Heater Installation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2009, 02:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I have a 17 ft. Casita Freedom Deluxe that came from South Carolina. It never had a gas heater installed in it. I was wondering how much of a job it would be for me to install one. I could have it shipped here to Pa. from Rice Tx. then cut it in and wire it and hook up the LP. Have any of you ever done this?
RON HEIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Ron its fairly easy, I do this for a living, the skill levell is about medium.
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:07 AM   #3

Trailer: BIOD (1979 and 1990)
Registry
Quote:
I have a 17 ft. Casita Freedom Deluxe that came from South Carolina. It never had a gas heater installed in it. I was wondering how much of a job it would be for me to install one. I could have it shipped here to Pa. from Rice Tx. then cut it in and wire it and hook up the LP. Have any of you ever done this?
Just for the record.
I just de-installed the gasheater.
We don't camp in the winter.
In spring and autumn a small ceramic electric heater does the job well.
Blog: https://rilexm.eu/fotoboek/2009na/
Lex M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:03 AM   #4

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Ron its fairly easy, I do this for a living, the skill levell is about medium.
I would assume all the wiring is there under the carpet somewhere regardless of the heater being originally ordered or not. Since this was a southern trailer, the original owners didn't order the furnace as they had no need for it. I use a cube heater when I have full hookups, however, when I am without power (120 volts) a gas furnace would be really nice to have. Thanks, Ron
RON HEIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Ron,

If you came pre-wired with factory wires waiting for a furnace or not is an issue I do not know, on that issue I would call Casita, or check out their boards, they have something on that, I see fiberglass trailers maybe two to three times a year and never made a note of it. Casita owners can be asked under "general chat" here too. I would not fear the wireing its simple though.

If you have no 120 volt supply? and you are parked a while with out it, the catylitic heaters preform well if the rules are followed with zero drain on power.

Check out those discussion threads here.

Harry

Quote:
I would assume all the wiring is there under the carpet somewhere regardless of the heater being originally ordered or not. Since this was a southern trailer, the original owners didn't order the furnace as they had no need for it. I use a cube heater when I have full hookups, however, when I am without power (120 volts) a gas furnace would be really nice to have. Thanks, Ron
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #6

Trailer: Trillium
I'm also thinking of installing a furnace in an 05 Casita Freedom Deluxe. Ebay seems to have the best prices, about $125 less than Casita. Is the area prewired for this installation? I understand it fits under the stove and saw some pictures of a factory install on the Casita forums web site. Is hooking up the propane any problem? Has anyone actually done one? How difficult was it?

Don
d_wildemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
I had the stove top over our existing furnace removed so I could install new counter tops and thought some pictures of how ours was installed might be useful. So here are two pics each of the hull wall side then the interior of the cabinet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Furnace__1_.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	18875

Click image for larger version

Name:	Furnace__4_.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	18877
Attached Thumbnails
Furnace__2_.JPG   Furnace.JPG  

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Peter,
I'd be a little concerned about the propane line potentially rubbing against the corner of the heater. Is there any way you can get it off or maybe a rubber gromet or ???
Not so
Good Vibrations.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Peter,
I'd be a little concerned about the propane line potentially rubbing against the corner of the heater. Is there any way you can get it off or maybe a rubber gromet or ???
Not so
Good Vibrations.
Hmmm. You know I didn't even really look at the heater install -- I just had the area opened up when this discussion hit the ink, so I thought I'd snap a few pics -- but you're right. I should look into addressing any possible rub issue there. Thanks for pointing that out.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote