Help please-front mount air conditioner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #1

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
Help please-front mount air conditioner

So our Casita has the front mount ac below the closet. It really didn't work very well. We bought a stronger fan to help get it around the corner and it helped a little but I was wondering if others with this configuration had the same problem, and if there was any way to correct it other than putting a roof mount on? Ed installed it new and it looks new and did a good job on it so I really hate to have to change it out if there are any ideas out there that would help. I look at my egg and I figure that little air conditioner should just about freeze us out. Opinions anyone?
Oh and ps, we can't see where the water comes out, is there a trick we don't know about?
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Shelly
I had decided there were really two issues that prevented the AC from freezing out anything in there unless it was standing in the doorway.

The biggest thing I think is that the thermostat is right where all of the cold air stays all the time. The unit cycles on and immediately tells the T'Stat it is cool enough and it cycles off before anything else is cooled.

I was planning on ducting the cold air away from the unit and towards the Bathroom door and then aim it towards the bed area.
By doing this the thermostat would not cause the unit to cycle until it was cooled by the air that was more evenly distributed through the trailer.

I would also have the duct throw the air upwards so it could fall towards the bed area as it will naturally want to do.

I have read as much as I could find about this and most people seem much happier once this is done with the ability of the AC to cool the trailer.

If you search here and the Casita sites you will find several clever and diverse ways this has been done and I am sure Dave can take it from there.

The second thing is that I am impatient and maybe too cheap.
If I started the AC early in the day and let it keep the trailer cool instead of trying to cool it down once I got inside things worked a lot better. Sort of like with the fridge where people pre chill the food and stick it in there cold . Luckily you don't have that problem though as your fridge is a Demon in cooling as is my new one.

As for the water,the new units are so efficient that they use most of the water they pull from the air to cool the motor as it runs.
There is a fan that scoops it up in back and splashes it over the running motor so there is not much left over.
The closet floor is not attached in any way except friction and if you lift it out you can see how the thing is framed in there. There is a shallow tray for the water to collect before running over the edge and then out the floor vent. I almost ever saw any water on the ground either and that was even while running it around the clock in Joplin in 100 degree heat.

Make Sense?

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #3

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
Sounds like i need to do some searches for that modification. Thanks Ed.
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote