Has anyone changed a floorplan completely? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2009, 07:48 AM   #21

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Quote:
Surfside
The only 13' front kitchen was Playpac. But I think the bed was smaller.
PlayPac Manual

The PlayPac manual shows the layout. The bed/benches were about 6 feet long, so that would give 4 people sleeping room lengthwise. Others who have redone a PlayPac have fit a queen size mattress in them. The pictures in the Alblum show one without the private bath closet, which the manual says was standard on both models.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:01 AM   #22

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I had toyed with this layout idea, which I showed in the previous thread Andrew mentioned (which you might like to take a look at - people brought up and illustrated numerous potential alternative layouts).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scamp_Liberty_layout.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	25677

Note that I think an actual Boler/Scamp is more rounded in the corners than Andrew's plan (although, how nice to have a blank plan ). I altered one from the Scamp website to get mine.

I guess from being on boats, I like the feeling of a bed that is also a settee and on which you can either sit at the table, or sit "longwise," lean against the wall with your legs stretched out, and read. And I like the big window over the kitchen feeling. This would also give more room for two people to sleep on the bed (crosswise, as in the original layout, with feet on closet side). One person could sleep on the "settee" with no conversion or loss of table.

This idea does take away some of the "big open room" feeling that (as odd as it may sound), I find you get with an original floor-plan Boler layout (and which is quite nice, I think). I've decided to keep mine more standard, at least for now.

Instead I am thinking about a couple of other ideas:

1) Making a full sized desk/work table to go in above the front gaucho (face forward when sitting at it). It would be removable and perhaps the middle section flip-up-or-downable. The chair could be a comfy office chair, and roll in under the table when not in use (or a folding chair that could be stowed away flat).

2) I miss having a really comfy chair, so have been thinking of getting a comfy high-backed office chair (they are available narrow) to put in the center gaucho area facing aft (with small counter/table sections left and right). Maybe also a footstool/hassock thingie.

3) Oh, and I tried another arrangement out for a while this summer. I made the front gaucho into my bed (removed bunk/back for wider surface), and then made the dinette area into a U-shaped office type area. It was intriguing and I may do it again sometime with better "furniture." That would mean a comfortable high-backed office chair to sit on, and removing the "benches" so that there was more leg area and better storage access. We'll see. It's fun to play around
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 05:34 PM   #23

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Ya'll have the coolest toys! Thanks for the new toys to play with! Great ideas!

MMMMMMMMMMMM, I think it's time for a turkey sandwich while I play with layouts, lol.

Melissa

Quote:
Here's an original plus a couple of wider-bed layouts done some time ago when this was last discussed. The two alternative layout do have forward-facing refrigerator vents which I hadn't realised was a potential problem when doing these.

Andrew
Old 12-27-2009, 06:47 AM   #24

Trailer: none at this time
Quote:
I am just wondering if this could or has been done. Take a gutted 13ft egg, put in a front kitchen which would free up room for a larger bed in back... say maybe 12" wider or so. I'm guessing the closet serves as a roof support? If so, could one build floor to ceiling cabinets to provide this same support on one side and a closet on the other? Is there a reason there are no current production eggs with a front kitchen? I'd think one could even build in a larger fridge into the support cabinet. Does the egg's roof need support? This floorplan would only sleep 2 but would allow for a larger bed and more cabinets on the port and starboard side and possible a larger fridge. Any problems with this analogy?

Thanks,
Melissa
I was told that alot of the egg trailers did not have front kitchens because of the weight on the front. It would change the tongue weight and the side kitchens even out the load. I have seen some with front kitchens form the factory.
s.green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:51 AM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy

You have to be careful with moving things around too much. Our Trillium has a closet on the RH side and the kitchen on the LH side. These are fiberglass units bonded to the shell. I am sure that they also serve as stiffeners or braces for the unit.

This reminds me of a story from the VW Beatle days: Someone got tired of the bumper bending during parking so they strengthened it. Then the bumper braces bent so they strengthened them. Then the frame bent. It is risky second guessing any design. You never know what went into it.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #26

Trailer: 13 ft 1968 Boler
Send a message via AIM to Joe Diaz Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Diaz
Quote:
You have to be careful with moving things around too much. Our Trillium has a closet on the RH side and the kitchen on the LH side. These are fiberglass units bonded to the shell. I am sure that they also serve as stiffeners or braces for the unit.

This reminds me of a story from the VW Beatle days: Someone got tired of the bumper bending during parking so they strengthened it. Then the bumper braces bent so they strengthened them. Then the frame bent. It is risky second guessing any design. You never know what went into it.
I have changed the interior of my Boler totally...If you would like to see pix let me know.....I started with a blank slate nothing inside and started there......let me know....Joe
Joe Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:27 AM   #27

Quote:
I have changed the interior of my Boler totally...If you would like to see pix let me know.....I started with a blank slate nothing inside and started there......let me know....Joe
Here are some pix of our Boler
Attached Thumbnails
P2130002__Small_.JPG   P2130003__Small_.JPG  

P2130005__Small_.JPG   P3250009__Small_.JPG  

Old 12-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #28

Quote:
The bed is the entire width of the camper 6'6" and it is 5' in lenth. We use a air matress over a down quilt over 1/2" plywood supported of course with storage underneath.....No wasted space at all....My wife didn't want a dinnette that had to be built to a bed at the end of a day sightseeing so I built a full time bed. The "kitchen" is nothing more that a sink and icebox that I got from a VW bus..............( I have my own shop rebuilding old VW's) and the seating area is 2 benched with a fold down table. My wife didn't want to cook inside with the walls carpeted and everywhere we go the park usually supplies a pic-nic table so I have a 2 burner stove that we cook outside with works great......Look, you have to think small and economical.....I have had the 38' Bounder class A motor home at 6 miles to the gallon......I have been to the top and I much rather have out Boler......please reply with any questions that you may have.....Joe
Old 12-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #29

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Another option.
Not much storage with this setup.Unless you use the part under the bed. Bed is 6'4"x5'6"

Click image for larger version

Name:	1a.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	25685
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #30

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Oh wow! Now that bed looks comfy!

Quote:
Old 01-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #31

Quote:
Oh wow! Now that bed looks comfy!
Mellisa The bed is extremely comfy....It is a walmart queen matress with a down blanket and we blow it up by 110 or 12 volt and it sleeps me and the wife with no problem....