Help for Buying and transporting trailer from Canada to US - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #1

Name: Tania
Trailer: Newbie owners of TrailMite
Oregon
Registry
Help for Buying and transporting trailer from Canada to US

I am interested in some trailers posted here that are in Canada. Any thoughts on what to do or watch out for if buying and transporting to the US? Any advice before I proceed and don't get the right paperwork? Just don't know the procedure. ~Thanks in advance!
TaniaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
25+ year old trailer are not a problem importing into the US. Anything "newer" unless right from the factory MAY be problematic... depending on what state you are domiciled.

I see you are in Oregon.... yeah, look for something 25 years old or older, or brand spanking new.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #3

Oregon
Registry
Thank you Donna. I'll stick to the 25 yrs or older category.
So if I have a Bill of sale and signed Title I should be ok?
Old 08-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Something you are going to find is we dont actually have in Canada what in the US is commonly known as called "Title" document. If you ask most Canadians for a "title" document you are going to get the responsive of 'what the heck is that?". As a result many in the US think they cant actually confirm if there is anything owing on a trailer they buy which is not correct.

We have what is know as "registration" and in order to get plates for a trailer it must be registered in the owners name. We also have what is called "ownership transfer papers" which the registered owner must give you fully signed before ownership can be changed and it can be registered in your name. I understand that a few people have had some trouble with presenting the Canadian ownership transfer paper work to their local authorities but its simply a matter of the party looking at the documents dont actually understand at first what they are and once they look into what the paper work actually is there is no problem registering the trailer in the US purchasers name in the US.

In regards to the "title" papers that someone from the US may be looking for, we have what is called a Chattel Mortgage register. Any trailer, car or boat that has a lean against it will have its serial number registered in the Chattel Mortgage data base. If the trailer is not in the data base it has no leans registered against it. You can check to see if there is a chattel mortgage on a trailer for I think about $20 and you can ask the party selling the trailer to do it and provide you with the print out results. They can do it on line - even though a great many Canadians dont realize they can :-) Trust me when you trade a car, trailer or boat in the first thing the dealer will do is run a check to see if it has any chattels registered against it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #5

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
We had a couple from Washington state buy our 1976 Trillium and we live by a very small border crossing. It caused some excitement as they had never dealt with such an old canadian trailer coming across. Just took a little while for them to locate the right form though and they were on their way with no hassle or fees.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #6

Oregon
Registry
Thank you everyone. That is exactly the information I was looking for. My husband was not willing to buy anything in Canada without understanding what it would take to get it across the border and registered in the US (and I agree), but also I did not want to rule out some awesome trailers.
So Donna, or anyone, why would the newer models 26yrs and newer be harder to deal with?
Old 08-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Raya posted some good stuff on this topic here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post154524
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #8

Oregon
Registry
WOW! Okay I get it! Guess I will be waiting for a Canadian trailer for awhile, but this information was super. I will refer to it (and of course our local DMV too) for future purchases.
We found a 13' TrailMite fixer upper and bought it this weekend. Hubby can't wait to start, so he has his fix for now. Thank you again.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Pictures Tania?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #10

Oregon
Registry
will do. Tearing it apart right now. Got some will download tomorrow