Head Room Question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #15

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
I full time in a 2001 Scamp 13', I'm a touch under 6'. I can stand upright in a few choice places, but for the most part, as I move around in the trailer I'm crouching around and keeping my head down. But I'm used to it. I fit in the bed with a few inches to spare, that's the big thing.

I do wish it was an inch or two taller. I think the 2003+ models are a bit taller.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
I do wish it was an inch or two taller. I think the 2003+ models are a bit taller.
That would actually be, 13' Scamps built AFTER the fire destroyed the old molds. The fire was January 12, 2006, and I think the first 13 footers came off the line in the fall of 2006 (they starting building the 16 footers first).

Probably more info than you wanted to know Dylan....

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #17

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Actually, that's great info. While i may never buy another scamp, i may advise others and i'm glad to know when and why that change was made. Useful to know the molds are different.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:21 AM   #18

Name: Herb
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
I am 6'4" and have learned that the length of the bed is more important than the height of the ceiling. You will spend a lot of hours in bed and only a few minutes walking around. I sleep fine in the Casita 17 bed which is 77" long x 54" wide.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #19

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
lol i don't know where they were measuring on a scamp to get that,, i'm 6ft and i don;t think i have three inches of clearance in mine...maybe i need more air in the tires?

your in indiana so it will be well worth your time to take a trip to grand rapids michigan and look at the egg camper. it was designed by a guy thats about 6 ft5 i think and is very nicely built. give them a call and the owner will be glad to give you the 25 cent tour of the factory and show off his camper.
i think base price is about $17,000 and i think its a good value if your tug can tow it.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #20

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Sutton View Post
I am 6'4" and have learned that the length of the bed is more important than the height of the ceiling. You will spend a lot of hours in bed and only a few minutes walking around. I sleep fine in the Casita 17 bed which is 77" long x 54" wide.
I'm also 6' 4" and have the opposite need/desire. I sleep on my side and somewhat curled up, so a short bed doesn't usually bother me, but I can't stand (groan), having to hunch over in order to keep from bumping my head.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #21

Name: jen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003
Georgia
I think that ceiling height is not just about walking around, but giving a "feeling" of more space, too...

As to camping chairs, I have numerous btw hubby and me, but this is my all time favorite and now I don't use anything else!!

REI Comfort LTG Chair at REI.com
Old 06-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #22

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
Tom, since you live in Indiana you're not that far from the Egg Camper factory in Grandville, MI. An alternative for you would be to look at ours next weekend when we'll be at our son's place in Indianapolis.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #23

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Indiana
My wife and I finally found a Scamp we could try on for size. It was about 50 miles from us and had just been put up on craigslist.

My head did rub the ceiling but I think I can live with that. We tried the bed and the length will be O.K. for me as I am a side sleeper most of the time and do curl up a little. The bed width may be more of a problem for us, we'll just have to try it out. The unit has a side dinette and front bunks, (no toilet). The bed cushions are hard, we will have to find a way to soften them up.

Well, we put a down payment on it and will be picking it up later this week.

Now I need to get the 7 pin connector installed on my truck.

Thanks for all the suggestions. My takeaway from all of the discussions in this thread is, get a comfortable bed and a comfortable camp chair.

Smiles,
Tom
Old 06-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #24

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyTJ View Post
The bed cushions are hard, we will have to find a way to soften them up.
A few inches of memory foam over the cushions solved that issue for a lot people including me.

Hope the trailer works out for you.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #25

Name: Michael
Trailer: Park Liner
North Carolina
Glad you found a camper that will work. For anybody else who may be reading the thread, ParkLiner is a great option for those of us who are taller. I'm 6'3" and have spent significant time in a ParkLiner, and have never worried about headspace. The shower is a bit tight, but I am comfortable walking around and can stretch out on the queen bed.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Name: Deb & Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot, Boler, Trillium, ECO, U-Haul, Burro, Escape, Trailswest, Compact Jr., Casita, Scamp
Washington
Head Room??

The Escape 19ft is tall enough inside for me I am 6'2" like you. If you are interested in an Escape I have the only used one for sale south of the Canadian Boarder. It is a 2010 Escape 19 with all the options and it still has factory warranty left.
Chuck
Old 06-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #27

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I'm 6'7" and you get use to bending a little. I hardly even notice it any more. Now the bed is a little tight but I usually sleep on my side so its not a big problem.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #28

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
First off a person needs to ask home much time is spent inside the trailer walking around? In my little 13' not very much since it's only two steps to get from one end to the other.