Help me decide.... - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2010, 05:18 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Reflectix comes in different configurations for different applications. I've used several types for different projects. I've never used or seen Astro Foil in person.

Reflectix Inc. | Products

Floyd what are the differences since you have handled both? Which is more flexible?
Old 09-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #42

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Actually on Scamps parts page under product discription it reads "Astro Foil insulation. Double bubble with foil on both sides"

Heres the link to their page: Foil Ray Insulation (Per Sq. Ft.)
Interesting - Scamp refers to it both as "Foil Ray" and "Astro Foil." I don't find a lot on "Foil Ray" online; "Astro Foil" has a website. Perhaps they have used either one in the past, depending on pricing and availability. From what I read about "Astro Foil" and "Reflectix," they sound similar, and, more importantly, like they have similar R-value and needs, in terms of air space and etc. This would make sense, since it's the concept of radiant insulation.

I did also find a site that was apparently talking about insulation products to use for their program, and they seemed to mention all three interchangeably.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #43

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I stand corrected and apologize,
at least on the product name.
When I saw the responses here I went to Menard's to check for sure.
I thought they sold "Astro foil" and that Scamp used Reflextix.
Much to my chagrin I found Reflextix on the shelf.
My only conclusion is that I have transposed the two product names in my mind.
So here is what I know...
The product which Scamp used on my 2004,is more substantial than the Reflextix which I just checked at Menard's and is of a somewhat different construction. As I stated earlier I have held both in my hand. I have held a sample at the Scamp factory on two occasions, and of course just checked the Menard's offering again.
It may be that there is more than one thickness available, the minor difference affects texture, or I'm just wrong.
I had resisted considering the local product offering as inferior to that which I saw at Scamp but maybe it will be more attractive in the future.
Sorry for speaking from memory alone without checking first.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:58 PM   #44

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
No need to apologize, we are just trying to figure it all out. I'd never even heard of Astro Foil before today!
Old 09-23-2010, 06:24 PM   #45

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
Reflectix comes in different configurations for different applications. I've used several types for different projects. I've never used or seen Astro Foil in person.

Reflectix Inc. | Products

Floyd what are the differences since you have handled both? Which is more flexible?
The offering from Scamp seemed to be more flexible, but the reflextix[Menard's offering] being slightly stiffer, might actually handle and glue easier.
If I recall correctly... The surface of the reflextix seems to be glued more "linear" whereas the Astrofoil seems more evenly sprayed.
I am assuming the brands here since it was prefire 2003 when I ordered my 2004 13.
Bear in mind that these are the impressions of a man who has just demonstrated a fallable memory!

If I use either in the near future I will report here.
I will probably use the reflextix since Menard's is only a mile from the house.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #46

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Wow, all you people so interested in insulation - my wife and I decided we don't want to go camping if the nights are below 40 or the days below 65 (F, not C).

I guess that's what spending the last 35 years in Florida will do for you. We get chilly when the temperature drops below 75F. (But we won't go camping if it's in the 90s, either.)
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:16 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
I guess that's what spending the last 35 years in Florida will do for you. We get chilly when the temperature drops below 75F. (But we won't go camping if it's in the 90s, either.)
Well that should give you a solid couple of weeks
Old 09-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #48

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Floyd - your apologize was not needed I was just getting a bit confused as to the various products.

I'm inteasted in the insulation value as we can get cold nights in fall and spring here. I am also thinking I might use the trailer this winter. I do know though that it only takes the furnace on for a few minutes to have the trailer warm up fast its not a big space so not sure the R value is really that big of an issue.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I do know though that it only takes the furnace on for a few minutes to have the trailer warm up fast its not a big space so not sure the R value is really that big of an issue.
I hear you Carol. The space is very small, and I find drafts to be at least as noticeable than general heat/cold transmission, given some insulation (vs. a bare shell).

On the other hand, I feel it's important for information that folks may be using to make decisions and comparisons between trailers to be accurate. It's only fair.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:17 AM   #50

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Have we digressed?

The original post was by Jim Norman trying to decide between a Scamp and a Casita.
Now we seem to be talking insulation.

Jim, buy a Trillium!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:10 AM   #51

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
What I'm trying to decide is that while using the camper in the winter, either with or without hookups, which one is better suited. The choice is between an all electric Egg Camper which seems to be better insulated that either the Scamp or the Casita. However both of Scamp and Casita's have a propane furnace. I can always add a catalytic heater later if the need arises. But, how often while enroute or while camping does your camper need the propane heat and you do not have electric available? Cooking outside is always be my choice if weather permits.
Someone mentioned earlier that I'm trying to decide between rv'ing and camping. That may be really what I'm trying to decide but everyone has given some insight as to their ideas and opinions and I wish to thank them for it.
Ray N. says he only camps between 65-90 degrees, I like to camp below 65 to 25 degrees, less crowds and more campsites available!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #52

Well, insulation can be an important feature, so while it may be a digression it doesn't seem like a bad one (to me anyway) when comparing trailers. Hopefully those who aren't interested won't mind skipping past the insulation posts.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #53

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have read, in the past, Eggcamper will build yours with propane. I wonder what they would charge(or add on price) for a simple one propane bottle, small propane cooktop. With everything else keft alone and electric. If the cost was low enough, folks might then be able to leave behind the trusty coleman cooktop.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #54

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Possibly providing propane powered systems impacts to the trailer manufacturer's insurance premium?

