HELP! Ridge Molding, etc Burro Camper f - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2011, 07:39 AM   #1

Name: Liz
Trailer: burro
Maryland
Wink HELP! Ridge Molding, etc Burro Camper f

I rehab vintage campers as a hobby so I have pretty good camper knowledge but I've never done anything with a fiberglass camper so i thought I'd try my hand at it. I'm a bit stumped. I bought a pretty inexpensive burro to toy with which has been fun in a tear your hair out sort of way. I know there has been discussions on this but I didn't truly understand I need it broken down to a "burro's for dummies" level. The trim that goes along the ridge seems to be rubber and dry rotted. Do I remove this and run a bead of high quality caulk in ridge and replace with new trim? If so WHAT is this trim and where do I get it. I hear talk of t mold, but this trim is u shaped, I can't seem to find the right size. I tried JC whitney, does anyone have the direct link to the trim?

Next, why does my burro not have fiberglass seats, somebody made seats, cabinet and closet out of chipboard (hideous) Were seats an options and do I have a burro made by the cheapest person ever? If so I'm taking suggestions on how make this look no so hideous. I was thinking of refacing with some sort of pretty veneer.

Last question, am I seeing this right? I notice that windows are screwed in from the inside! I've never seen that before? Are they going the right direction? The look like they have been leaking like a sieve - which might just mean they have to be resealed - but they look backwards to me.

BIG THANKS in advance - cause I know you guys know your stuff and I wait anxiously for your sage like wisdom

Liz in Maryland

Thanks guys - Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yes, screws are used on the inside of the windows... on the clamp ring. If installed properly no screws or bolts should be visable on the outside.

Burros are double-hull and the cabinetry is built in fiberglass. Wonder why you don't have it? Burro did build kits that allowed new owners to build their own, but I thought the body was all put together in the kits.... do you have any pictures to post?

Welcome to FiberglassRV Liz, we're glad you found us
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:02 PM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
The flexible trim you're looking for is call "Trimlok" and not so surprisingly, you'll find it and it's eponymous manuf./distributor on the WWW. Think I recall it comes it black and white. I have white on my Escondido jackass. It doesn't look real good but I keep it cause it's still functional and reminds me what the whole mess looked like 5 mo. ago. I'm no expert but after looking at the handwritten drwgs. and instructions for assembly of a Burro kit which presumably came from the manuf., I would guess that a kit sold without interior shells would be a case of never say never and probably as likely as not. There's very little reason to fab a kit unless you just don't have the bucks and if you don't then buying half the kit you need would probably seem either attractive or unavoidable. With that said, I'm sort of glad I've got a boxstock factory trailer.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
We've just got to see photos of this DIY ugly interior before you tear it apart and it's lost to poster-ior-ity!

Regards

Matt
Old 08-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #5

Liz, are you asking about the exterior trim of the trailer, or the interior portion which has that ridgeline that folks fill with everything from carpet to bamboo slats?
Old 08-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #6

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Liz, are you asking about the exterior trim of the trailer, or the interior portion which has that ridgeline that folks fill with everything from carpet to bamboo slats?
Liz describes as having a "U" section so I assume she's talking the rubberized "stick" of staples that covers the bonded flanges on the exterior. ICBWBIDTS

jack
Old 08-06-2011, 09:34 AM   #7

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
I wouldn't recommend buying your trim from TrimLok because they will charge you a arm and 2 legs for it and most of the time require a min. order of 250'..I buy mine from E-bay.... sellers on there are usually people who work with the stuff every day on different projects and will sell left overs very cheap..I've bought several different types in the past but the one your looking for I think is this one..1/4" Black Edge Trim Lok Camper Trailer RV Seals | eBay

Hope this helps RANDY
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #8

Name: Liz
Trailer: burro
Maryland
found trim - were to use gell coat? Paint on floors

Hi folks thanks for all your help. In the end I found the 1/4 rubber trim in white at JC whiney at about 30ish bucks. Yeah.

I will try to up load pix of beast, carpet should get award for moldiest nastiest rotted mess ever. I mean if there were such an award.

From what I can see everyone elses camper has a nice shiny gel coat finish, after I paint the interior out, do I also gel coat inside as well?

Lastly am I committing crimes against humanity if I use an expoy based floor paint for floor? If so stop me now.

thanks
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:04 AM   #9

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizh View Post
Hi folks thanks for all your help. In the end I found the 1/4 rubber trim in white at JC whiney at about 30ish bucks. Yeah.

I will try to up load pix of beast, carpet should get award for moldiest nastiest rotted mess ever. I mean if there were such an award.

From what I can see everyone elses camper has a nice shiny gel coat finish, after I paint the interior out, do I also gel coat inside as well?

Lastly am I committing crimes against humanity if I use an expoy based floor paint for floor? If so stop me now.
thanks

Don't know how bad your finish is but you might want to take a look at the REDMAX finish first could save some money, time and back breaking work...Read this link might help you out...http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ell-43004.html
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #10

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
Don't know how bad your finish is but you might want to take a look at the REDMAX finish first could save some money, time and back breaking work...Read this link might help you out...http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ell-43004.html
Hope you're listening because Randy the Shine Bringer is giving you the strait dope on Red Max Pro. Takes a bit of work but the result is worth it imo.

jack
Old 08-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #11
JMS

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Burro
Registry
Seam moulding

I bought mine from Scamp. Just call them and they sell it by the foot

Quote:
I rehab vintage campers as a hobby so I have pretty good camper knowledge but I've never done anything with a fiberglass camper so i thought I'd try my hand at it. I'm a bit stumped. I bought a pretty inexpensive burro to toy with which has been fun in a tear your hair out sort of way. I know there has been discussions on this but I didn't truly understand I need it broken down to a "burro's for dummies" level. The trim that goes along the ridge seems to be rubber and dry rotted. Do I remove this and run a bead of high quality caulk in ridge and replace with new trim? If so WHAT is this trim and where do I get it. I hear talk of t mold, but this trim is u shaped, I can't seem to find the right size. I tried JC whitney, does anyone have the direct link to the trim?

Next, why does my burro not have fiberglass seats, somebody made seats, cabinet and closet out of chipboard (hideous) Were seats an options and do I have a burro made by the cheapest person ever? If so I'm taking suggestions on how make this look no so hideous. I was thinking of refacing with some sort of pretty veneer.

Last question, am I seeing this right? I notice that windows are screwed in from the inside! I've never seen that before? Are they going the right direction? The look like they have been leaking like a sieve - which might just mean they have to be resealed - but they look backwards to me.

BIG THANKS in advance - cause I know you guys know your stuff and I wait anxiously for your sage like wisdom

Liz in Maryland

Thanks guys - Liz
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:23 AM   #12

Quote:

thanks
oooooh I want to SEE it! I've contemplated for years to put down epoxy (with chips) like they put on garage floors. It's still on the mods list, just haven't taken the time.

Good luck!!!!
Old 09-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #13

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
Hi.....I. Just got an 1982 Borro so I am right there with you! I have a problem with a refrig that slipped out of the frame during the drive home. Any ideas on how to stabilize it? I have access thru the outside bottom vent but it's really cramped! Any ideas would sure help! My previous owner did a carpet job and covered up the holes for the table tube.....thinking of bagging it and buying a collapsible table.......thoughts?
Lfoxmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #14

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Randy the Shine Bringer is giving you the strait dope on Red Max Pro.
Missed that line the first time around, love it!
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfoxmont View Post
Hi.....I. Just got an 1982 Borro so I am right there with you! I have a problem with a refrig that slipped out of the frame during the drive home. Any ideas on how to stabilize it? I have access thru the outside bottom vent but it's really cramped! Any ideas would sure help! My previous owner did a carpet job and covered up the holes for the table tube.....thinking of bagging it and buying a collapsible table.......thoughts?
Linda, I'd encourage you to start a new thread with your questions. They tend to get buried at the end of someone else's thread, plus answers start getting confusing - are subsequent answers addressed to you or the original poster?

A picture will get you a lot better answers than just a general question. Many of us don't own your model, but can help if we understand the circumstances. It is easy to post pictures, just ask how if it is not obvious.

Tags
burro