HELP changing anode in water heater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2017, 01:10 PM   #1

Name: BJ
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21' Formerly 2015 Escape 19'
Wisconsin
HELP changing anode in water heater

Escape 19: we are trying to change out the anode in the hot water heater and my husband is having trouble seating it so the screw threads do not cross. Any tricks? The weight of the anode portion pulls the alignment out so it is difficult to get properly seated.

Suggestions requested
bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:49 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
...patience and care, maybe a socket that will hold the "nut" tighter and allow a better "grip" and provide leverage with a short extension...

...perhaps wrapping the "nut" with blue tape or saran wrap to tighten the grip of the existing socket...

...more patience and care...

You'll get there!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:51 PM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
That is definitely the worst part of emptying the water heater. You just have to be patient. I know it's difficult to do, but you have to put downward pressure on the head of the anode while pushing it in, to try and get things aligned. It probably took me an hour to get it right the first time, but it gets easier every time I do it now
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:57 PM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Stuff some foam or something in the socket that will put pressure on the bolt so that the threads stay lined up.

Or you could turn the trailer on its side and use the power of gravity.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
May I ask what brand water heater this is???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsmitty View Post
Escape 19: we are trying to change out the anode in the hot water heater and my husband is having trouble seating it so the screw threads do not cross. Any tricks? The weight of the anode portion pulls the alignment out so it is difficult to get properly seated.

Suggestions requested
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:54 PM   #6

Name: A
Trailer: Escape
California
Takes a little pratice, but not too bad. I use 2 hands, left index finger in front of the hole to help support. The important thing is to raise the anode so it's pointing up, so use your left index finger as a teeter-totter to help your right hand push down (lifting the anode end) as it turns the threads. Make sure there's no debris in the threads either. Good luck!
goalie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:40 AM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
May I ask what brand water heater this is???
I'm thinking it's an Atwood brand, but since I'm stuck at work, can't go look
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:26 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If it's an Atwood, they're aluminum and do NOT need an "anode" rod. They just need "flushing" periodically. I've ran my for 7 yrs now with no anode rod. The "steel" tanks are the ones that need it. (Suburban)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
I'm thinking it's an Atwood brand, but since I'm stuck at work, can't go look
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:29 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Get a 6 point 1-1/16 socket. Stuff it with paper to leave just enough depth to take the hex head of the anode. If it's not a snug fit wrap a layer of tape on it.
DO NOT use "lots of teflon tape" as another writer said.
But, make sure all old teflon is removed and the threads are clean. Wrap only two layers of teflon, starting one thread in from the end, and in the same direction you turn to tighten.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:32 AM   #10

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
It's important to use a six cornered socket to hold it tight. I do have to fiddle a bit to get it lined up but always manage after a few tries.
It would be a Suburban heater. The Atwoods are aluminum and don't use an Anode.
Oops, I see Darral already reported that, so I'm just verifying.
I wish all manufacturers would use the Atwood so we could dispense with anodes. The only FB manufacturer I know that does is Bigfoot. If I ever have to replace mine I'd get an Atwood.
Good luck.

Walt
Old 11-15-2017, 11:39 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsmitty View Post

Suggestions requested
Since i keep a roll of quarters in the truck, I stack enough in the socket so that the anode bolt head just fits in the deep socket. That lets you put direct pressure on the bolt, making it easier to align & start the threads. Others have suggested washers, but the quarters fit & I have them handy...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:44 AM   #12

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I hope he is starting by screwing it in by hand. That way you won't cross thread it and once you have turned it a couple of times you can then put a socket on it. If you start out by putting a socket on it you take a chance of cross threading it. I have been wrenching on things my whole life and have never cross threaded anything when starting it by hand. I have cross threaded a few things when starting out with a wrench or socket.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:46 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Years ago, my father taught me anything metal to metal that's threaded you start by using your fingers, not a tool. An anode is just weird. It's long so actually wants to tip down while you're trying to get the threads started and holding your mouth just right too

IF you can get your hand in there and slightly tip the rod up... just a tad, you may find it easier to get it started. If the threads are clean, and everything is lined up just right it actually goes in pretty easy. Next time, muscle memory will help. And remember, the rod only needs to be tight enough to NOT leak. You don't need to use a torque wrench.

On edit: Lee I just read your post. We both must have been typing at the same time! I wonder if whomever taught you and my Dad were twins separated at birth!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:55 AM   #14

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
And remember, the rod only needs to be tight enough to NOT leak. You don't need to use a torque wrench.
Yes, but a torque wrench will help prevent overtightening as well, as long as you set it to around 8 ft-lbs. Here's an instruction sheet from Camco:
Click image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_1510768328662.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	113799
Old 11-15-2017, 12:09 PM   #15

Texas
Registry
Donna D. Maybe. I have always enjoyed working with my hands and I know I have saved a fortune by doing my own maintenance. I have changed out my anode a few times and have noticed that the weight of the anode rod makes it a little difficult to get started where the threads properly engage. I just push down a little on the end of the anode when screwing it in to compensate and it has worked every time for me. I don't use a torque wrench even though I have one, I just have a feel for how snug it should be and that works for me.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:39 AM   #16

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I had all kinds of problems getting it back in until I sat on a stool to thread it in. Seems that the lower approach made it easier to align the rod with the threads.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:43 AM   #17

Texas
Registry
I call them milk buckets and at my age it isn't a luxury but a necessity.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:12 PM   #18

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBreez View Post
Stuff some foam or something in the socket that will put pressure on the bolt so that the threads stay lined up.

Or you could turn the trailer on its side and use the power of gravity.
I had the same problem as the OP. Just could NOT get the darn thing lined up. Given the lack of space to turn it on its side <_<, I put a piece of gravel in the socket and I could hold the rod in the correct position. Worked like a charm. A big thank you!!! (Should have saved the magic rock!)

-- Anne
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:52 PM   #19

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Just wanted to thank everyone that contributed to this thread.

I tried and tried and couldn't seat the anode. I wrapped electrical tape around the nut and filled the socket with quarters. Screwed in 1st try.

I'm sure most of you already know this, but the water tank can be pressurized even when the heater element is not on. Drain your system before removing the anode. (Fortunately my experience was with cold water!)
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:56 PM   #20

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I had a terrible time getting it started. When I sat down on a stool it went very easily.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote