Heat ? when boonedocking & NO Electric ?? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2018, 09:05 AM   #61

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
steve I stupidly bought a downtown building thinking I could make a little money what an inspiration that was. Touch anything and here they would come insisting your 100 year old building was going to be brought up to modern code. a 50k 100 old building could have easily ran 200k! you know sprinklers, new wiring, plumbing all the codes for the disabled. even if I did all that I was still stuck with cheap renters or no renters or dead-beat renters.

I butted heads with those clowns so many times it made me sick! I kept telling them no way was that going to happen finally I threatened to desert it and leave them with it!

finally since it had a restaurant in it I sold it to a young couple for almost nothing they had no clue to running a restaurant but they tried today it sets empty and I am so glad I am out of it. No doubt at some point the city will have to take it over or tear it down big money it was an ex wards store 3 stories!

I lost money for 15 years on that thing oh if I just had my losses back!

bob
I worked full and part time for Montgomery Ward for 30 years
1967 to 1997 . When I started we had 1800 employees in the St Paul Catalog House . When I left they had 4 employees.
I miss working there but what I really miss is the 30 years of pension we got screwed out of in the bankruptcy , part of which was our own money . Please forgive my complaining
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:09 AM   #62

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
every right to be mad

steve you have every right to be upset I have heard of this so many times. on a side note I bought a m/ward central air it had a Copeland compressor in it the a/c unit was still working 30 years later when I upgraded.

wards and sears had some great stuff in their day

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:05 AM   #63

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
what I really miss is the 30 years of pension we got screwed out of in the bankruptcy , part of which was our own money . Please forgive my complaining
Actually, it was ALL your own money. The portion contributed by the company is a benefit that was part of your salary.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:18 AM   #64

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Actually, it was ALL your own money. The portion contributed by the company is a benefit that was part of your salary.
Your right Glenn, it was all my money
The State of Minnesota did something similar when I was teaching.
They kicked us out of the State Pension fund . They gave us back our contributions but kept their contributions and any interest earned . Then about 10 years later they decided they needed our money again and forced us back into the State Pension fund .
After 30 + years of teaching I have enough money in my pension fund to buy a pizza and a pitcher of beer.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:32 AM   #65

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
steve wife was a teacher thankfully that never happened to her but I have a daughter and granddaughter teaching in il. and they have pulled something. Seems like they forced them into s/s not sure.

my wife gets way more than s/s but she taught for 35 years I think she put in 10% of her wages and the school matched it. but her salary wasn't much when she started not a lot when she retired!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:02 AM   #66

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Humerickhouse View Post
What works for you ?i have 3 safty mon. smoke alarm,,Co2 sensor and carbon minoxide detector???How wouls a "buddy Heater " work ?? i have used them in tents,hunting blinds,,ice shanty??
Thanks and Cheers Ron
The OEM heater in our Escape works great if it’s really cold, but the dog likes it cooler so we usually just curl up next to him.😄
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:42 PM   #67

Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Dog heaters work good but an expensive hassle to maintain. They take more room than a small heater and always on, even if you don't need them.

The saving grace with them is they are portable and come in various sizes from tiny to extremely large. Their emissions are extremely poor exuding both C02 and methane. Some times so much methane it will drive you right out of the car or trailer.

They consume copious amounts of fuel and water and leave equal amounts of solid and liquid waste to deal with.

They tend to overtake their environment.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:54 PM   #68

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
All true, but wouldn’t trade him for the world😎
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:44 PM   #69

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
What kind of beer?
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:24 AM   #70
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
What kind of beer?
Old Milwaukee no doubt.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:28 AM   #71
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Dog heaters work good but an expensive hassle to maintain. They take more room than a small heater and always on, even if you don't need them.

The saving grace with them is they are portable and come in various sizes from tiny to extremely large. Their emissions are extremely poor exuding both C02 and methane. Some times so much methane it will drive you right out of the car or trailer.

They consume copious amounts of fuel and water and leave equal amounts of solid and liquid waste to deal with.

They tend to overtake their environment.
Yup

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171117_065953.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	116171
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:11 AM   #72

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
LOL!
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:01 PM   #73

Name: fred
Trailer: Burro, had aliner
Michigan
gravity furnace for sale

I put a small gravity furnace into my 13 ft burro and it warms up nicely with not fan. During winter camping I need to save my 12 volts for the lights. I tried using a Buddy heater, but with no outside venting the condensation was a big problem. Current furnace does the job because its vented to the outside.
Before I obtained this furnace, I found an old Duo Therm Glen Aire gravity furnace which I decided was way to big to install into the burro. This measures approximately 45" high x 14" wide, x 6" deep. A chimney vents out the top of unit and through the ceiling to the outdoors It has no fan, does not require electricity I was told that it worked when I got it 5 or 6 years ago but I never attempted to get it working. $50 and it is yours. Located about 30 minutes north of Ann Arbor MI
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2734.jpg   IMG_2735.jpg  

IMG_2736.jpg   IMG_2737.jpg  

fred wark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:04 PM   #74

Name: fred
Trailer: Burro, had aliner
Michigan
gravity furnace for sale

one more photo. Sorry about them being sideways. I don't know what I did wrong, or how to fix it
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2738.jpg  
fred wark is offline   Reply With Quote