out of trailer.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:03 PM   #18

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by neparker View Post
Amy, if it helps, you can order headliner fabric from Scamp, which is sold by the square yard. You can then experiment with swatches without jeopardizing anything. Check out the Scamp online parts store. You’ll have to call for prices.
Do you mean I can apply OVER the ratfur? Or do I need to take all of it off and then apply it?
Old 07-02-2018, 07:19 PM   #19

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
What year is your Scamp?

Look into getting a Fantastic or Maxxair fan and turn it on blowing in and forcing inside air out the windows. It may help in pushing alergins out of trailer.
Yes, if it seems I can't shave it off I think I'm going to borrow a carpet cleaner or something and wash the rat fur with soap and try to get the chemicals out, I do this with area rugs when I first purchase it and it helps a TON then as you suggested just air everything out.

BUT if I can shave it off...WOOHOO?!
Old 07-02-2018, 07:22 PM   #20

Mid Left Coast
you can also get a variety of headliner fabrics from a marine supply. Escape trailers are lined with a smooth headliner thats got a foam backing, but the inside surface is smooth white, like the walls on jet airliners.

for instance, this is pretty similar to whats in my Escape.
https://www.sailrite.com/Seabrook-Se...cked-Headliner

you could probably apply this stuff directly over your rat fur, using the recommended 3M Trim Adhesive in a can, applied with a roller. you'd roll the adhesive onto the wall, and also onto the foam backing of the liner fabric, let both surfaces dry (WARNING, GOOD VENTILATION IS MANDATORY WHILE ITS DRYING), then you'd apply the fabric starting at the bottom and working your way up, using a clean roller... use an Xacto knife to trim the edges around the windows and such. with 3M Trim Adhesive, you get one chance, once the two surfaces touch, they are bonded..