Heater Option - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-07-2008, 10:55 AM   #29

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
on a standard 13 you could mount it on the side of the closet by the entry door. My vented platcat was there on my 13.

The only problem (And it probably won't be a problem with a short visit to an HVAC store) is the right angle on the vent. I am sure a certified HVAC guy or gal has just the right part for it. They could probably even do an extension if you wanted to mount it elsewhere that meets the clearance specs.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:03 AM   #30

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
$$$$$

That Mr. Buddy and a cube heater for hookups looks better n better...

We've been down in the 20's with our Mr Buddy and down comforter and been fine.

2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:10 AM   #31

Trailer: 76 Fiber Stream
Thank you. All good info. Which begs the question: what about propane and carbon monoxide alarms? Do many of you have these installed in your trailers? Is there one alarm system that can guard against everything? (Fire, Propane, CO?) TIA.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:12 AM   #32

Trailer: 76 Fiber Stream
PS - I'm sure my questions regarding appropriate alarm systems has already been discussed (probably many times) elsewhere in the archives. But I haven't found that thread. I was searching for that when I came upon this thread. Can anybody point me to an archive or other website which addresses this? TIA.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:18 AM   #33

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Here's an Empire heater for $490 that can be mounted 18" from the outside if you use an extension for the vent/intake

Empire heater (pdf)
Old 05-07-2008, 11:33 AM   #34

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
generic answer Lindsay. Yes you should have all 3 alarms, but a combo would not work. Propane sinks and the alarm needs to be mounted low, near the floor. The other alarms need to be mounted high.

I think I have seen Fire and Carbon monoxide combos before.

I have individual units. Well, I am bad, I haven't put in a propane unit yet.

I need to go to my room for that.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:30 PM   #35

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
I really don't think any combustion device burning hydrocarbon fuels can do so without producing CO2. That carbon has to go someplace.

C<sub>3</sub>H<sub>8</sub> (propane) + 5 O<sub>2</sub> → 3 CO<sub>2</sub> + 4 H<sub>2</sub>O + heat

Nitrogen is a large fraction of the air, but it just sort of goes along for the ride and gets heated as well, so it's not shown in the equation. Catalysts will help complete the combustion, thus minimizing CO, but the CO2 will be there unless you're burning hydrogen. That's why ventilation is important.

Parker
I believe that the practical application shows that the O2 depletion is more important than the CO2 buildup. I have had my ODS heater shut down when I was running it once without enough ventilation and I was experiencing no CO2 symptoms when it happened. Either way, adequate ventilation is needed to get safe heat. I have gotten in the habit of always leaving my kitchen window open a little bit and opening my door window a little bit to get cross ventilation. I also open a roof vent a little to allow the hottest, most water-vapor laden air to exit.

My Empire ODS is 6,000BTU and that's enough to drive me out if I don't use large opening on roof vent and shut it off occasionally, which is why I recommended the Buddy, which has some adjustments. An alternative would be two 3,000BTU Coleman Black Cats; run both for initial heatup and then run one to keep it that way (about $100 for two).
Old 05-08-2008, 12:57 AM   #36

Trailer: 1994 Bigfoot 21 ft
Quote:
The new egg we are looking at (17' Casita) offers a 16,000BTU furnace as an option. I thought it was a no brainer - yes! Then I talked to two regular Casita users (from California) who "never" use their furnaces. If you do not choose the option you get another small storage compartment that's a plus.
We will likely do most of our camping on the West Coast as we are in Northern California. So now it is a question.
So the question to you is" do you use your furnace? Often? Are you in Alaska? Would you consider not including the option if you started over with a new rig?
Thanks,
Pat

I use mine all the time! I have a four season bigfoot and use it all winter long for snowboard trips throughout BC (dipping down to -40 celcius). Sure is nice to find a hook up though (even if "borrowed" - thanks ski patrol!)

I know maybe an extreme example, but i think it is a nice option to have even if early spring / late fall camping (esp. high elevation). We took ours out a few weeks ago and used our furnace all night - woke up to a foot of fresh!

hope this helps......
Old 05-08-2008, 01:52 AM   #37

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
I use mine all the time! I have a four season bigfoot and use it all winter long for snowboard trips throughout BC (dipping down to -40 celcius).
What would you do if the temp was -40 Farenheit?
Old 05-12-2008, 08:52 PM   #38

Name: Ian or Vicki
Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Explorer Sport Trac
British Columbia
Quote:
What would you do if the temp was -40 Farenheit?
As I assume you know, those temperatures are the same.
As in VERY unpleasant.
cheers
Ian