I think these Safari Alto trailers with the Glass panel popups are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but they won't even discuss selling one to an American for liability reasons, even if I pick it up in Canada! Alto model 1733 - By Safari Condo

Regards,

Matt
Old 09-24-2010, 03:21 PM   #55

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
What I'm trying to decide is that while using the camper in the winter, either with or without hookups, which one is better suited. The choice is between an all electric Egg Camper which seems to be better insulated that either the Scamp or the Casita. However both of Scamp and Casita's have a propane furnace. I can always add a catalytic heater later if the need arises. But, how often while enroute or while camping does your camper need the propane heat and you do not have electric available? Cooking outside is always be my choice if weather permits.
Someone mentioned earlier that I'm trying to decide between rv'ing and camping. That may be really what I'm trying to decide but everyone has given some insight as to their ideas and opinions and I wish to thank them for it.
Ray N. says he only camps between 65-90 degrees, I like to camp below 65 to 25 degrees, less crowds and more campsites available!

Are you thinking of buying new or used?

If new, then Egg Camper can build you a new one with propane. If I don't remember the exact amount, but they will charge you between $700 - $1,000 more for the Propane version.

Jim Palmer tries to dissuade people from getting Propane so it would be difficult to find a used Egg Camper with Propane.

Regarding the Egg Camper, I really do not know how well insulated it is. It has a double layer of fiberglass, but not double pane windows. I do not know how that would translate into comfort when camping in 25 degrees. Have you spoken with Jim Palmer about this?

I rarely tow with Propane tank on. However, if I am stopping somewhere en route and leave the trailer parked to visit or tour the town, I need to switch my refrigerator to Propane.

As I mentioned in one of my posts, I found myself dry camping in 30 degree temperatures during the month of June. I discovered that the heater was not working. It took me a week to get near enough to a city and locate someone with good references to fix the heater. Because I had an insulated trailer, I did not suffer the lack of heat at all. In fact, it was my friends with stick trailers who pressured me into getting it fixed. The situation would have been very different had I been camping in a Casita or Scamp.

Once I got the propane heater working (a 10 minute fix), I only needed to heat up the cabin before going to bed and getting out of bed. The insulated cabin kept in the heat.

I was still actively looking for a trailer early last winter and spent a fair amount of time monitoring this forum and the 2 Casita forums. As winter approached, a lot of threads addressed the issue of cold weather camping and traveling in snowy conditions. I noted many observations that Casitas (and) Scamps are really not designed for cold weather. This is not meant as criticism of these excellent trailers.

If you think that you will regularly find yourself in temperatures less than 40 degrees, perhaps you should look into something that was designed for "4 seasons" camping.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:51 PM   #56

Registry
Wow, all you people so interested in insulation - my wife and I decided we don't want to go camping if the nights are below 40 or the days below 65 (F, not C).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
Well that should give you a solid couple of weeks
You must be thinking of somewhere else, here in the beautiful panhandle of Florida that gives us from Feb 16 to June 18 in the Spring, and Aug 28 to Dec 4 in the Fall. A little over seven months, (According to the daily averages at The Weather Channel.)
(I know, that still makes us wusses).
Old 09-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #57

Registry
Jim, (cpaharley)
I wouldn't put too much stock in any additional insulation provided by the double wall construction of the EggCamper. I know that once the sun starts to shine on ours it heats up really fast. I doubt that the R-factor is really very much at all. That, plus the single pane windows, wouldn't make it much (if any) better than the Casita/Scamp option. I think the insulation value of any of them is of secondary importance to which one "fits" you the best.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #58

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Winter camping. We saw alot of that in Eastern Montana last winter except it was called temporary housing.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #59

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I have a double-shell Uhaul (no insulation, just air between the shells) and my girlfriend has a Scamp (single shell, with some sort of lightweight insulation under the furry wall liner). We've camped together several times, and I have been in both campers in hot and cold temperatures. In my experience, the Scamp maintains a more regular temperature than my Uhaul. ......But I still wouldn't trade in my UHaul for anything else, because I prefer the smooth walls to furry walls. So its really what you want from a trailer that can also decide.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote